News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 569     1 

Wilshire on the Green Condos (Norstar Group) - Real Estate -

What? I never knew about this builder installation thing! I wish that this info was given to everyone. About 2 weeks after I moved in, I got a knock on the door from 2 guys who were contracted out by Appliance Canada to do the installation of appliances. They clearly had the wrong unit since mine were already up and running but I was confused then. I was completely under the impression that Norstar and Appliance Canada washed their hands of installation. I guess maybe Norstar is feeling a bit guilty, otherwise why would they be installing for free when people have been paying AC installers?

At least I have a friend who is handy with that kind of thing. Otherwise, I would have been SOL for two weeks!

Hi Sea2sky,

You should immediately call Alexandra, the condo building manager. On the day of our occupancy, Alexandra asked us to confirm the delivery of our appliances with her so that she could schedule an installation appointment with Tony (the PDI gentleman) and have one of his crew do the appliance install. Our washer & dryer was installed on a Tuesday, after I confirmed with her the day before that it was delivered over the weekend.

Once she confirms with you that the installations will be done free of charge, you can go back to Appliance Canada to request a refund on the installation fees. We had no idea that Norstar would be doing the installation for us until we took occupancy of the unit. We were prepared to hire a plumber / handyman to do the work for us.

Norstar was very direct and up front about not being responsible for the appliance installations, as per the letter that came with the appliance coupons. My opinion is that it has become a "goodwill" gesture on their part, probably because there were so many grumblings and complaints from owners about this issue. They could have saved us all a lot of grief by having offered to do the installtions, free of charge, from the very beginning.

One last note - Norstar will only install the standard appliances, so if you bought an upgraded washer & dryer or dishwasher, then you're on your own for the installation.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi OEW,

It is super quick to get your number in the main lobby directory. Alexandra did it for me in one day.

Nels is right,but as long as there all from appliance Canada,but the backlog is almost a week for someone to come, appliance Canada delivery men said we don't get paid enough to do it...lol

Anyone have there number in the call system yet?

Hello all my fellow Wilshirites, Greeners, Greeneries, WOT-G's, What have you's, (we should really figure out what to call ourselves)

A funny little coincidence that I thought I would share with you. My best friend's husband is the supervisor at Canada Post who deals with our postal code, and subsequently our condo building. That means that I'm in the know before Alexandra and Norstar about something. Woo hoo! Anyway, I thought I would share with you.

We will not be getting mail for awhile. I know we did have one day when the mail was delivered but that was done by a relief carrier who was not authorized to do so and got in trouble for it. Here's why:

1) There is a sign at the entrance of the driveway that says Wilshire on the Green is a "work site". It is illegal to send a carrier onto a work site as that is a safety issue. I love how it's okay for us to live there though and wailk up and down that driveway everyday.

2) There is too much construction machinery moving in the driveway to safely send a carrier into the building.

3) The pathway along the side of the driveway is in disrepair. If any of you have tried to walk up it, you know that's true. There are loose stones all over the place. Again, not safe for carriers.

What it all boils down to is until our condo is no longer a "work site" with all of the potential dangers listed above, we won't be getting mail. That likely means until we close. So be prepared to pick up your mail on a regular basis from the Kennedy and Eglinton mail depot for some time.

Sorry it's not better news guys!

Hi Sea2sky,

You should immediately call Alexandra, the condo building manager. On the day of our occupancy, Alexandra asked us to confirm the delivery of our appliances with her so that she could schedule an installation appointment with Tony (the PDI gentleman) and have one of his crew do the appliance install. Our washer & dryer was installed on a Tuesday, after I confirmed with her the day before that it was delivered over the weekend.

Once she confirms with you that the installations will be done free of charge, you can go back to Appliance Canada to request a refund on the installation fees. We had no idea that Norstar would be doing the installation for us until we took occupancy of the unit. We were prepared to hire a plumber / handyman to do the work for us.

Norstar was very direct and up front about not being responsible for the appliance installations, as per the letter that came with the appliance coupons. My opinion is that it has become a "goodwill" gesture on their part, probably because there were so many grumblings and complaints from owners about this issue. They could have saved us all a lot of grief by having offered to do the installtions, free of charge, from the very beginning.

One last note - Norstar will only install the standard appliances, so if you bought an upgraded washer & dryer or dishwasher, then you're on your own for the installation.

I hope this helps.

