News   Mar 28, 2024
 984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

Which condo developers are the best in the city?

5k got me upgraded cabinets in kitchen and bathroom hardwood
In the bedroom undermounted sink, some other minor things .. Free upgrades are great as long as u use them properly .. Pot lights will be done by my electrician

Is your ceiling concrete? If so, pot-lights aftermarket may be quite difficult.

5k got me upgraded cabinets in kitchen and bathroom hardwood
In the bedroom undermounted sink, some other minor things .. Free upgrades are great as long as u use them properly .. Pot lights will be done by my electrician

I don't quite understand this. Kitchen cabinets and sink were upgraded and bedroom got upgraded with hardwood?

Usually developers charge a lot for upgrades. I think from X condo or London on the esplanade. They charged 2k for undermount sink. Not sure about cabinet upgrades but probably not cheap. I think putting hardwood in bedrooms were also a few thousand as well.

BTW, I don't think you can run wires through concrete for potlights after you move in? It might be challenging or maybe impossible.

i've found the quality of features and finishes in Lanterra's projects (ie. all of waterpark city and murano) quite poor.

i've been in waterpark city and seen first hand.
for murano, look at some of the pics posted in its' thread and you'll read/see what i'm talking about.

Meh, 22 Wellesley, one bedford, toy factory lofts, maple leaf gardens, burano all have/will have very nice finishes. Murano is a nice building, the standard suite features just aren't that great (imagine nicely renovated suite there). Waterpark city is a little older but yes, I do agree, I don't like the finishes there.

Lanterra seems to be a pretty solid builder.

I still think Tridel is a top builder. Design may be boring but quality is there. I also like Great Gulf and Camrost as well.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand this. Kitchen cabinets and sink were upgraded and bedroom got upgraded with hardwood?

Usually developers charge a lot for upgrades. I think from X condo or London on the esplanade. They charged 2k for undermount sink. Not sure about cabinet upgrades but probably not cheap. I think putting hardwood in bedrooms were also a few thousand as well.

BTW, I don't think you can run wires through concrete for potlights after you move in? It might be challenging or maybe impossible.

This must be a joke.

Well, if you get a contractor to do it for you, it costs around $600. Builders charge around 3 times the price. So it is around 2k. I think someone mentioned about the under mount upgrade somewhere on the forum.

My wife and I just did the upgrades for our Menkes condo and I couldn't believe how 'reasonable' the pricing was. Undermount sink was $575, first upgrade hardwood was $750 (for over 900 square feet worth of flooring), etc. The only thing we wanted to do but didn't due to price was smooth ceilings, which for our suite was $3,400.

My wife and I just did the upgrades for our Menkes condo and I couldn't believe how 'reasonable' the pricing was. Undermount sink was $575, first upgrade hardwood was $750 (for over 900 square feet worth of flooring), etc. The only thing we wanted to do but didn't due to price was smooth ceilings, which for our suite was $3,400.

wow, those are reasonable prices for upgrades.
$3,400 for smooth ceilings for 900 sf (less bath + kitchen which i assume are already smooth) sounds like a good price.

Yeah, I was completely shocked that the pricing was reasonable. We ended up spending $10K (had $9K in 'free' upgrades) and got nearly everything we wanted: mosaic glass tile backsplash, upgraded granite with upgraded edge in kitchen, undermount sink, fridge with water dispenser, upgraded marble in the bathrooms, etc.

I just couldn't justify the smooth ceilings though.

Yeah, I was completely shocked that the pricing was reasonable. We ended up spending $10K (had $9K in 'free' upgrades) and got nearly everything we wanted: mosaic glass tile backsplash, upgraded granite with upgraded edge in kitchen, undermount sink, fridge with water dispenser, upgraded marble in the bathrooms, etc.

I just couldn't justify the smooth ceilings though.
Hi Professor, could you povide more information on the prices for your unit. Also, I have sent you a PM. Thanks

there was a JD power report on the top builders. Just pop it into google and you should be able to find it.

Last year's (2009) report is here. (It's a PDF file)

Top 5 builders are:

1. Brookfield
2. Mattamy
3. Tribute
4. Monarch
5. Great Gulf

This year's report is here.

Top 5 builders are:

1. Tribute
2. Mattamy
3. Monarch
4. Great Gulf
5. Arista

After talking with so many fed-up Casa owners I'm sure Cresford will come dead last in the next survey. Terrible, terrible service and treatment of all of the owners. Cresford "customer care" workers do not know the first thing about customer service and they clearly know it and don't care. Nothing but lies and being given the run-around.

Last edited:
Isn't that study only in regard to home builders? There are many high profile condo developers msising from the list entirely such as Tridel, Cityzen, Menkes, etc.

As such, I don't think Cresford would be listed in any year of this particular study.

Isn't that study only in regard to home builders? There are many high profile condo developers msising from the list entirely such as Tridel, Cityzen, Menkes, etc.

As such, I don't think Cresford would be listed in any year of this particular study.

They also do condos, check here. But, note that this only measures CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, and not the quality of the builder.

i've found the quality of features and finishes in Lanterra's projects (ie. all of waterpark city and murano) quite poor.

i've been in waterpark city and seen first hand.
for murano, look at some of the pics posted in its' thread and you'll read/see what i'm talking about.

Totally agree. As a renter in a brand new Murano unit (since late 2009), I can tell you now that I am considering buying a unit downtown, my experience with a brand new building makes me afraid of what's out there. I mean, who in their right mind puts only 3 elevators for a 40+ story building? Or how can a water pipe burst on the second floor twice in just a few months? Or how can the garbage chute never work? All very good questions. I wouldn't put Lanterra on there due to this building. I hope the other ones aren't like this. (PS. these are only some of the issues with the building that was condo-wide; plenty others I have with the unit itself).

Back