News   Apr 26, 2024
 102     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 147     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 573     0 

Where should my 65+ y.o. parents downsize to?

callired

Member Bio
Reaction score
My parents are in their late 60's. They currently live in a 1300 sq foot two story house on the edge of Rosedale. They're planning to move in about 1 or so years. Although they're health is good now, they want to be in a place that has covered parking, no stairs, is bright, and is walking distance to coffee shops, bookstores, ttc, grocery stores, etc (they like places like Yorkville, Bayview Village, Indigo/Chapters). I want them to not have to drive.

I'm helping them do research but I need help/suggestions regarding neighborhoods and also specific condo suggestions. They're budget for a 1 bed+den or 2 bedroom is probably low 500's max. Ideally, they'd be near a subway station that's wheelchair accessible.

I've looked at the following areas:

Yorkville - They like going to Indigo, and the dim sum place in Renaissance Plaza. I like that there's a valuemart in the manulife and that the area has a large indoor/underground mall area. There seem to be quite a few condo projects planned for the area--I'm concerned that the area will become too congested (if it isnt already). They like 18 Yorkville. Not sure if there are many empty nesters in the building. There also seems to be so much going up around the building - are any exposures safe?

Yonge and St. Clair - They like the area, although my dad thought there might not be enough to do there.

Yonge and Eglinton - They went to Minto Midtown but dont like that the first block south of Yonge- they think its dark and depressing. Anyone have any suggestions on buildings in the Y/E area? What is 7 Broadway like? I also looked at 88 on Broadway online. I haven't been in person, but it looks like the building is in the midst of rental buildings - I dont think they'd like that ambience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Well, with no surprise, I'm going to recommend Park Lake :) The project will be completed in 1 to 1 1/2 years. Would your parents enjoy living steps from the lake and high park? It would be very nice for their well being, and there's plenty of seniors in the area as well. Transportation is directly behind the building on Queensway, which turns eventually to Queen street. They can choose taking a street car to downtown or bus to lead them to the Runnymede subway station. There's also Bloor west village nearby with an abundant of shops to satisfy anyone! Walking distance to stores is about 15 minutes. 10 minute walk to the International Cheese boutique. There you can find unique cheeses, as well as groceries, dairy, bakery, fruits and vegetables.

Check out the website below, as there's lakeview suites that can accomodate them! Good luck.

http://www.pembertongroup.com/?core=all_communities&area=toronto&location=park_lake&info=home

Park Lake is a horrible choice for older people who won't be driving.

Well, if you're going to make a statement like that, you should elaborate a little more. Clearly, you're referring to the area that would be a horrible choice, correct? Are you suggesting that every senior who lives in the area drives and owns a vehicle? Let's be realistic here. There's even a condo being built in the area solely for seniors, although I don't know the name of it. Is this the best area that they can choose? No, but obviously its very nice for especially seniors to be surrounded by a lot of nature.

How about Residences of College Park? They have an indoor connection to College Park shopping with a Metro Food Store and subway, cinemas are nearby, there's a park out back and a 10-15 minute walk to either the Manulife Centre or Eaton Centre with hundreds of shops & services (including Indigo). The Bay Street bus is practically at the front door which can take them directly to the Island Ferry dock and Harbourfront. Lots for them to do and see in all seasons comfortably.
Do they have to buy? The Manulife Apartments range from small to downright huge but can be pricey for larger units. The Plaza II apartments are more reasonable, although not as prestigious (2 bed/2bath 1000 sq ft. = $1700/month) and both complexes offer plenty of underground shopping without going outside in inclement weather and of course indoor subway access.

Well, if you're going to make a statement like that, you should elaborate a little more. Clearly, you're referring to the area that would be a horrible choice, correct? Are you suggesting that every senior who lives in the area drives and owns a vehicle? Let's be realistic here. There's even a condo being built in the area solely for seniors, although I don't know the name of it. Is this the best area that they can choose? No, but obviously its very nice for especially seniors to be surrounded by a lot of nature.

Perhaps you should read his post again. It should be obvious what he is asking. He pretty much wants an urban area with places like bookstores, coffee shops, grocery stores, restaurants and the like, none of which are within walking distance at Park Lake.

dt toronto geek's suggestion is a lot better.

Do they have to purchase a new place? If they were my parents, I would probably recommend they rent in the Manulife Centre. They don't have to go outside in inclement weather, they are connected to the subway and there are plenty of older people in the building. It's a pretty worry free environment right in the heart of the city.