Hi Nels_TO,

Thanks for your detailed post. Hopefully with your post, others will not have to pay for the unnecessary “installation†costs from their own pocket.

We received our appliances the past weekend and were initially told that the installation would be done on Monday. We received a call later from the Appliance Canada contractor and they told they would install our dishwasher and washer/dryer within the hour. In hindsight, I now know why they came so quickly to install. We can’t get a refund if the job has already been done!

You’re right Nels_TO, right from the start everything pointed to the unit owner having to bear the cost of the installation. It seems now Norstar has retracted from their original stance….nevertheless, I will be voicing my displeasure with Nortstar, Tarion and the New Home Builder’s association.

We did upgrade to the stainless steel dishwasher (mind you it was the same model as the white dishwasher)….our washer/dryer was the standard “white†appliance.

Thanks to the many others that have posted tips. We are currently using an indoor tv antenna and are able to get 6 or 7 HD channels (which suits our needs). Teksavvy will be coming by today to install our internet.

Thanks again for everyone’s helpful comments!

Thanks to the many others that have posted tips. We are currently using an indoor tv antenna and are able to get 6 or 7 HD channels (which suits our needs). Teksavvy will be coming by today to install our internet.

Thanks again for everyone’s helpful comments!

That sounds pretty good. I'm planning on doing the exact same setup for my TV & internet. Cheers!

Thanks, Bloom for the valuable (and interesting) info.

ARRGGHH - why are the simplest things so painfully difficult for this project??
1. There must be a better way for management to communicate issues like mail delivery to the owners/occupants
2. Once formed, the condo board should look into expanding the hours of operation for the building manager. 9-4 simply does not work for the majority of us.
3. I would have expected someone to be on-site Saturdays to coordinate the use of the elevators, since that's the most popular day for Appliance Canada deliveries, or until all the occupants have safely moved in (but wait, people shouldn't be going to work Monday - Friday, LOL)
4. When will the garbage chutes start working as planned?
5. Regarding mail pick-up, I checked the web and found the exact location details:

Canada Post Corp
2439 Eglinton Ave E, Scarborough, Ontario M1K 2P6
(416) 261-5662
Nearest Major Intersection: KENNEDY RD & Eglinton Ave E

Hmm, there was no mention about hours of operation, but from another blog I found, someone said "9:30am to 2:30pm, M-F". I hope there's a typo in there somewhere. I'll call on Monday and report back.

ARRGGHHH!!!!

Hey guys

Anyone know why elevator one can't. Be operational when the workers are gone (after5 or weekend) at one point Friday afternoon both were in service,lots of exercise that day lol,and the out door work is really coming along,anyone know if were getin a closed circuit video where ppl biz in?

What's new with you guys?

The forum is as dead here as of late !!

Hi Nels,

I think it just boils down to a huge lack of communication and planning. Unfortunately, we are the ones who get to feel the effects of it.

1. Alexandra had no idea which brings me back to my point about lack of communcation and planning. I spoke with her the day after we had our one random mail delivery and she was under the impression that the only thing Canada Post needed was a handle on the door of our mail slots. She told me that from then on, we would have mail. I tried to tell her otherwise but she was pretty confident.
2. We should really look into forming our condo board. The board will have to fill in the Tarion forms for the common areas. Plus, I agree that the property management hours of 9-4, M-F are unrealistic. I think 11-7 Tues to Thurs work better for those of us who work from 9-5. Plus, I agree that someone should be there for at least a short period on the weekends. Maybe only Saturday mornings. How many of us either work night shifts or have someone staying home all day? I certainly don't.
3. Elevator use on the weekends is completely hectic. There were workers there this past Saturday as well as people moving in so both elevators were unavailable.
4. No idea but my money's on the garbage chute working when the mail get delivered. LOL!
5. You're close Nels. Unfortunately, the depot is only open from 9-2. :( My friend told me that If you give your written consent, someone whose available duing those hours can pick up the mail on your behalf. They will have to take their ID with them though.

Thanks, Bloom for the valuable (and interesting) info.

