Will you be voting for or against David Miller in the 2010 election

Will you vote for David Miller in 2010?

• Yes

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The one-track 'conservative' movement that seems to believe that there are no reasons why property taxes should go up EVER won't be happy regardless of who we elect. As long as our politicians don't try to pander to them, we'll be fine.

That is an oversimplification. Most people can accept tax hikes every now and then. Especially in the aftermath of amalgamation, I think most Torontonians understood that the math wasn't done right the first time around and some things needed adjusting. In 2003, Toronto had a budget of about 7.1 billion (in 2009$). Within 6 years, the budget has risen by 1.6b, or about 23%. There are reasons why spending should go up, but less and less reasons to justify spending rising at an annualized 4% every year for six years. You don't even really have to be conservative to see that not being able to keep spending in line with inflation isn't sustainable in the long term. This was all during the good times. The federal government has gone from posting multi-billion dollar surpluses to deficits, ditto for Ontario. Even Alberta is looking at going into red. I can't wait to see what happens once Toronto starts trying to "stimulate" the economy and taxes begin to dry up.

Toronto City Council also has a bit of a habit of tilting at windmills. Just look at the effort Miller put into trying to get a handgun ban, and failing that trying to shutdown handgun clubs in the City. No matter what your opinion on the issue is, that is a federal matter. There is no way Miller was ever going to have an impact, ever. That he then turned around and tried to screw perfectly legal shooting ranges just came off as petty and vindictive. As did threatening the shut off the Sheppard Subway when he didn't get his way.

I don't Miller will even run for mayor in 2010. Has anyone seen pictures of him recently? He looks ill and has lost a ton of weight. It seems like the stress is getting to him.

Last edited:
It would take a lousy selection among the opposition for me to vote for him but anything is possible, just not likely.

I don't Miller will even run for mayor in 2010. Has anyone seen pictures of him recently? He looks ill and has lost a ton of weight. It seems like the stress is getting to him.
I thought he had stated his intention to seek re-election a few months ago. And I saw some pictures taken a couple of weeks ago, he looked fine - if anything that he could lose a few pounds.

Looks ill and has lost a ton of weight? Are you pulling our leg, or has there been a very sudden illness? Can you link to one of these photos ... I can't find anything.

I'm disappointed by Miller as well. He came into office with the best of intentions, but never really seemed to fully connect in getting his pet initiatives under way. That being said, I'm also disappointed by many members of council, too. It's hard to understand what some of those people (Ford) are doing on council. But as they were elected, it would be nice to hear from voters why there is continued support.

Aside from the issues mentioned in earlier posts. I find Miller has a troubling problem with focus. Every initiative seems to eventually fade from clear view, and every subsequent mention underlines a mediocre effort.

The so-called "Miller Tax" is something not likely to be forgotten in the next election. Introduced during an economic downturn, the land-transfer tax will fail to raise enough money as anticipated, and that will mean more severe property tax hikes in the future.

Looks ill and has lost a ton of weight? Are you pulling our leg, or has there been a very sudden illness? Can you link to one of these photos ... I can't find anything.

He *has* lost weight. But I think an article somewhere lately (the Star?) attributed it to a fitness regimen rather than illness...

I haven't decided about Miller yet. I'm disappointed in him for the same reasons others have pointed out here. I'm not willing to write him off just now, and I think 2010 may *finally* be the year that many of his initiatives start to bear fruit, and where shovels will hit the ground for parts of the waterfront and Transit City (although I'm not holding my breath over the latter). I would give very serious consideration for a more right-leaning, conservative candidate, but I honestly don't know if such a person exists, certainly not in this council. I don't see another Pitfield-type of candidate who can claim the respectable centre-right. I could be wrong, and maybe someone like Grimes out in Etobicoke may surprise everyone. But for now, by default, Miller seems to have it for as long as he wants it. I still think he may run for the Ontario NDP leadership, and Admiral Adam be tapped as his heir, but Miller may well pull a Prince Charles-type of manoeuvre and let Giambrone go the provincial route, while he remains in Toronto in order to construct a Dailey-esque legacy.

Now, as for my ward, I will vote for *anyone* who opposes Walker. The man simply has got to go for too many reasons to list here.

Miller has focus groups all the time across the city to assess his popularity etc. He will win in 2010, he may even run again after that term.

He *has* lost weight. But I think an article somewhere lately (the Star?) attributed it to a fitness regimen rather than illness...

He's not ill! He jogs every day at 6am! He looks fantastic!

I am voting for Miller if he runs again.

I may not agree with every issue, and he isn't always on the right track, but I've never met someone who loved this city more, and to have that in the man in charge I think is a wonderful thing.

Interesting, the initial votes were massively against Miller; but as Sunday evening, and now the workweek starts, the reverse has happened.

Not quite sure what to make of that!

One small problem with this poll is that it does not include other candidates. In other words, it's just measuring the extremes (those totally opposed versus those completely for).

I haven't decided about Miller yet. I'm disappointed in him for the same reasons others have pointed out here. I'm not willing to write him off just now, and I think 2010 may *finally* be the year that many of his initiatives start to bear fruit, and where shovels will hit the ground for parts of the waterfront and Transit City (although I'm not holding my breath over the latter). I would give very serious consideration for a more right-leaning, conservative candidate, but I honestly don't know if such a person exists, certainly not in this council.

I agree. I won't write off Miller either until someone else comes along who appears to be a better choice. So far, however, such a candidate has yet to clearly step forward. Compared to some of the potential council candidates, I think that Miller still appears to be a better choice. Mediocre is better than useless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back