News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 828     0 

Who should be mayor of Toronto in 2014?

Who will you vote for mayor of Toronto in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you get SmartTrack, the case for having a BD extension is considerably diminished. Not sure if there is a planning case for both

Serving STC with a branch of SmartTrack would be cheaper than the subway and would offer quicker travel times to downtown. Frequency issues would have to be resolved, through.

If you would like to vote for Michael Crack, press 1
If you would like to vote for Dewitt Lee, press 2
If you would like to vote for Leo Gambin, press 3
If you would like to vote for Rene Vlau, press 4
If you would like to vote for Jim Ruel, press 5
If you would like to vote for Ashok Sajnani, press 6

waiting for Ford.....oh fuck it I hang up
Even with 3 choices there are times I get to the end of the list and I think ... wait, which number was that? (I keep waiting for Goldkind or other to come up, and when it doesn't, I have to remember what number to press).

Can I get an election sign for each of the mayoral candidate on my front lawn? All sixty-nine of them?
That would require a large lawn and fringe candidates having enough money to afford proper sign production (that does not look amateurish, as in no signs made out of cut cardboard boxes or poster board or foam presentation board).

I'm curious who the two are who voted for Doug. Seriously, at this point, by supporting either Ford, you're advertising your own idiocy. This isn't meant as an insult — it's simply true. If you've convinced yourself that Rob or Doug are the best thing we've got for Mayor, you're either extremely naïve for believing what he's been pitching (blatant lies) or a complete idiot for thinking that either one would be fit to be Mayor of Toronto.

This isn't an ideological choice anymore. It's about intelligence. Some of my friends and family have revealed themselves to be complete idiots since Ford took office.

Last edited:
I'm curious who the two are who voted for Doug. Seriously, at this point, by supporting either Ford, you're advertising your own idiocy. This isn't meant as an insult — it's simply true. If you've convinced yourself that Rob or Doug are the best thing we've got for Mayor, you're either extremely naïve for believing what he's been pitching (blatant lies) or a complete idiot for thinking that either one would be fit to be Mayor of Toronto.

This isn't an ideological choice anymore. It's about intelligence. Some of my friends and family have revealed themselves to be complete idiots since Ford took office.

For some Ford supporters, it's not about voting for Rob/Doug Ford, it's about voting against the people they don't like in the city. There's a lot of resentment amongst Ford supporters towards union members, special interest groups and people who live downtown. There's this bizarre getting even wish fulfillment they get from voting Ford.

On some pro-Ford Facebook pages recently I've seen people write, "I like [Ford mandate] because it upsets the right people," and "I live in Kitchener and want a Ford Mayor lawn sign to piss off my neighbours."

Basically, we're being trolled.

I dare say that the people you mention, sarnya, are actually bigger fools than those who actually support the Fords.

I almost wish I was still in university studying psychology, I would most certainly do some serious research into the link between psychological trauma, mental illness, and FN.

For some Ford supporters, it's not about voting for Rob/Doug Ford, it's about voting against the people they don't like in the city. There's a lot of resentment amongst Ford supporters towards union members, special interest groups and people who live downtown. There's this bizarre getting even wish fulfillment they get from voting Ford.

On some pro-Ford Facebook pages recently I've seen people write, "I like [Ford mandate] because it upsets the right people," and "I live in Kitchener and want a Ford Mayor lawn sign to piss off my neighbours."

Basically, we're being trolled.

doug_ford_nightmare_moudakis.jpg

Attachments

• doug_ford_nightmare_moudakis.jpg
    doug_ford_nightmare_moudakis.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 501
I can give a couple of examples of Ford Nation:

1. About a year ago a bunch of us in the lunch room were joking about some of our experiences with ignorant Americans. The conversation moved towards Rob Ford and someone outed himself as a Ford supporter, without any self awareness of the irony which just took place. His rational was that all politicians are crooks, and were trying to get rid of Ford so that they could give themselves raises and entitlements. Thus Ford was the most honest politician of the bunch. After all, he gives all his money to charity (apparently).

2. During the last provincial election, I asked a customer if he voted yet. He said he didn't vote, because he had zero interest in politics and figured it should be decided by those who follow and understand such matters. I actually agree with this philosophy, and as I was citing Ford's win as an example, he says that he likes Ford and if he lived in Toronto he would vote for him. Also unaware of the irony which just took place.

3. A teenager who works in another department said Rob Ford came to her school. I don't know if she moved from Etobicoke to Richmond Hill, or if Ford found some time to come and visit a local high school. Regardless, to all of his follies her response has been, "Leave Rob Ford alone! Everybody makes mistakes!" I also know some people who have grown up in Etobicoke and have witnessed his community involvement, thus support him.

Say what you will about these people, but they represent what other politicians can learn from him. He is the McDonald's of politics: while terrible, he is accessible apeals to people's base needs without being a burger elitist.

@ Electrify, I only know one Ford nation person in my personal life, and your examples (especially first two) is right on the money. They are not into politics at all but "likes Ford". Also claims everybody is corrupt so what's the point (but then not sure why vote for Ford and not just not vote at all?) also starts saying "everybody has faults" and even go as far as make stuff up on past and present politicians (i don't mean exaggerating but just making up stories which I have no idea where they got it from)

But it seriously is cult like thinking, even though I am not conservative, I could understand how their agenda can appeal to some or trick people into thinking it's a good government option, even though I totally don't buy it or think it works out. But there is absolute zero substance or logic when dealing with Ford nation.

What I find a lot of Ford Nation members are just losers in life, bitter at everything, and easy to give fault to people more successful or smarter than them. They like Ford because he's dumb on to their level. He not necessary make things better for them, it just makes them feel better. So they are bitter and against anybody who is smarter or better educated than them. Unfortunately they don't hold the same low standard when they are feeling sick and go to a Ford-style level of doctor, when they get sick they want the smart, scientific, intelligent, qualified person to save them so they can continue to trash intellects them once they feel better.

Back