News   Aug 13, 2024
 274     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 510     0 

Whole Foods

I was at the first public information night for this development, held in the old car showroom (I happened to be visiting a friend east of Bayview and went along out of interest). I would have thought that the community would have been relieved that the developer was not proposing a 7, 10 or 15-storey condo building, but instead a modest retail building with some amenities (Whole Foods, etc.) for the area. Nope. Most of the people of the room seemed opposed to having retail on the site, even though the planner for the developer repeated several times that retail was already a permitted use on the site. A surprising number of people expressed the view that, if retail other than a car dealership were to happen on the site, it should be in the form of a one-storey plaza with parking in front. Councillor Parker was egging them on. It was a shocking evening.

While I agree with taal, I'm not surprised that they stuck with a two-storey project. If they were horrified with a two-storey retail building on a retail site, I can only imagine how the community would have reacted to a condo.

Last edited:
I was at the first public information night for this development, held in the old car showroom (I happened to be visiting a friend east of Bayview and went along out of interest). I would have thought that the community would have been relieved that the developer was not proposing a 7, 10 or 15-storey condo building, but instead a modest retail building with some amenities (Whole Foods, etc.) for the area. Nope. Most of the people of the room seemed opposed to having retail on the site, even though the planner for the developer repeated several times that retail was already a permitted use on the site. A surprising number of people expressed the view that, if retail other than a car dealership were to happen on the site, it should be in the form of a one-storey plaza with parking in front. Councillor Parker was egging them on. It was a shocking evening.

While I agree with taal, I'm not surprised that they stuck with a two-storey project. If they were horrified with a two-storey retail building on a retail site, I can only imagine how the community would have reacted to a condo.

You have a good point re: the community !

IMG_20151101_115421.jpg

From Today.

Attachments

• IMG_20151101_115421.jpg
    IMG_20151101_115421.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 889
Why is Shoppers everywhere? Where I live you have a Shoppers inside Yorkdale. One at Lawrence and Dufferin, Lawrence and Bathurst, Lawrence and Avenue. Do we need that many Shoppers?

Do we really need a Shoppers on every block? I mean it's convenient but come on.

Shoppers is like Starbucks. One in every corner.

Does anyone think Whole Foods will become quite popular in the city? I only started going to their store in Toronto after living in the US, as in Canada before I encountered the chain I always shopped at Canadian grocery stores. But I think that them having stores dedicated fully to organic and natural products fills a niche that wasn't present before in our city (where those kinds of foods were present but only in a section of other stores rather than the whole store).

Do you think Whole Foods competes with places like Loblaws etc. or attracts different people?

Does anyone think Whole Foods will become quite popular in the city? I only started going to their store in Toronto after living in the US, as in Canada before I encountered the chain I always shopped at Canadian grocery stores. But I think that them having stores dedicated fully to organic and natural products fills a niche that wasn't present before in our city (where those kinds of foods were present but only in a section of other stores rather than the whole store).

Do you think Whole Foods competes with places like Loblaws etc. or attracts different people?

The one near me (Yorkville) is always busy and I understand other locations are as well, so why not?

Back