News   May 06, 2024
 477     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 673     1 

Where should my 65+ y.o. parents downsize to?

College Park

They have all the stores you mentioned. Underground connection to 777 bay street and walking distance to Eaton Centre.

Seems like a perfect place for your parents.

The floor plans look great! We actually grew up in the High Park area. I think my parents prefer to stay fairly central (close to the Yonge-University line) and in an area where there is more within walking distance. They used to live at 55 Harbour Square at Bay and Queen's Quay--I don't think they're interested in living at Harbourfront again.

I hadn't considered the apartments at Manulife, but I think they'd love that location. I heard years ago from a friend that there is a long waiting list to get an apartment there. Is that true? Also, what condition are the apts in? Is there ensuite laundry or is it common laundry (common laundry would be a deal breaker for them).

I think the Manulife is a fantastic idea! What's the demographic in the building? Are there many students? Is it well-maintained? What are the views in the building like? And my last question--how would you compare it to 18 Yorkville (other than the latter is probably more expensive)?

If you decide on a condo, make sure that it is on the lower floors. This is in case of elevator problems or fire, they could (if able) to use the stairs. Even if the elevators are working, and they are able, they could still use the stairs as exercise. While the upper floors do offer the better view and are quieter, they are usually more expensive.
BTW. Fire ladders can reach up to the seventh floor, depending on the height of the floors of course. That is why, when I go to hotels, I stay no higher than 7.
I hadn't thought of that (I was thinking more about what kind of view they would have) but you're absolutely right.

College Park

They have all the stores you mentioned. Underground connection to 777 bay street and walking distance to Eaton Centre.

Seems like a perfect place for your parents.
They never go to College Park, but I'm going to encourage them to at least check it out and see how they like the area.

Funny I had the same opinion of the first few blocks south of Yonge and Eglinton for a while as well. Once you walk it a few times though you'll realize it's pretty interesting actually, there are some nice restaurants and shops all the way down to a little bit north of St. Clair, after which it's quite a for a bit.

Yonge and Eglinton is full of rental buildings, your not going to avoid that. Moreover, "but it looks like the building is in the midst of rental buildings"

You need to realize most areas you've mentioned are just like that, if there aren't explicit rental buildings the condo units are being rented out by the owners.

After reading the first half of your post my first reaction was to say Yonge and Eglinton. But there are a lot more variables
Another big plus for Yonge and Eglinton is that both my sister and brother live in the area. I'm in Boston, but when I move back I'm hoping to move somewhere around Yonge and Eg too.

Does anyone know anything about 7 Broadway? The location's fantastic.

Also, what's the demographic of Minto Midtown? Is it mostly young singles and young couples? There are some 2 bedroom suites with good layouts --square not narrow living/dining areas which are hard to find so I want my parents to at least take a look.

I think the Manulife is a fantastic idea! What's the demographic in the building? Are there many students? Is it well-maintained? What are the views in the building like? And my last question--how would you compare it to 18 Yorkville (other than the latter is probably more expensive)?

Manulife has a pretty wide mix of people, but with that said, I know there are a lot of retirees there (65-80 years old). It is well maintained and has fewer students (compared, to say, the two Polo Club buildings down Bay St.). And the Colonnade is another option, which has a similar crowd to Manulife.

18 Yorkville is similar to Manulife, I think, although perhaps a bit younger. They'll run into Michael Ignatieff there when he's in town.

If they want something new, Bloor Street Neighbourhood and Casa are nearby, and if they are willing to a wait a little longer, One Bedford is under construction next to St. George Station.

There are a couple of other apartment buildings at Prince Arthur & Bedford Road that cater to your parents age group.

I hadn't considered the apartments at Manulife, but I think they'd love that location. I heard years ago from a friend that there is a long waiting list to get an apartment there. Is that true? Also, what condition are the apts in? Is there ensuite laundry or is it common laundry (common laundry would be a deal breaker for them).

