News   Jul 15, 2024
 675     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 851     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

Worst names for condo project

I always thought Opera Place was a kick in the jewels given the property's original plan (The Opera House).

Yeah, that was really galling until we got an actual opera house. Now though I just consider Wellesley & Bay's Aria to be the least inspiring one I've experienced.

I like the name Sapphire even though the project was scrapped it has a nice catchy name and from the old rendering it would have fit the name with its green tinted glass. Poor Stinson.

The name held so much potential for a possible Amos n' Andy tower to match.

Yeah, Beyond the Sea is certainly corny name, but that stupid song keeps ringing in my head, "Somewhere beyond the sea, somewhere waiting for me..."

As love songs go, I think the lyric for Beyond The Sea is a gorgeous one. Particularly the repitition of the word beyond applied to different physical and emotional contexts which are rather absurdly compared ( "far beyond the star ... near beyond the moon ... I know beyond a doubt" ) where the most attainable and real state is "beyond a doubt" which is the only non-physical one; the use of "beyond" to describe the sea rather than "over" the sea is memorable, the idea of separation and meeting again, of someone waiting and someone travelling to them, even the mixed metaphor of "If I could fly like birds on high Then straight to her arms I'd go sailing".

No wonder the song won't go away.

There is something really corny about a lot of the condo names and marketing.

It's so baldly asperational. Sometimes it is downright embarassing 'Success Tower'...please!. Everthing has some name like 'DNA' or 'Vibe' that sounds like it should be the name of a bad discoteque or something.

And ads with lifestyle photos of yuppies kissing or sipping champain. Wow.. it is so hip and sexy to live in a 580 Sq ft. shoebox.

Tacky, Tacky, Tacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp07
I like the name Sapphire even though the project was scrapped it has a nice catchy name and from the old rendering it would have fit the name with its green tinted glass. Poor Stinson.

The name held so much potential for a possible Amos n' Andy tower to match.
Yeah, residential conversions of T-D and Royal Trust. Black as coal, they be, yowzah. Pass tha watermelon

When it comes down to it, names don't mean a thing when it comes to sales. Look how quickly Beyond the Sea sold out, and by the crane already going up at Success Tower the sales must be pretty good. If you were to ask potential buyer what's the most important factor for purchasing a project they would probably say the location, price, the amenity, floor plan, features and builders reputation. I doubt anyone would say I bought it because it had such a cool name.

Back