News   Apr 26, 2024
 104     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

I don't get the tweet. So is this a temp installation?
There's a portion of the lights that arent working right now on the left sign, so they are planning on fixing it. That may be the time frame where they are planning on having it repaired.

I wonder if the visual distinction of the sign during the day will be improved with the lights on.

There's a portion of the lights that arent working right now on the left sign, so they are planning on fixing it. That may be the time frame where they are planning on having it repaired.
That's interesting, I thought the non-working bits tried to replicate the fact that the original sign had parts that didn't work properly as well.

The Sam the Record Man sign was lit up on Friday after 10 years of being dormant.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...d-man-sign-lights-up-yonge-dundas-square.html

Seems like it was there just a while ago- but 10 years is actually a long time!

Going by the photo on the previous page it looks pretay good with the lights on. So that's a sigh of relief. Obviously it doesn't match the red and black top of the old turntable. But so long as it's illuminated during the day I don't think it will be the shocker we initially thought. Expands on Dundas Sq's lights quite well, yet stands out since it's not some transcorporate logo.

I wonder if the visual distinction of the sign during the day will be improved with the lights on.

Going by the photo on the previous page it looks pretay good with the lights on. So that's a sigh of relief. Obviously it doesn't match the red and black top of the old turntable. But so long as it's illuminated during the day I don't think it will be the shocker we initially thought. Expands on Dundas Sq's lights quite well, yet stands out since it's not some transcorporate logo.

The lights are invisible during the day with nothing behind them to show contrast. The daytime photos and videos that have been circulating are with the lights on.

https://twitter.com/metromanto/status/938104214475169792

Watching it on the news, I realized that they couldn’t even get the lighting right. The records are supposed to be spinning in opposite directions. They’re also spinning much slower. This really confirms to me that they just built a cheap knockoff of the signs. The original records are sitting in pieces in a landfill somewhere.

So much for “heritage designation”.

Watching it on the news, I realized that they couldn’t even get the lighting right. The records are supposed to be spinning in opposite directions. They’re also spinning much slower. This really confirms to me that they just built a cheap knockoff of the signs. The original records are sitting in pieces in a landfill somewhere.

So much for “heritage designation”.
If you read the articles they couldn't reuse the old ones because of the led in the glass tubes plus they were in bad condition when they were taken down from the store. Parts were rusted out. Making copies may have been the only way they could have actually put them up again.

The lights have been on during the day for the last week and you really can't see them , Sadly, the vast majority of people, tourists and Torontonians alike, will only see this sign during the day and wonder what the hell is going on here, It needs to look good during the day and night!

If you read the articles they couldn't reuse the old ones because of the led in the glass tubes plus they were in bad condition when they were taken down from the store. Parts were rusted out. Making copies may have been the only way they could have actually put them up again.
How do we know this is true? Ryerson has proven that they should not be trusted and they do have an agenda, (to try to get out of legal contracts and spend as little money on this sign as possible)

I saw the sign tonight in person. It looked fine to me. I don't get what all the commotion is about but then I didn't grow up in Toronto so maybe I'm not as emotionally invested.

Back