If you decide on a condo, make sure that it is on the lower floors. This is in case of elevator problems or fire, they could (if able) to use the stairs. Even if the elevators are working, and they are able, they could still use the stairs as exercise. While the upper floors do offer the better view and are quieter, they are usually more expensive.
BTW. Fire ladders can reach up to the seventh floor, depending on the height of the floors of course. That is why, when I go to hotels, I stay no higher than 7.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should read his post again. It should be obvious what he is asking. He pretty much wants an urban area with places like bookstores, coffee shops, grocery stores, restaurants and the like, none of which are within walking distance at Park Lake.

dt toronto geek's suggestion is a lot better.

Perhaps you should break the walls of your tunnel and realize there's other
perspectives and options in life for people to consider, aside from what they request.
"Any help would be greatly appreciated"
My response was my help to him. Yes, DT's idea is better. Thank you.

Have you considered the St. Lawrence Market hood? Maybe the new London on the Esplanade or similar? The area is extremely walkable. Nicholas Hoare bookstore is within walking distance, as is the SLM itself and a large Metro grocery store. Coffee shops and restaurants abound. Berczy Park is a pleasant sitting/people watching oasis. Union Station is nearby and, being one of the key commuting stations, I believe it is fairly accessible (and is undergoing renovations now that should, if anything, improve that). The Eaton Centre is not far.

The only thing is that the neighbourhood is not quite as gentrified as Rosedale or Yorkville (then again, where is?) and if you and other relatives need to visit by car, its probably not as accessible from the suburbs or uptown.

I'm not sure how expensive the suites are but several people I know helped their parents do the same thing and they all chose Bellagio on Bloor. It's about 7 years old and on the North side of Bloor and overlooks Mount Pleasant Road so there are wonderful north and east views into the ravine with lots of trees, etc. It's a nice compromise because you're still only 1 block from Yonge/Bloor and 3 from Yorkville - so there's not as much hustle and bustle, but still enough to make you feel alive and able to dive in when you want. It's also 1/2 block from a subway station. It's an upscale building as well and because of an older clientele they might have a more active social life.

Otherwise the other suggestions, with the exception of Park Lake sound good - I love nature - spent my summers on a farm growing up - but why anyone (let alone people with possible mobility issues) would live there is beyond me.

My parents are in their late 60's. They currently live in a 1300 sq foot two story house on the edge of Rosedale. They're planning to move in about 1 or so years. Although they're health is good now, they want to be in a place that has covered parking, no stairs, is bright, and is walking distance to coffee shops, bookstores, ttc, grocery stores, etc (they like places like Yorkville, Bayview Village, Indigo/Chapters). I want them to not have to drive.

I'm helping them do research but I need help/suggestions regarding neighborhoods and also specific condo suggestions. They're budget for a 1 bed+den or 2 bedroom is probably low 500's max. Ideally, they'd be near a subway station that's wheelchair accessible.

I've looked at the following areas:

Yorkville - They like going to Indigo, and the dim sum place in Renaissance Plaza. I like that there's a valuemart in the manulife and that the area has a large indoor/underground mall area. There seem to be quite a few condo projects planned for the area--I'm concerned that the area will become too congested (if it isnt already). They like 18 Yorkville. Not sure if there are many empty nesters in the building. There also seems to be so much going up around the building - are any exposures safe?

Yonge and St. Clair - They like the area, although my dad thought there might not be enough to do there.

Yonge and Eglinton - They went to Minto Midtown but dont like that the first block south of Yonge- they think its dark and depressing. Anyone have any suggestions on buildings in the Y/E area? What is 7 Broadway like? I also looked at 88 on Broadway online. I haven't been in person, but it looks like the building is in the midst of rental buildings - I dont think they'd like that ambience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Funny I had the same opinion of the first few blocks south of Yonge and Eglinton for a while as well. Once you walk it a few times though you'll realize it's pretty interesting actually, there are some nice restaurants and shops all the way down to a little bit north of St. Clair, after which it's quite a for a bit.

Yonge and Eglinton is full of rental buildings, your not going to avoid that. Moreover, "but it looks like the building is in the midst of rental buildings"

You need to realize most areas you've mentioned are just like that, if there aren't explicit rental buildings the condo units are being rented out by the owners.

After reading the first half of your post my first reaction was to say Yonge and Eglinton. But there are a lot more variables

There are lots of condos in the St Lawrence Market area and it has many coffee shops etc etc. Another very useful thing is that in addition to the Market itself there are lots of supermarkets - Metro at Front/Church, Sobeys at Front/Sherbourne and Loblaws on Queens Quay.

Lots of older folk (including me!) live in the area and it's great (as Puke Green says) for visitors driving into the City and it is pretty convenient for the subway and transit.

I'd say even 15 minutes is being too optimistic. Park Lake is not bad if you drive and want to live near the lake and park, but less than ideal for what the OP is looking for.

Back