News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 586     1 

Why Is Immigration a Success In Canada?

Race still matters - it will always matter; identity matters - but, again, the current anti-Muslim frenzy in the U.S. and parts of Europe is very much a racist movement.

If someone said they were anti-Christian but by 'Christian' they meant primarily black evangelicals, they'd be racist.

... but by dismissing the problem as one of racism you are missing the point. The issue is xenophobia, more specifically. Migrants of all colours and races have settled in Europe or throughout the western world just fine where culturally there is little 'shock', so to speak. Muslim immigrants bring a cultural shock or clash, rightly or wrongly, and this is the issue at hand.

I don't deny that either, and I wouldn't ever want to dismiss the problem. I'm more on the side that says the anti-Islam thing is a complex sludge of a lot of prejudicial behaviour, of which racism is undoubtedly part. And jokers pointing out that TECHNICALLY Islam isn't really a race isn't really conducive to much.

I wouldn't equate Europe's issues with integrating their Muslim communities with anything that happens in North America as far as immigration goes. No we're not perfect but as a pluralistic culture from the beginning without a strong national or dominant identity (and I'd even put the U.S. in this category too) even at 10% of the population it's unlikely that we'd ever experience the same tensions. Tension for sure but nothing close to riots or 40% unemployment for the minority group or even the sense of not belonging to the adopted nation.

I don't deny that either, and I wouldn't ever want to dismiss the problem. I'm more on the side that says the anti-Islam thing is a complex sludge of a lot of prejudicial behaviour, of which racism is undoubtedly part. And jokers pointing out that TECHNICALLY Islam isn't really a race isn't really conducive to much.

The difference being that while racism is never justifiable cultural clashes can be, rightly or wrongly, and it isn't always fair to dismiss these things as merely issues of veiled prejudice. This only serves to fuel the frustration that people feel, and to cause further resentment.

It's not a success. Talk to all the taxi driver's with the PhD's and Physic's degrees and ask them if they feel accomplished.

sometimes racism hides behind / pretends to be religious criticism and sometimes criticism of religion is irrationally accused of being racist.

How is that a racist comment? Islam isn't a race.
I'm working under the assumption that the comment was generally directed at those who dress in Muslim garb, who do, mostly, tend to be a different race. But your right, it's a difficult turn.

Not sure what the right term for religious-based bigotry is ... suggestions?

I'm working under the assumption that the comment was generally directed at those who dress in Muslim garb, who do, mostly, tend to be a different race. But your right, it's a difficult turn.

Not sure what the right term for religious-based bigotry is ... suggestions?

I already suggested religionist. Although it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. But it follows the pattern set by sexist, racist, ageist, ... religionist.

Race says nothing about a persons lifestyle. Religion is an adopted lifestyle/belief.
I won't listen to someone who says they don't like someones race, but if they say they don't agree with a groups lifestyle/beliefs, that doesn't make them racist.

Mind you, what in this thread has to do with Toronto?

^Everything. Most immigrants settle in the gta. I don't see too many moving to Hanover Ontario or Salmon Arm BC.

Let's focus on Hanover, Ontario, for a minute. Population is around 10,000, mostly white xtians. What would happen if 2,000 muslims moved there? That would be about the same proportional amount that will end up in the the gta. Then they impose Sharia law, and other silly things unrelated to the folks whose families lived in Hanover for 150+ years.

Last edited:
Anti-Semitism could possibly be racist if you were to define Jews as a race.
Doesn't matter, since not all Semites are Jews. Semites refers simply to those from the Middle East, including Arabs and Jews.

The reason, I think, that people throw out the "that's racist" accusation whenever anyone is critical of an identifiable group is that they don't know anything to say. If you make a blanket statement about Muslims and terrorism, it's not racist, but is in fact stereotyping, discriminatory. But those sound weak as accusations. This crowd needs a new catch phase, until then everything is racism. That's why the government created the blanket "hate speach" along with a bureaucracy and court system to enforce government policy re. hate.

I see most folks hanging out in their own ethnic/cultural groups, esp at UW and of course at work.
Not me. I immigrated to Canada from the UK in the mid-1970s, and rarely seek out other Brits to chat with. All my friends, family, spouse, etc are immigrants or descendants thereof from all over the world.

It's easy for an immigrant to shy away from Canadian culture in TO because they can find a gated community suited to their background...

Back