The Manulife Apartments are unusual. The bottom half of the building is in the higher range for apartments in the area but they are very clean, well maintained and professionally managed. Apartments in the "low-rise" (the bottom half of the building from 3-29) do indeed have a waiting list, your gold if you can get in there. The apartments in this section range from bachelor to two bedrooms and are generously sized units ranging from about 350-1000 sq. ft. The high-rise section (32nd-50th) are larger apartments, one bedroom to three bedrooms, 700-1700 sq. ft. If there is a waiting list for these units it's likely someone waiting for a specific suite to come available. Although common entrances are shared, each have separate lobbies and elevators that exclusively serve each section of the building. The building has good security and offers year 'round heat & air conditioning. The units in the high rise are fully renovated with things like crown moldings, french doors to the dining room/kitchens etc, have modern appliances but no ensuite laundry. Those living in the high rise have their own laundry facility and access to the pool and roof deck. Suites in the high rise are at or near the top end of downtown apartment rentals, in other words kind of pricey.
I've had friends & co-workers live there over the years so I know a bit about the building. Hope this helps a bit.

If I'm not mistaken the 7 Broadway units don't have private balconys. A definite deal killer for me.

Have you looked at 900 Mt Pleasant. It's a new building, just registered. It occupies almost the full block between Broadway and Erskine on Mt Pleasant. The tower portion is set back from Mt Pleasant. Haven't been in it but it looks good going by. A bit of a walk from Y&E, but the Eg& Mt Pleasant area is quite nice itself without all the hustle, bussle, and drunken 20 somethings that can be the bane of Y&E at times.

Last edited:
My parents are close to retirement and live a five minute walk from Yonge & Bloor / Yorkville at 77 McMurrich. They love the location and the building, which is fairly small, quiet, and is mostly older professionals. Not sure if there are any units up for sale, but I'll check and let you know.

http://www.77mcmurrich.ca/

I live on Broadway in a rental, and I love Yonge/Eg, but the Minto definitely seems to be a younger demographic. I sat on the Starbucks at Minto patio for an hour Saturday morning, and the flow in and out of Minto was overwhelmingly young couples.

Toronto sorely lacks condo buildings specifically designed for the requirements of seniors - the choices are either rental buildings such as Belmont House, Fellowship Towers, the Briton House, Hazelton Place etc. ( with monthly fees starting at $2,500, which covers a range of options including meals, housekeeping, and access to medical staff ) ... or quasi-condo "life lease" arrangements such as Christie Gardens, which are purchased but where seniors still have to pay for a package that includes meals; or a life lease such as Hearthstone by the Bay; or more modest places such as the smallish life lease Sahil Gardens at Bayview and Davisville which has a common room, but no onsite medical personnel. Beyond that, it's a choice of either buying a condo along with the rest of the population that isn't designed with bathrooms and kitchens and wider halls and low cabinets etc. suitable for this group of people ... or moving to places out of town, such as Mississauga ( which has more condos designed for seniors' needs ).

Another big plus for Yonge and Eglinton is that both my sister and brother live in the area. I'm in Boston, but when I move back I'm hoping to move somewhere around Yonge and Eg too.

Also, what's the demographic of Minto Midtown? Is it mostly young singles and young couples? There are some 2 bedroom suites with good layouts --square not narrow living/dining areas which are hard to find so I want my parents to at least take a look.

Minto Midtown is mixed bag but compared to all the Condos in the GTA, yes, you can say there are more younger people.

I just bought in the area personally (88 Broadway) I had a look at a lot of Minto units as well. They're nice, you really do pay a premium for the higher floors and considering your situation you might want to look for a lower level.

900 Mt Pleasant had some nice units as well as pointed above. Regarding the point of being off the main drag there's some advantage in that but it's a matter of taste - that's not what led me to go with 88 Broadway over Minto but it helped a bit.

Panache is another good option btw! Soho lofts are nice but the condo fees are through the roof.

While I'm at it, I might as well recommend checking out the condominium townhouses on Redpath just south on Yonge. You get a big more for your dollar there.

Last edited:
My parents are close to retirement and live a five minute walk from Yonge & Bloor / Yorkville at 77 McMurrich. They love the location and the building, which is fairly small, quiet, and is mostly older professionals. Not sure if there are any units up for sale, but I'll check and let you know.

http://www.77mcmurrich.ca/

I live on Broadway in a rental, and I love Yonge/Eg, but the Minto definitely seems to be a younger demographic. I sat on the Starbucks at Minto patio for an hour Saturday morning, and the flow in and out of Minto was overwhelmingly young couples.
My brother used to rent at the Domus on McAlpine, and I thought the McMurrich building was part of the same development (even though the buildings look very different). I will definitely ask them to take a look.

Back