News   Aug 09, 2024
 683     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 612     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.4K     2 

With the benefit of hindsight, how to change Canada's immigration policy?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
With the benefit of hindsight, if you could go back to the late 1960s through to today, how would you change Canada's immigration system?

I'd start by looking at our most successful immigrant communities, such as African, British, Italian, Greek, American (of all sorts), Indian, Chinese, Sikh, eastern European, Jewish (from all origins), and other communities that in the immediate arrival group or in one generation are usually very well integrated, economically successful, entrepreneurial, well educated and with limited criminal or social problems, and make sure I got more of these.

Next I would look at our least successful immigrant communities, where we have generations of social problems such as pan-generational poverty, higher than average criminal involvement, economic failures, and restrict immigration from those countries. Jamaica and other Caribbean (not all) countries would be prime examples. It seems that a week doesn't go by in Toronto where some son of Caribbean-born immigrants is not involved in violent crime in Toronto. The cause of this trouble is definitely poverty and family breakdown, and has nothing to do with race, as Canada's African immigrants are doing well. However, if we can avoid bringing the parents of these future criminals to Canada, we can avoid the problem all together.

Added to the mix, I'd follow Australia's later example by required pre-screening for English (or French), and limit family reunification. I would also enact a "first safe haven" policy for refugee claimants, meaning that you must claim refugee status in the first UN Refugee Charter signatory that you land in, and can not shop around for the best deal, by for example, landing in the US from Haiti (or wherever) but then claiming status in Canada.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. As an immigrant myself I am very grateful to this country for taking us in, and have ensured to show that gratitude by working hard to contribute back. In hindsight how would you adjust Canada's immigration policy from the late 1960s to today.

lol

An Anti-Caribbean immigration post by Admiral Beez. Why does this not surprise me?

Perhaps we should go back in time and force all those of European descent to emmigrate from the country, since that's that background of most criminals?

Just a reminder - the son of a Caribbean born immigrant in Canada is more likely than not a Canadian by birth.

However, if we can avoid bringing the parents of these future criminals to Canada, we can avoid the problem all together.

Nice thought exercise - and just how would one determine if someone's children are going to be criminals, from the perspective of immigration policy of the 60s? Measure skull sizes and facial features, perhaps?

AoD

Your place of birth is not important, and discriminating against someone on that basis is no better than racism.

In an ideal world, we should have an open-door policy to immigration. But since such a policy is not likely to be adopted, our current system is fine.

^It isn't "no better than racism". It is racism.

Admiral Beez hasn't seem to have noticed that the provinces with the highest crime rates in the country also happen to have the highest concentration of people with European backgrounds.

It seems he always has to make his racist views known at regular intervals with these mindless threads against his most hated 'flavour of the moment' ethnic/cultural groups.

Eeech. The Caribbean is like ground-zero for laziness. Barring more of my people from immigrating to Canada is a wise move. We've already brought wine, women, and song. What good is left to bring over?

black caribbeans are descendants of africans brought over during the slave trade. before, some folks didn't have a problem forcing them to immigrate. now, some folks have a problem when they want to immigrate of their own free will. these poor people.

black caribbeans are descendants of africans brought over during the slave trade. before, some folks didn't have a problem forcing them to immigrate. now, some folks have a problem when they want to immigrate of their own free will. these poor people.

Technically I believe it was frequently forced emigration, as it was often other Africans selling their enemies.

But don't feel too bad; the Caribbean was built upon the backs of slaves of all colours and stripes. Though I suppose it's fashionable only to remember some of them ;)

beez, maybe you can start an initiative kinda like the landover baptist church and have thems colored folks you dislike soo much turn in their immigration papers for something you just know they can't resist....

--satire--

Obama '08: Special True Christianâ„¢ Offer For African American Voters:

Trade Us Your Voter's Registration Card For Free Fried Chicken From Popeye's!

Freehold, Iowa - From June 4th to Election Day, anyone (coloreds and unsaved white folks with liberal leanings included) can hip-hop right up to the pearly gates of Landover Baptist Church and exchange their authorized 2008 voter's registration card for a coupon good for one free 2 Piece Chicken Combo Meal (dark meat only) at any Popeye's restaurant in America! Everyone in America has the “right†to vote, but only you will have the right to FREE chicken!

