News   Apr 25, 2024
 239     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 782     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 805     0 

Wilshire on the Green Condos (Norstar Group) - Real Estate -

Hi Mango,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! Sadly, I'm not in the least bit surprised that this is going on as my experience with Norstar has been unpleasant for awhile. They have been very underhanded and sneaky with many things.

My guess is that it may be legit for Norstar to show the unit since we don't actually own them yet. We have put down deposits to buy them but we haven't assumed a mortgage yet so the buiding and all of its units are likely considered property of Norstar. That is not to say that I agree with how they are handling things! You certainly should have been made aware of the situation (or more preferably, been asked permission to do so) . If I were in your shoes, and I may well be for all I know, I would at least make a stink with Norstar about getting a second PDI done right before your closing to make sure that things like dirty carpets and any damage done by passers-through can be noted before the property is passed on to you. Try calling Tarion too. Maybe they can shed some light on your rights in the matter. Ask them if a second PDI would be in order.

I'm really sorry that happened to you Mango. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

I am very happy for you folks who have had positive experiences during your PDI. Also, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their experences and advice. I have mine at the end of Feb. and I will let guys know how it went.

And I wonder who is going to be the next unsuspecting victim when I move in next month. Guess what? I was actually scheduled to move in a week or so after my PDI but they pushed it back a month. Now I know why, not because its not ready..its because they are using it as a model suite. Hhmmmm..sneaky! But I have faith and it will catch up to them sooner or later.

Mango, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I agree completly with you. I think, as bloomingsmurf said, they may have a legal right to do this to us, but I think it was mishandled. On the other hand, I assume that we are under contract wrt our units. I will have to check my APS. I'm sure there is a clause there that gives them the right to do it. I don't see why they did not just complete one of the unsold units and use it as a model suite. If mine is used in this manner,I would definitely want a second and more thorough PDI.

Lol...all I can say is to "watch out" after your PDI...your suite may be next to be used as a model suite. Once you do your PDI...go back during the week or in a week...you MAY be in for a nasty surprise!!!

I JUST WANTED A "HEADS UP" THAT'S ALL!..THEY WOULD NOT HAVE LOST OUT ON ANYTHING BY DOING THAT..In fact they would have just shown that (you know maybe things aren't going exactly to plan and there were a few flaws here and there) at least they had some integrity!!..I'm sure everyone can agree, someone could have nothing but if they have integrity, it will get them very far!!! ...Tony was super nice, Yana was super nice, Karen I had spoken to only on 1 occasion, Jessica on a couple, and then Michael, so everyone up until this point I had no problems with!!..this is why I don't understand why they didn't at least inform me that they were going to do this???

Hi Mango,

Norstar would have lost something if they'd informed you because they would have made you more vigilant in looking for damage which, if spotted, would have cost them more money. Norstar is all about the money Mango and not about the customer service. I still 100% agree with you that you should have been given a heads up about your unit being used as a model suite. I'm just not surprised that you weren't. What did Tarion say about it when you spoke to them?

As for the Norstar reps, I'm glad that your experiences with them have been good up until now. I, on the other hand, have had quite poor experiences with everyone except Tony and Ron during my inspection. Jana, was very kind but inexperienced and misinformed because she offered finishing details that were not actually available - i.e. capped lights in the bedroom ceilings. Jessica did not return my calls. She sent me a photocopy of my Tarion receipt which I was supposed to sign and return but the photocopy stated that there was additional information on the reverse of the original. I called and asked her to send me a photocopy of the other side so I could read everything before signing and she never did, nor did she return my calls. Michael and Fred are either hugely misinformed or just slimy salespeople. They both told me that I could get my bathroom layouts switched and upgrade to a raised breakfast bar when I met with Jana and that was entirely untrue because it was too late to do any of those things by the time I met with Jana. I just don't trust any of them Mango. As far as I'm concerned, I take any information that ANY Norstar rep gives me with a healthy dose of skepticism. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. Get EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Those are my reasons for saying that I'm not surprised that Norstar was sneaky about using your suite. I just don't put anything past them.

