News   Jun 27, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 685     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 

Why do police have to stand at construction sites?

I really can't wait to talk to my cop friend who was the biggest Ford supporter and called me to taunt me when Ford won... My friend is great and all but I never agreed with him on the issue of paid duty at construction sites. It's great for him, but bad for the city, and quite frankly absolutely unnecessary.

I'm in favour of a traffic cop being present when there are potential traffic problems but that's a far cry from having a cop playing Angry Birds on his iPhone while a construction crew digs a hole for several hours.

I'm happy to see that this is one of the results of people resisting the KPMG proposal- most of the proper cuts and reviews of city services are now going to be made instead of the wholesale cutting across the board as proposed earlier.

Then again, I have a nagging feeling that this is really just to dull controversy before the provincial election- we'll see if the rhetoric heats up again afterwards.

Last edited:
I thought it had to do with some special law that was created favouring cops, i.e., not just any Tom, Dick or Harry can guard manhole covers, construction whatnot, it has to be police only. I think it was some kind of police union strong arm tactic that lobbied for this. And you guessed it ... they make, I think, $70/hour.
That law should be rescinded. Anyone can guard manhole covers, or direct traffic, and at a fraction of the cost for a cop to do it.
No wonder there are so many pulling in 100k+/year.

I thought it had to do with some special law that was created favouring cops, i.e., not just any Tom, Dick or Harry can guard manhole covers, construction whatnot, it has to be police only. I think it was some kind of police union strong arm tactic that lobbied for this. And you guessed it ... they make, I think, $70/hour.
That law should be rescinded. Anyone can guard manhole covers, or direct traffic, and at a fraction of the cost for a cop to do it.
No wonder there are so many pulling in 100k+/year.
Just in case you were not aware... I started this thread in 2009, and then revived it today because City Council voted that law down.

Council has voted to cancel the requirement of police at construction sites.
The article I had read must have jumped the gun, because apparently the official vote was today.

However, perhaps it was considered a done deal already last week, because today's vote was 44:1 to get rid of paid-duty policing.

I wonder who was the lone vote in support of paid-duty policing. Doug Ford?

I really can't wait to talk to my cop friend who was the biggest Ford supporter and called me to taunt me when Ford won... My friend is great and all but I never agreed with him on the issue of paid duty at construction sites. It's great for him, but bad for the city, and quite frankly absolutely unnecessary.

Just let him know that it was Ford who bitched to the CRA about city employees getting free parking, which resulted in police, and other city workers, having to pay a tax for parking. From what I hear in the media they are really ticked about that one.

Just let him know that it was Ford who bitched to the CRA about city employees getting free parking, which resulted in police, and other city workers, having to pay a tax for parking. From what I hear in the media they are really ticked about that one.
If the CRA deems it tax-worthy, perhaps Rob Ford was right to bitch about it.

And free golf for the councillors? WTF?

I've heard of some city employees who never drove to work, but had rights to use the parking lot having to pay back taxes on parking spots due to this.

Anyway, I am very pleased to see the end of the paid duty program. Replace all the cops with cones.

I've heard of some city employees who never drove to work, but had rights to use the parking lot having to pay back taxes on parking spots due to this.

Anyway, I am very pleased to see the end of the paid duty program. Replace all the cops with cones.

It's even more ridiculous than that. Ford ratted out city employees to the CRA. City employees, even those who did not use the parking, had their taxes reassessed. Then city council (including Rob Ford) voted in favour of the city picking up the tab. This cost the city $millions.

Last edited:
If Police were allowed to sit and sip tea/coffee and munch on a yummy donut while licking their fingers, that would enrage the public even more.

At least when they stand, they look like they are part of the team with the construction workers who are working, but talking mindless chatter.

I've seen a paid-duty officer sipping coffee and eating a donut before. However, that didn't bother me any more than the actual inanity of the job itself.

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id47242

This article for sewer and water construction contractors suggests that some companies should and would continue to use paid duty police in higher risk areas, such as traffic intersections.

However, since the vote I haven't seen a single paid duty policeman on my usual routes to work. Is this just coincidence? Cuz I had thought (as the article suggests) that the change in paid duty policing requirements would take some time to implement.

Last edited:
There was some major Utility excavation going on last week on Finch Ave E at Bayview, lots of paid duty cops on the scene but not doing anything of course.

Back