This special offer is our way of sharing the love of Jesus Christ with so-called African Americans and helping them celebrate Barak Obama's victory as the Democratic candidate in the 2008 election. Landover Baptist Church is very excited to make this offer available to the few Negroes in the county who aren’t felons and therefore have -- so far --still clung, with gritty determination, to their voting rights. This is a wonderful opportunity to get your registration card into the hands of Bible believing Christians who will use them to further the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth by carefully utilizing the additional votes as Jesus commands in the upcoming election. This is a chance for you to vote for even more change by putting your faith and trust in the hands of folks who actually can read a newspaper and know more about what Jesus wants for our Nation than you do.

The crawl up to the election has been great fun for everyone so far, and we've all learned a great deal. "I remember I was listening to Billy Sunday on the radio, sipping a glass of lemonade on my porch swing with my favorite rifle resting in my lap, watching an obedient family of young colored folks tilling my fields," said Pastor Deacon Fred. "I must have dozed off for a minute, because when I woke up, some high yellow fellow named Russ Mitchell is reading the news to me on CBS Television and a Negro whose name sounds like something between a sneeze (Bar'aach!) and a cough (Obamaak) was on TV, telling me to help him find a seat the Oval Office!"

"Well, its time we all calmed down a bit," said Pastor. "Coloreds have come a long way from the days where we used to dress them up in suits on Sunday and sit outside the church pointing and laughing at them. It looks like they can dress themselves now. Sort of. I'm not sure when all that happened but I think we get the picture. But we don't want any trouble - you see? There was a time when colored folks were even more proud. A time when there were happy to be rescued from jumping around in trees trying to avoid shooting each other in the butts with bows and arrows. They were saved by our Christian forefathers who brought them to America to learn to serve the Bible. And if Christ can bring a mess of former slaves to believe a book that endorses slavery, we know that His magical powers are really working overtime. But when people in the late 1960's started ignoring good doctors' sanitation advice about keeping separate bathrooms and not drinking from the same fountains, folks got carried away. And now we find ourselves using the same voting booths, and the next thing we know we got us a Nigra half-way to the House that ain’t called White by chance!"

"Well, what the heck! We hope you folks are happy, because we're dead set on celebrating along side you with this wonderful offer. We certainly hope you appreciate it because its costing us millions of taxpayer dollars, but we look at it as an investment. An investment in the future of America! We'll keep your tummies full of chicken, and you keep the more important stuff about running the country to us! Amen? And for those of you coloreds with allergies to chicken, we can supply the free ammo to help you commit that felony you were probably going to go ahead and commit anyway. Why wait?"

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/2008/june/obamaoffer.html

^It isn't "no better than racism". It is racism.

Admiral Beez hasn't seem to have noticed that the provinces with the highest crime rates in the country also happen to have the highest concentration of people with European backgrounds.

It seems he always has to make his racist views known at regular intervals with these mindless threads against his most hated 'flavour of the moment' ethnic/cultural groups.
What racist views? What have I said that is racist? It's time to defend that accusation or cut it out. Yes, I think we have a poverty driven social and crime problem with our Caribbean immigrants, specifically from Jamaica, but that doesn't make me racist, and I've clearly said it has nothing to do with race. I've been told in debate that too many trade unionists in Canada came from Britain, but that doesn't make the teller a racist.

Can't we have an honest and open discussion on Canada's immigration policy and what you might have wanted to change in hindsight? If we're not interested in discussing immigration, then I'll drop it. As an immigrant myself I am interested in the workings and history of Canada's immigrant experience, and enjoy discussing it with others of all origins.

beez, maybe you can start an initiative kinda like the landover baptist church and have thems colored folks you dislike soo much turn in their immigration papers for something you just know they can't resist....

He didn't say black. He said Caribbean. It's your assumption that people from the Caribbean are black that's led you to put words in his mouth :)

Then again can't "colored" represent anyone who isn't white (yellow, brown, black, green)

I do not think this post in particular has any racist content.

But don't feel too bad; the Caribbean was built upon the backs of slaves of all colours and stripes. Though I suppose it's fashionable only to remember some of them ;)

But Africans were the only true slaves, weren't they? The Europeans, Indians, etc, were all indentured laborers.

Technically I believe it was frequently forced emigration, as it was often other Africans selling their enemies.

there's also a large chinese population. i can't remember, but were they also slaves at one point or brought in for cheap labor (much like the CPR construction)?

as for the africans selling their enemies, i've heard stories from a jamacian guy i know about how some west africans are somewhat intolerant of caribbeans because they are descendants of slaves.

Back