I will say though that I am mildly grateful to Norstar's BS because being frustrated with them is what led me to search for this forum. I have found a great deal of support and information here. I am very excited to meet all of my great neighbours! :)

Keep your chin up Mango! Norstar will be gone once all the units are sold.

Hey bloomingsmurf,
I am soo grateful and appreciative of your support. I am so sorry that you had to go through so much and would not wish this on anyone. I am DEVISTATED to say the least because I have already given my notice to vacate my current residence and fell in love with my unit when I saw it...it was not the biggest but I think they did a pretty good job in terms of asthetics. I was soo excited in anticipation of moving in and told many, many people about how wonderful it looks and can't wait to entertain. I'ts like my whole world has been shattered. I feel very disappointed and depressed at the fact that I had to walk in with a bunch of people banging the doors and walking with shoes on my nice bedroom carpet. As it is now, i keep a basket with slippers at my front door so as to not inconvenience my guests by having to walk with their socks on. Imagine my horror when I was witness to this.

On another note, I must say that the unit did look nice...and it did have capped lights in the bedroom and hallway...I guess that was in preparation for it being a model suite. I hope that they will be reasonable enough to either give me a discount or some perks but I think that is asking for a miracle, which I don't see happening. I am very happy to make your acquantence and I look forward to meeting my neighbours in the near future. I'm still in shock and it feels like a bad dream that I'm not waking up from.

Bloomingsmurf, I wish you all the best as I do with everyone on this site and I hope that somehow they are able to redeem themselves. Let me put it this way, I don't think any of the sales people are "misinformed" at all. I think they know what they are doing. I feel bad for Yana because I really like her and although she was misinformed and inexperienced, sometimes that's not such a bad thing and could work either way.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone and let's hope that something positive comes out of all of this.

Hi Mango, I believe you mentioned that your unit was furnished/staged for the showing. If the furnishings are to your taste, I would suggest that ask them to leave them behind for you for free or at very minimal cost. The most they can say is NO, but I would if they use my suite as a model. Good luck!

Mango - I am so sorry to hear about your experience! I definitely agree with you, they should have at least let you know! I def will check my place after my PDI next Tuesday, make sure it's not used as a model suite! And just a quick side question - I actually need to look for a new lawyer as mine went MIA! Do you mind passing on the name and contact info of the lawyer you are using? I googled - but sooo many lawyers come up and I'd rather go with someone that is recommended. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and I hope when we're all moved in, it'll be smooth sailing and we can enjoy our homes!

and Koff's idea is great! lol - def try that and see what they say! I will write my experience here after my PDI and I hope to take photos too! =D

Hey Mango, we were there last Saturday to see Michael. We were in the model suite, I am not sure if that is your unit in the 2nd floor. Guess what? you can't get in without removing your boots and wearing those black slippers. In fact nobody is allowed to be in there but because we had a good relationship with Michael he let us in, they even blocked the passage to the 3rd flr. Just to clear your mind the Open House is this Saturday, Jan 29. Go and see it for yourself.

By the way, is your backsplash a mirror? Because the model suite's kitchen backsplash is made of mirror.

I was seriously considering buying a unit at Wilshire when it initially came out. But I didnt find the experience at the sales office pleasent. The old man that was there, dont remember his name, didnt come across as a straight forward person and rude. I own a unit across in Summerside. I have been following this thread for a while. Sorry to hear Mango3. Hope it all works out for you. I might still go this Saturday, might get to see that model suite. Now I am happy I didnt buy a unit there, instead I went with Scenic on Eglinton. Good luck all.

Hey Mango, we were there last Saturday to see Michael. We were in the model suite, I am not sure if that is your unit in the 2nd floor. Guess what? you can't get in without removing your boots and wearing those black slippers. In fact nobody is allowed to be in there but because we had a good relationship with Michael he let us in, they even blocked the passage to the 3rd flr. Just to clear your mind the Open House is this Saturday, Jan 29. Go and see it for yourself.