ARRGGHH - why are the simplest things so painfully difficult for this project??
1. There must be a better way for management to communicate issues like mail delivery to the owners/occupants
2. Once formed, the condo board should look into expanding the hours of operation for the building manager. 9-4 simply does not work for the majority of us.
3. I would have expected someone to be on-site Saturdays to coordinate the use of the elevators, since that's the most popular day for Appliance Canada deliveries, or until all the occupants have safely moved in (but wait, people shouldn't be going to work Monday - Friday, LOL)
4. When will the garbage chutes start working as planned?
5. Regarding mail pick-up, I checked the web and found the exact location details:

Canada Post Corp
2439 Eglinton Ave E, Scarborough, Ontario M1K 2P6
(416) 261-5662
Nearest Major Intersection: KENNEDY RD & Eglinton Ave E

Hmm, there was no mention about hours of operation, but from another blog I found, someone said "9:30am to 2:30pm, M-F". I hope there's a typo in there somewhere. I'll call on Monday and report back.

ARRGGHHH!!!!

Finally I got my keys and moved in. I was told by Alexandra that appliance installation can only be done if you have that specified in your aggrement (yeah, same old crap) then found out that if you have mirror back splash with microwave OTR, then you get free installation, but I guess now you get free installation regardless. Too late for me cause I did all the installations myself besides the OTR lol. Anyhow, I only have issue with OTR installation as I'm trying to find drill bits to drill through mirror safely, as the solution that Tony provides would have to install something extra below the microwave to hold the microwave, which I do not like. Will have to ask Tony and see if I could supply them with the Mirror drill bits and see if they could install it for me.

As for TV, indoor HD antenna does get many channels, and I got offer from Rogers for 3 months free, without contract and can cancel any time within those 3 months. So I guess I'll stick with free service for now :D. They called me directly after I picked up my key. However their "free" service is not HD.

Does anyone have issue with elevators? Since I moved in I already experience 5 times of elevator broke down, and sometimes when you press one floor, the other one lit up, I think we have buggy elevators.

There are many cosmetic issue in my unit, the painter and the guy doing silicon sealing should be fired LOL and I have issue with laminate scratches and dent, does anyone got Norstar to fix it? how would they fix it? I hope they do not have to redone whole floor.

What? I never knew about this builder installation thing! I wish that this info was given to everyone. About 2 weeks after I moved in, I got a knock on the door from 2 guys who were contracted out by Appliance Canada to do the installation of appliances. They clearly had the wrong unit since mine were already up and running but I was confused then. I was completely under the impression that Norstar and Appliance Canada washed their hands of installation. I guess maybe Norstar is feeling a bit guilty, otherwise why would they be installing for free when people have been paying AC installers?

At least I have a friend who is handy with that kind of thing. Otherwise, I would have been SOL for two weeks!

There are many cosmetic issue in my unit, the painter and the guy doing silicon sealing should be fired LOL and I have issue with laminate scratches and dent, does anyone got Norstar to fix it? how would they fix it? I hope they do not have to redone whole floor.

What happened with your paint? I would note it all down on the Tarion 30-day form. It may take awhile for them to get to it, but they (Norstar) should get to it eventually...

I guess everyone is busy moving in and filling in their 30 day form LOL. I know someone is partying at 5th floor :p The elevator broke down twice while my movers is moving my stuff, and that cost me extra hour!

Hey guys

Anyone know why elevator one can't. Be operational when the workers are gone (after5 or weekend) at one point Friday afternoon both were in service,lots of exercise that day lol,and the out door work is really coming along,anyone know if were getin a closed circuit video where ppl biz in?

What's new with you guys?

The forum is as dead here as of late !!

2. We should really look into forming our condo board. The board will have to fill in the Tarion forms for the common areas. Plus, I agree that the property management hours of 9-4, M-F are unrealistic. I think 11-7 Tues to Thurs work better for those of us who work from 9-5. Plus, I agree that someone should be there for at least a short period on the weekends. Maybe only Saturday mornings. How many of us either work night shifts or have someone staying home all day? I certainly don't.

Alexandra will help with the board forming process. It is my understanding that the developer is the condo board for the first year the building is in operations, after which, the residents take over the board job. Again, Alexandra is suppose to assist in the technicalities with forming a board.

What happened with your paint? I would note it all down on the Tarion 30-day form. It may take awhile for them to get to it, but they (Norstar) should get to it eventually...

They missed so many spots, also some part looks like only one layer painted and others with at least 2 layers, and in bathroom, some with gloosy paint and some without (non water proof). Many places in bathroom are not sealed properly, air pockets in laminates etc etc etc lol.

BTW I was actually having fun hooking up all but one of my appliances, all works fine without a single electric shock and water leak! I'll be very happy if I could get my OTR microwave hooked up with the proper installation without breaking the mirror :p.

Back