News   May 07, 2024
 471     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 421     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 908     3 

Woman dies after being struck by bike on sidewalk

I was from one end to the other end in Mississauga Sunday and saw over 100 cycles.

3 were on the road.

about 15 where young kids legal to ride the sidewalk.

The rest were adults. That's saying something.

Who wants to ride car city roads in the first place when drivers think they own the road in the first place.

Saw a number of bikes on the buses as well and a lot more than I see else where. Even a few on the GO buses.

It would be nice if the city gets around painting the roads where bike lanes are mark out to go now. It's been months since the marking went down. A few places will see on street parking remove for the lanes.

^ I think on Burnhamthorpe Mississauga is planning to build the segregated bike lanes like the Dutch ones on the previous page

Only in the core area and not at the intersections.

Only in the core area and not at the intersections.

Most of Burnhamthorpe already has a bike path at the side... it is a simple matter of redesigning intersections to allow for bikes to cross roads.

And I am pretty sure the city get approval from the Ontario Ministry of Transport to build bike crossings at intersections. I think I even saw the design and everything. Actually I think it was posted in this forum...

BTW, along which roads are the bike lanes supposed to painted that haven't been yet?

you can't ask a 15 years old boy to fight car traffic on the roads without making sure that there are concrete walls stopping the cars from clipping the bikes.

Kids stay on the side walk. Athough bikes should be slow down when they meet pedestrians, there was no reason why the women should be moving to avoid the bike. It's like giving way to emergency vehicles while driving; you stop and let it by and you don't try to swing out of his way.

Part of the fault is with the woman as well. But hey, in our society the stupid are usually excused from cross-examination when they hit their number.

Police = sidewalk cyclists

I'm often amazed at the bad cycling behaviour of bike cops. During the "Cycle Right" campaign every year, police ticket cyclists for rolling through stop signs and riding on sidewalks, but any other day of the year the Bike Police do the exact same thing.

This morning, riding westbound on Annette St. there were three bike cops ahead of me in the bike lane. As they approached Runnymede Rd., they crossed the street, popped up on the the sidewalk, and continued to ride for a little bit until they reached their favourite hangout at the corner. Mind you, they did signal and shoulder check before changing lanes and riding on the sidewalk, but that doesn't excuse their sidewalk cycling.

A few weeks ago while riding on Perth Ave., the two bike cops riding ahead of me rolled through all of the stop signs without slowing down much. During "Cycle Right", they would have been ticketed (if they were regular civilians, of course).

I can excuse the police for running stop signs and red lights, and even riding on sidewalks in some circumstances, during an emergency. However, in none of the cases where I've seen bike cops breaking the rules have they been rushing to any kind of emergency.

Consistency and enforcement of good behaviour needs to start from the very top.

Most of Burnhamthorpe already has a bike path at the side... it is a simple matter of redesigning intersections to allow for bikes to cross roads.

And I am pretty sure the city get approval from the Ontario Ministry of Transport to build bike crossings at intersections. I think I even saw the design and everything. Actually I think it was posted in this forum...

BTW, along which roads are the bike lanes supposed to painted that haven't been yet?

I'm not a fan of how the Burnhamthorpe Trail is currently designed. The intersections are terrible. I'm looking forward to the new design, but I'm not sure if that will make my ride to work significantly safer or more convenient. Right now I just ride on the road.

Here's a photo-commentary I wrote about the Burnhamthorpe Trail a few years ago after a cyclist was killed while riding over the Credit River bridge:
http://vic.gedris.org/pics/2006-04-07/
Many of the issues with this are still not fixed...

Here's the link with the new MTO-approved intersection designs:
http://www.mississaugacycling.ca/mto-approves-bike-crossings-631.htm

you can't ask a 15 years old boy to fight car traffic on the roads without making sure that there are concrete walls stopping the cars from clipping the bikes.

Kids stay on the side walk. Athough bikes should be slow down when they meet pedestrians, there was no reason why the women should be moving to avoid the bike. It's like giving way to emergency vehicles while driving; you stop and let it by and you don't try to swing out of his way.

Part of the fault is with the woman as well. But hey, in our society the stupid are usually excused from cross-examination when they hit their number.

I don't see the old woman is at fault really. Old people move slowly. If you were old and don't move fast to get out of the way. Then are you saying you are at fault because some kid drove his bike fast and hit you. But you weren't fast enough to get out of the way and got killed?

Frankly I find pedestrians shouldn't be sharing walking spaces with anything that speeds, including rollerblades, skateboards, etc. If you are jogging then I understand. You can stop yourself immediately and not hit people. But roller blades and such takes time to slow down.

