News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 824     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

What's your Walk Score?

My place in Parkdale gives me 89 out of 100; I'll agree with that. I get around well here with shoe leather, and that's what I love about living here. The house in the 'burbs I grew up in scores 40 out of 100, which I personally think is far too charitable. I don't think a Mac's convenience store should count as "grocery."

Interesting...I score an 82, but the house across the street scores a 77 while the address immediately south of me scores an 88. The score is very sensitive to certain threshold distances, supposedly giving max. points to <400m and giving no points to >1.6km, but the formula makes no sense in practice (Yonge & Dundas gets a lower score than Yonge & Bloor even though Y&D has shorter distances, under 400m, to every category, while Y&B does not).

My old apartment at Yonge & York Mills scores a sensational 38, but some of the categories involve walking up punishing hills, though it earns an honorary ~30 points for having a subway station nearby.

Came upon the walk score site recently and I really like the concept, but agree with the obvious flaws with incomplete data and overly sensitive algorithms. Unfortunately, it looks like it hasn't been updated. The 2008 rankings are the most recent, and there still are no city-wide maps for Toronto or other Canadian cities. Perhaps this team of developers have become occupied with other more lucrative projects.

I get 62 in the Scarborough Bluffs, < 1 km from Kingston Road. It lists stuff as being from 0.6 - 1 km away.) BTW it lists Sun Valley at 2 km away, but missed the No Frills 1 km away. Then again, I dislike that No Frills so I tend not to go there. ;)

However it was lower before, so I think the database must have been updated.

yeah, the database has been updated. My old apartment nearChristie and St Clair only got a moderate score (60-ish?) when this thing first came out a couple years back. It's a very walkable area. Now it's getting 80's, which is better.

Still a few flaws (seems to miss both the Loblaws to the east and the No Frills further west, both of which are within moderate walks) as well as probably half a dozen fruit stands, but overall its algorithm seems to have improved.

My folk's house in a suburb of Vancouver got a score of 6 2 years ago, now it's 35.

Pretty terrible. I would expect Swansea to score 'decently', but it doesn't even register any parks in the area of which there are a ton.

I got a 95 for walking and 100 for transit... Dupont and Bathurst here... I totally agree. This neighborhood is perfect.

I live at Bay & Charles and got a 98. I was surprised NOT to get 100. I'd have to move about 150-200 feet over to Manulife to get 100.

I think the transit score algorithms of the site are somewhat flawed. My house got a Walkbility score of 38 but a transit score of 98 because of the bus route near it. Perhaps they weight the proximity of bus routes and RT stops the same in their calculations?
I'll have to read more about their methodology in calculating the transit scores.
Very interesting nonetheless though. Good find!

My house in the former city of York scores a 63, somewhat walkable. Although several grocery stores and restaurants are missing.
My office at King and Victoria scores 100!!!
Maybe the first perfect score!!!
Not surprising considering everyting you could want is about a 2 minute walk.

I'm about a block and a half from Bathurst and St. Clair, although numbers inflated by proximity to green grocers or cafés I would probably never ever go to.
Walk score: 97
Transit score: 89

I did a few walkscores for my old places in Burlington, ON (50); Timmins (a decent 74); Toronto (92); Kingston (95)

Neat site

Last edited:
Pretty terrible. I would expect Swansea to score 'decently', but it doesn't even register any parks in the area of which there are a ton.
What did you score in Swansea? I don't know the area well myself, but it seemed it was walkable mainly in the region at the north close to Bloor, esp. because the Bloor line stops right there. However, at the south end, not so much.

Last edited:

Back