News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 621     0 

Windermere by The Lake (Cresford, 28s + towns, pellow + associates)

The townhouses don't look faux-vic to me, which is maybe part of the problem. They actually look quite unique/odd, but unfortunately not attractively so.

I like the looks of the tower, though it may mostly be the glass that gives it that sleek look. It will probably suffer the inevitable "random blocks" appearance once inhabited though.

The townhouses are hideous and look like an after thought - I think Building Babel summed it up real well. Even the two that are visible in the picture above, while being the same overall shape, seem to clash with each other in colouring and material.

I like the looks of the tower, though it may mostly be the glass that gives it that sleek look. It will probably suffer the inevitable "random blocks" appearance once inhabited though.

The tower has been inhabited for a while now...still looks fantastic.

The reflective glass definitely helps.

Speaking of modern townhouses, I had a look at what they're proposing at the base of Network Lofts (the old Bell building on Bloor west of Islington being converted to condos). The townhouse plans are quite impressive and, surprise surprise, actually compliment the tower. I'll see if I can find them on the city's website.

The more I think of it, the more wrong the *whole* scheme seems--even the tower. Not because it's inelegant, but because it's out of context. Cityplace wannabes might work in the proximity of Cityplace, obviously, or on the Motel Strip, or in various suburban clusters (downtown NY/Scarb/Miss, et al). At the edge of Swansea, though, it's way out of scale--even accounting for the 70s highrises on Southport/Ormskirk, it's a location demanding something subtler. And as we've said earlier, cloaking it with faux townhouses to bring it "to scale" is at the very least silly, and at most downright sleazy--like, the locals were had.

A better planning model for the Queensway/LS/Ellis/Windermere corridor might have been low/midrise mix of the Massey-Harris or Liberty Village lands. Here, it's the overweening worst of both (faux-cutesy and sleek-curvy-tall) worlds...

adama: surely the get-up-and-go crowd deserve a sleek rounded tower even in the furthest-flung corners of the great Wen? If you're selling a marketable downtown "style" why not export it from downtown?

Besides, it probably won't be too many years before sleek-creep brings the downtown to them, so think of this tower in the context of our great pioneering traditions, the get-up-an-go-ers clearing the brush and setting up their homestead.

adama: surely the get-up-and-go crowd deserve a sleek rounded tower even in the furthest-flung corners of the great Wen? If you're selling a marketable downtown "style" why not export it from downtown?

Sure, and I even allowed for that; notice how I said
"or on the Motel Strip, or in various suburban clusters (downtown NY/Scarb/Miss, et al)". Where it's already being done, or could be done, or could've been done preferrably to what's there now, etc.

That is, choose your furthest-flung corners carefully, judiciously...

Windemere By The Lake

Couldn't find an existing thread for this.

Technically, this neighbourhood by Cresford Developments is still under construction.

windrender.jpg
windmap.jpg

BELOW: Map of just the townhomes west of the tower. (I did not venture into here).

windtownsmap.jpg

At first I hated this development. Now, I'm so so on it.

BELOW: What's always bothered me is the tower. I think it is the definition of bland.

DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

BELOW: I know it doesn't deserve to be photographed next to this fantastic bridge, but I couldn't resist.

DSCN0921.jpg

BELOW: Such a suburban feel... And somehow, just not "right" to sit at the base of High Park.

DSCN0923.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

BELOW: That old pet peeve: Unpainted concrete on the base of balconies.

Maybe if the concrete were in fact painted something other than grey it might give some life to this drab tower.

DSCN0925.jpg

BELOW: I do have to give them credit for the greenery. (The Queensway side is quite nicely landscaped. And everything looks healthy!)

DSCN0929.jpg

BELOW: Bonus points for this density right next to the Queensway Streetcar. I wonder what percentage actually take it downtown?

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0936.jpg

BELOW: In the end, the tower is kinda reminiscent of the CityPlace monotony.

DSCN0930.jpg

That tower is pretty jarring, surrounded with the "ye olde" townhouses and street lights. A missed opportunity to do something interesting on such a large lot at a good location.

Speaking for myself, I don't find this bland at all. Bland would be a featureless '70s or '80s slab or point tower, whereas this is much more complex in design. People may have become jaded by the recent diversification in condo designs, but the economic fact remains that if you want to build something that an average person can afford to live in, the building needs to remain reasonably close to a resource-efficient design (i.e. a box). I give this project full marks for satisfying the demands both of interesting design and of cost-effectiveness.

Bill

I, too, am not offended by the design of this one. I don't particularly like how the tower the 'ye ole towne base mesh but I can live with it so long as I don't opt to live in the area.

Given the constraints that Mongo listed (ie, I don't expect this design to break the bank or stand out - it is far from downtown and I don't expect much from this area) I think the design is redeemable. I particularly like the pointed balconies and the curves of the building. It looks as if nearly all of the residents have some view of the lakefront - an aspect that enhances the design. I also don't mind the simple roof elements. I guess in the end it doesn't do any thing to take away from the surroundings although it doesn't give that much back. I see it as a small net gain - not exactly a ringing endorsement but not a harsh criticism either.

I like the tower quite a bit.

It is triangular essentially - which is fairly unique in this city - and every corner has been completely rounded, giving the living room etc. areas in those units expansive views covering about 270 degrees, more than that if you walk out to the edge of the windows as they bump out a bit. It's a really cool design, and totally unique in Toronto.

The townhomes at the base? Vic schtick. Worse than that. Turn-back-the-clock schlock.

Back