To be fair.....

I can see why sometimes some people on bikes take to the sidewalk due to roads being too dangerous for them to navigate.

That being said, many of these said individuals on their bikes and rollerblades and skateboards are just as dangerous and reckless. So.... you have the legal right to ride on the sidewalk, then you have to slow down and when passing people you need to be careful. People aren't doing this.

So when accidents occur, odds are that it wasn't the person walking that caused it. And why would that woman have even been partially responsible to begin with? I don't get it. Rather insulting to suggest she was. The kid should have either stopped or walked his bike past her.

Didn't happen and she's dead. You can blame bad urban planning for this but I believe that in the end, people's carelessness and self entitlement is the real issue here.

Monday, August 10, 2009
A bad week for bicycles: ‘We need to tell people, smarten up’
Posted: August 10, 2009, 6:52 PM by Rob Roberts
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...cycles-we-need-to-tell-people-smarten-up.aspx

By Michael McKiernan, National Post

Police say Torontonians need a refresher on bicycle safety after three accidents in the last week left one person dead and two more with life-threatening injuries.

Although police say serious incidents involving bicycles are rare, the end of the city strike, combined with a spell of better weather, has increased the number of recreational cyclists on the roads.

“We need to tell people: Listen, smarten up. There are certain rules that you really have to pay attention to because they really are lifesavers,” said Sgt. Tim Burrows of the Traffic Services department. “We’ve had some very stark reminders this week about the dangers, but we would much rather say it than show it.”

On Thursday, a 15-year-old riding on the sidewalk hit a 57-year-old woman. She died after cracking her head on the pavement.

Although city bylaws allow bikes as small as the child’s on the sidewalk, Sgt. Burrows says cyclists should stick to the road.

“Bicycles are made for the roads,” he said, adding that riders who feel unsure about riding on the road should take lessons until they feel confident enough.

“If it’s still too scary for you, maybe you should reconsider your mode of transportataion,” he said.

On Friday, a 44-year-old man, also riding on the sidewalk, was left with serious injuries after a car hit him at the entrance to Yorkdale Mall. Both had made the turn into the mall from opposite directions.

Then on Sunday, a 50-year-old man was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries when he crashed into a bridge support on Royal York Road on an evening ride with his children. He took his eye off the road to check on one of the children and hit the concrete support holding up CN rail tracks above.

The rider in that incident, as with the other two, was not wearing a helmet.

“There’s no way to quantify how serious the injuries would be had he been wearing a helmet, but that’s something we would always recommend,” Sgt. Burrows said.

It’s not just cyclists that have a responsibility to improve safety, according to Constable Hugh Smith, who used to patrol the streets with Toronto Police’s bike unit.

“Bicycles have a right to be on our roads and they shouldn’t have to be fearful because they’re worried about what a driver’s going to do,” he said.

In June, Const. Smith was involved in a week-long bicycle safety enforcement campaign. Around 2,000 tickets were handed out to cyclists for disobeying traffic signals or improper equipment, while 3,500 motorists were fined for failing to yield to cyclists and opening doors carelessly.

“Everybody feels a bit like they’re being targeted, but really it’s about making cyclists and motorists aware and keeping them safe,” he said.

b789425647cfbe0e16f3a04ed108.jpeg

MD-2006-04-07-019.jpg

main_post_9386.jpeg

vs.

IMG_0199-bike-lane_1.jpg

buffered_bike_lane1.jpg

dutch_3.jpg

(I think anyone riding a bicycle should obey the rules of the road, but there's a reason why even many of my young 20-something males friend use bike lanes and separated facilities in Holland but ride their bikes on sidewalks here.... )

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/678257

Turns out the teen bikes was legally allowed to be on the sidewalk....

Just because some form of legislation makes it legal for him to have his bike on the sidewalk does not justify the lack of common sense by travelling at (apparently) a high rate of speed around pedestrians, a senior at that. Slow down or get off the bike. I don't want an incident like this to taint the youth by having a criminal charge against him but we have to show people that there are consequences when you don't use common sense.

*** Edit ***

Furthermore the law was designed to allow children riding bicycles to use the sidewalk (I guess they couldn't just say x years and under are allowed on the sidewalk), children are smaller and thus ride smaller bicycles with smaller wheels. However there are many adult bikes with small wheel diameters now (those upright 'cruiser' bikes come to mind) that poleticians could not forsee when the law was created. The law is now inadequate for our current times and should probably be revised.

