News   Jul 26, 2024
 639     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Who should be mayor of Toronto in 2014?

Who will you vote for mayor of Toronto in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the most recent Forum poll, Ford was doing *better* in North York than in Toronto.

Of course, "it's a Forum poll".

What are your thoughts on Pasternack?

I don't know much about him. I think he's alright at best. Better than his challenger Igor Toutchinski, who I hear is more right wing. But what I do know about Pasternack is that his favourite pet project is to extend the Sheppard line to Downsview. Annoyingly, he calls it the "North York relief line" to make it sound more important, and claims that it will help relieve the Yonge subway. He supports the downtown relief line conditionally, as long as his pet project is part of the transit plan. His voting record on the transit debates were weird: votes for LRT as long as it's not an extension of an existing subway line (i.e Finch and Eglinton LRT = ok, Sheppard LRT = not ok).

I think the subway extension to Downsview is not a bad investment over the long term, however it shouldn't be a high priority right now. Regardless, it will never get high ridership anyway, but at least it's better than extending it east to Scarborough. Of course an LRT would be ideal for the density, ridership, and build form of Sheppard Ave W, but it's not gonna happen for political reasons.

I think the subway extension to Downsview is not a bad investment over the long term, however it shouldn't be a high priority right now. Regardless, it will never get high ridership anyway, but at least it's better than extending it east to Scarborough. Of course an LRT would be ideal for the density, ridership, and build form of Sheppard Ave W, but it's not gonna happen for political reasons.

This is why I think conversion of the Sheppard subway is best. I get that there are conversion costs. But it allows for service past Downsview on the surface. And the payback comes from there.

I'm sticking with Olivia and really hope she comes in second. I like the shift in strategy over the past month or so. As far as I'm concerned, with Tory and Ford it's really choosing your poison. Tory would be able to get more of his right-wing agenda through, but Ford would be more of the same antics and not as effective.

If Olivia wasn't on the ballot, I'd vote for Ari Goldkind.

How many people are supporting Tory "strategically"?

It would be interesting to have another poll done based on this question.

This is why I think conversion of the Sheppard subway is best. I get that there are conversion costs. But it allows for service past Downsview on the surface. And the payback comes from there.

Totally agree.

If the Miller-Giambrone regime wanted no part of conversion, I doubt anyone else ever will.

If the Miller-Giambrone regime wanted no part of conversion, I doubt anyone else ever will.

It would involve restructuring the existing tunnels *and* stations at considerable expense. A brief transfer is hardly the inconvenience it's made out to be, provided it's more "St George" than "Spadina".

With 1 week to go, I thought it time to make a decision.

Ford has the best transit plan, and transit is the main issue. However, Fords phase 2 is completely ridiculous, but on the other hand, nothing will be done on phase 2 during the next 4 years. The main thing is that Fords transit plan is not perfect and we know that the Province and Councillors will not work with Ford. In fact, they would rather waste time and money rather than find a compromise. So we are left with Tory, who is number one on almost every other issue, and hope that he can compromise to improve on both his and the provinces transit plan.

Ford has the best transit plan? Interesting theory.

You should see the transit plan I could come up with if, like Ford, I didn't have to account for its cost.

With 1 week to go, I thought it time to make a decision.

Ford has the best transit plan, and transit is the main issue. However, Fords phase 2 is completely ridiculous, but on the other hand, nothing will be done on phase 2 during the next 4 years. The main thing is that Fords transit plan is not perfect and we know that the Province and Councillors will not work with Ford. In fact, they would rather waste time and money rather than find a compromise. So we are left with Tory, who is number one on almost every other issue, and hope that he can compromise to improve on both his and the provinces transit plan.

I'm not sure it is the best transit plan based on ridership issues and the cost to maintain it.

Back