Hi agp,
Do you know the time of the open house?

OMG!!!!!!! Mango.....this is horrible. i cant believe this is happening. i will ask my agent first thing tomm. i dont want anyone walking around my house.

OMG! You guys,
I don't even know how to start this. I have so many emotions running through me right now I don't know what to feel. Just when you think nothing else could possibly get worse...it has. Well folks, first of all, anyone who had already had their PDI, you had better go back and visit your suite because chances are they are using it as a model suite. When I drove by earler I thought I saw some lights on in my unit, I looked further and low and behold there was a huge plant hanging by the window and other things against my window. I went the first time and asked michael if they we're using my suite as a model suite, he said he didn't know and of course very busy..lol..I made a few calls and after telling everyone I know about this shocking discovery, returned to make sure that it WAS in fact my unit. First I saw people coming out then I saw people going in. The place was fully furnished, things on my countertop that could well have damaged it by now. All the lights were on etc.to add insult to injuryn there was a man standing, on my carpet, in the bedroom with HIS SHOES ON and 2 other people opening and banging the doors against each other. I wanted 2 cry.
I NEVER gave them permission to use it as a model suite and they didn't even give me any warning. I walked right in. If I wanted a. Used condo, I would have bought one 3 years ago, which is how
long I've been waiting for it. Imagine my horror to find people just walking, with their shoes, in and out of the place I have already purchased or put a down payment for at least. I keep thinking I'm in a dream but I went
back again just to make sure. I saw sum people walking further down the hall, so if your unit is on the second floor and you have already completed you PDI you might want to pay your unit a visit. The worst part is that when I went to see michael, he said he was too busy because they have an open house coming up soon, which means there is possibility of more people walking on my carpet with their dirty, snow laden shoes allowing water to permiate my carpet n milkdew to set in shortly. Can anyone imagine how happy I must be to know that my "so called new" condo has actually been used already. I assumed that by doing my PDI, it meant for ME to inspect my unit for MY occupancy, not for other people. So this is what pre construct is all about. I am embarassed and appauled for Norstar for stooping so low. Sumone could have at least asked me or even told me...imagine my surprise when the man that was walking, with his shoes on, in my bedroom asked me if I like the suite!!!...I am feeling very sad right now because I feel as if I have been taken advantage of. I don't know if this is normal practice for builders but this was not a nice thing to do at all. I'm sooo sad and hurt by this. This is going to be my home n I already feel violated.

Hi seasky,

Have you taken the 5 appliances deal? wat kind of washer dryer are they providing you with? wat size and wat make?

Hi bloomingsmurf,

Thanks for sharing your PDI experience with us. Very enlightening. My husband and I can't wait to walk through our unit at the end of March.

As we currently live close by to the site, we tend to drive by often to see the progress. We can see that there's a West-facing unit on the second floor that looks like it's been furnished. I wonder if that's Michael's office now. Since we're so impatient :), we would love to visit him in his new office and see the unit as we think it may be a "Donlands" floorplan, which is what we bought. Has anyone been able to get through to him?

As for the appliances, we got that settled at Appliance Canada back in December. Tony Piazza, the Appliance Canada sales rep for our building, was pretty nice. He was nice enough to give us a "discount" because we mentioned that we're a newly married couple with a tight budget :)

What we realized with this experience is that it seems like it's actually better value if you initially go with the White appliances package (the one that includes the washer/dryer), then pay extra to upgrade your fridge, stove, and dishwasher to stainless steel, and keep the washer/dryer in white. The cost to upgrade these 3 appliances is less than what you would pay if you were to go with the stainless steel package, and then buy the washer/dryer from them separately. This is providing that you want stainless steel appliances, and that you don't care if the washer/dryer is white (it's hidden anyway, so we don't care :)).

We love this forum. Please keep us posted on your experiences!

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Back