Last edited:
A lot of new roads these days are NOT designed for the POSTED speed limit. They are designed for speeds 10 km over. That is, if a suburban road has a 60 km/h speed limit sign on it, it was designed for 70. Sometimes, they have reduced the speed limit from 60 to 50, but the fact remains the road itself has a built in design for 70.

And they do drive over the speed limit, reaching 70+. Would you want to ride a bicycle, even if the wheel size is for road use, where traffic is passing you at 70? What speed would the bicycle be doing? Maybe if you are going downhill. Then there are the potholes by the gutter to contend with, you may have to move out more into the middle of the lane. Or give up and go on the sidewalk, because the traffic is speeding past you too fast.

Two things:
  • design roads for the posted speed limit
  • if the speed limit is over 50 km/h, get a physically separated bicycle path built on the road, in both directions.

I'm not a fan of how the Burnhamthorpe Trail is currently designed. The intersections are terrible. I'm looking forward to the new design, but I'm not sure if that will make my ride to work significantly safer or more convenient. Right now I just ride on the road.

And that trail isn't a bike-only path but one of those "multi-use" paths, so you can still run into people. I used to commute along Burnhamthorpe quite often, from Cawthra to Mill Rd. About half of the way has a path; the rest of the time I'd use the sidewalk. I'd encounter maybe 10-15 pedestrians along the way, the majority of which were waiting for the bus at Dixie.

A lot of new roads these days are NOT designed for the POSTED speed limit. They are designed for speeds 10 km over. That is, if a suburban road has a 60 km/h speed limit sign on it, it was designed for 70. Sometimes, they have reduced the speed limit from 60 to 50, but the fact remains the road itself has a built in design for 70.

And they do drive over the speed limit, reaching 70+. Would you want to ride a bicycle, even if the wheel size is for road use, where traffic is passing you at 70? What speed would the bicycle be doing? Maybe if you are going downhill. Then there are the potholes by the gutter to contend with, you may have to move out more into the middle of the lane. Or give up and go on the sidewalk, because the traffic is speeding past you too fast.

Two things:
  • design roads for the posted speed limit
  • if the speed limit is over 50 km/h, get a physically separated bicycle path built on the road, in both directions.
This is true. But many of these roads are designed for higher speed because people regularly travel higher than the speed limit.

What I would rather do is to design roads as they are, but reduce the speed limit of all roads by 10. That way, people would consider 50 (or the speed limit you're trying to encourage) an acceptable push to the limit instead of 60 or 70. Either that, or make police much more strict when ticketing or dealing with people who go even a couple kilometers over the speed limit. The latter would probably increase revenue from tickets, but the first would probably work better, and would make people happier in general.

Roads should be designed well over the intended speed limit. That way, if there's one crazy person drag racing down the road, they won't do any damage and can be prosecuted accordingly by police. Either that, or they could design the road so people are *encouraged* to move slower, but there is no harm against people who crazishly go racing around local roads.

But I do agree that a physically separated bike path should be required for all roads with a speed limit (intended limit) at or over 50. I find that Toronto is rather unaccommodating to bikers, and a very good portion of the infrastructure that actually exists is built around recreational bikers instead of those that use it as an actual means of transportation. I'd like to see some good high speed bike paths, with not nearly as much an emphasis on prettyness as Railpath does.

By the way, I tried railpath a while ago. It was nice, but I had to slow down quite a few times for pedestrians. It's a good start though.

This is true. But many of these roads are designed for higher speed because people regularly travel higher than the speed limit.

What I would rather do is to design roads as they are, but reduce the speed limit of all roads by 10. That way, people would consider 50 (or the speed limit you're trying to encourage) an acceptable push to the limit instead of 60 or 70. Either that, or make police much more strict when ticketing or dealing with people who go even a couple kilometers over the speed limit. The latter would probably increase revenue from tickets, but the first would probably work better, and would make people happier in general.

Roads should be designed well over the intended speed limit. That way, if there's one crazy person drag racing down the road, they won't do any damage and can be prosecuted accordingly by police. Either that, or they could design the road so people are *encouraged* to move slower, but there is no harm against people who crazishly go racing around local roads.

Both engineers and police would likely be against that... people will drive the way a road is designed, having an artificially low speed limit encourages non-compliance and frustrates drivers. It's better to do things like having narrower lanes, adding street parking, putting buildings closer to the street, encouraging pedestrian and cycling traffic, etc. If you give more leeway/room with wide lanes, wide turning radius, big clearance zones on each side of the road etc it won't really provide extra safety because drivers will just increase speeds because they feel they have an extra cushion of safety.

Back