News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 712     0 

Why is religion above criticism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courage? I disagree.

I guess one could see it as courage, but it takes some twisting. I view it as something along the lines of either brainwashing (when group motivated), or a raw and uncontrolled emotional state. I just don't see anything really courageous about blowing up a civilian population going about their daily lives. I see someone who is blinded by hatred or bankrupted of their humanity.

words are plastic.

Courage? I disagree.

I guess one could see it as courage, but it takes some twisting. I view it as something along the lines of either brainwashing (when group motivated), or a raw and uncontrolled emotional state. I just don't see anything really courageous about blowing up a civilian population going about their daily lives. I see someone who is blinded by hatred or bankrupted of their humanity.

hydrogen, i didn't mean courage in a respectful way, like someone who has the courage to save someone's life in a dangerous situation.

courage: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

mental, that about sums it up. ;)

so you are saying that violence is a just response to a person who is criticizing someone's religion?

Yes, it's no different than insulting someone's mother. Why would you want to start slagging someone's beliefs unless you're itching for a fight?

People are free to do and say what they like, but some words and some actions have consequences, like anything else in life.

p.s, i agree that blowing yourself up is not a cowardly thing to do. it's dumb, a waste of life, but it takes courage, a courage that religious extremism can give a person.

Better to die for something, than to die for nothing. The person blowing himself up is dying for something, the people getting blown up are dying for nothing.

Yes, it's no different than insulting someone's mother. Why would you want to start slagging someone's beliefs unless you're itching for a fight?

People are free to do and say what they like, but some words and some actions have consequences, like anything else in life.

Better to die for something, than to die for nothing. The person blowing himself up is dying for something, the people getting blown up are dying for nothing.

You're, um, crazy...or a fundie...no difference really.
You're violent nature and hate disgust me.

I think it's stupid to doubt the holocaust, but I believe in freedom of speech.

Unless it's something you don't like...then you get all violent.
Hypocrite.

Last edited:

people that think like you frighten me.

You're violent nature and hate disgust me.

And non believers disgust me, but I don't go attacking infidels unprovoked.

Unless it's something you don't like...then you get all violent.
Hypocrite.

There's lots of things I don't like and would never get violent over. There's two things I will get violent over, that's my family and my beliefs. Anyone who wouldn't defend these fundamentals are life unworthy of life IMO.

If you lot want to get all pissy because your parents didn't raise you properly be mad at them, but don't hate on those who have faith simply for believing.

And non believers disgust me, but I don't go attacking infidels unprovoked.

...unless you're sitting at a keyboard, then you attack willingly and disgustingly.

There's two things I will get violent over, that's my family and my beliefs.

and then you go on to attack our families.

If you lot want to get all pissy because your parents didn't raise you properly be mad at them, but don't hate on those who have faith simply for believing.

You must be a troll, no sane person could actually believe the crap you've spewed in this thread.

fieras:

There's lots of things I don't like and would never get violent over. There's two things I will get violent over, that's my family and my beliefs. Anyone who wouldn't defend these fundamentals are life unworthy of life IMO.

Okay, are you saying that intervention by the Canadian state to enforce medical treatment on children whose family's beliefs prevents them from doing so is a violation of a) one's family and b) one's beliefs, thus should be met with violent resistance, for example? And who is to judge what constitute violation of your "beliefs"?

Sorry, I hate to tell you, you have the right to defend your beliefs, but not by violence - no Canadian have the right to the latter. If you believe otherwise, I suspect it might be best to let the authorities know now. And just as a kind reminder - unlike you, the Canadian state does have the legal right to act violently under certain circumstances.

AoD

PS: I find your use of the term "infidel" to describe others not sharing your beliefs positively insulting. Perhaps I should go around and be violent?

Last edited:
Oh come on, surely you're just baiting UT members into a needless argument.

What? And asking why it's not alright to insult religious people isn't?

Pot... kettle... orange?

Obviously not dealing with a full deck here at ut

Okay, are you saying that intervention by the Canadian state to enforce medical treatment on children whose family's beliefs prevents them from doing so is a violation of a) one's family and b) one's beliefs, thus should be met with violent resistance, for example? And who is to judge what constitute violation of your "beliefs"?

I'm not telling anyone how to act. I'm simply saying these are the only two things I personally feel acceptable to use violence. If someone harms your family, I see nothing wrong with using violence to defend them. I'm not telling you that you should defend them violently.

Last edited:
PS: I find your use of the term "infidel" to describe others not sharing your beliefs positively insulting. Perhaps I should go around and be violent?

Maybe I'd be more welcome here had I went on a tirade against the pope?

Think about it. If some random came up to you and starting shitting on your beliefs, would you smile and walk away? Respect is a two way street, and you've lost it once you cross that line.

It is indeed a two way street - but the lack of "respect", which is extremely sensitive to differing interpretations, does not translate into the right to act violently. Your belief otherwise is in fundamental contradiction with Canadian law and sensiblities, and I might add, that threats of violence can be a criminal offense. I don't need to remind you that the state is far more experienced in the use of violence than any of us?

As a further reminder, I do NOT want to hear any further talk of how violence can be justified. This is not the venue for it - and coercive measures can be brought to bear to ensure it to be the case.

AoD

Last edited:
Think about it. If some random came up to you and starting shitting on your beliefs, would you smile and walk away?

According to your bible, yes, you should simply walk away.

Your parents must be awful to have raised such a violent person.

According to your bible, yes, you should simply walk away.

Your parents must be awful to have raised such a violent person.

IIRC, the bible is not his book. he lives by another book. v3.0 of the abrahamic series.

Think about it. If some random came up to you and starting shitting on your beliefs, would you smile and walk away? Respect is a two way street, and you've lost it once you cross that line.

Listen, I don't know what religion you practice, but in my Christian faith it doesn't work that way. To be a Christian is to turn the other cheek and practice not violence (thou shalt not murder, remember?).

Respect is not always a two way street. What I know according to my beliefs, is that if someone does disrespect me or harm me, I must react with love and forgiveness. Despite what wicked things that happened, I must love my enemy and forgive their actions.

But yes in someways I see what you're getting at: the way that this entire thread was constructed was to be provoking to religious people. For example the title of the treat wasn't "Is religion above criticism?", but, "Why is religion above criticism?". (Which implies someone's own opinion as fact.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back