News   Apr 15, 2024
 997     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

Why the Liberals lost and where should they go from here.

Perhaps someone here can answer this for me as I don't know where else to post this: come 2015, won't the provincial and federal election campaigns overlap substantially due to the fixed election dates at both levels (the first Thursday and third Monday of October respectively)? That's assuming this provincial election results in a majority or a stable coalition of course.

Yes, they will. I've heard talk that whichever party wins provincially will amend the law to switch the election date, push it to spring of 2016. That would be a four and a half year term, the same length as Harper's.

David Miller could probably win it if he decides to go federal.

There's a precedent for that. David Crombie went on to be a federal Progressive Conservative MP from Toronto and a minor Mulroney cabinet minister. He did absolutely nothing for Toronto in either capacity.

Yes, they will. I've heard talk that whichever party wins provincially will amend the law to switch the election date, push it to spring of 2016. That would be a four and a half year term, the same length as Harper's.
Wouldn't help the ruling party much if their poll numbers took a dive in those six months.

Perhaps instead of a fixed election date, there should be a fixed window (late September to early December?) for election dates.

Back