News   Apr 24, 2024
 252     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 624     0 

What's your Walk Score?

Yes they have updated their database, apparently quite extensively. My location had scored 50 the first time I tried it in July 2008, but some things were obviously wrong. Now scoring 65, using seemingly much improved data, although they still don't seem to have the location of the public library right.

Current place in Cabbagetown... 93 walk score, 92 transit score.

House where I grew up... 7 walk score, 0 transit score.

Funny. The house where I grew up in Bruce County scored a 92! (and that's without finding the park right down the street)

I guess small town life can be walkable if you live near the downtown and the downtown isn't dead.

My current place in Toronto near Eglinton and Mt. Pleasant, a 93.

My address gets "90", a walkers' paradise. Why doesn't my waistline reflect that anymore? :(

It's still crazy outdated but I've increased to a "95" and haven't moved. Waistline now reflect this due to daily visits to my gym :)

Last time I looked closely you could add the features near you that were missing ... and increase your walk score.

Personally my office did move recently to somewhere much more transit and walk accessible. It's not helping my wasteline though ... suddenly I can get there with a 30-second walk on each end ... instead of a 10-minute walk on each end ... which used to force me to get some good exercise on poor-weather days where I wouldn't otherwise.

I tried to compare the population of each city living in neighbourhoods above certain walkscore thresholds, that way you could see how easily you could live car free/car lite in Toronto's core without having to worry about Etobicoke and Scarborough bringing down the city's overall score. It looks like the neighbourhood populations they list aren't accurate though, at least for Toronto, since if you add their populations for all Toronto's neighbourhoods you get a total of 3.443 million people within the city proper. Neighbourhood populations for US cities seem pretty accurate. Nonetheless, Toronto comes out ahead of many major US cities like Philadelphia by this measure.

Childhood home: 73 (in Brampton, near Conestoga Mall and Loafer's Lake Rec Centre/Library).
Parents' home: 22 (in Oakville, I removed a bunch of bogus ammenities but for some reason the walk score didn't change)
UW Residence 1st Year: 71 (UW Place)
UW Residence 2nd year: 28 (Columbia Lake Village, it was noticeably worse)
Previous home North of Uptown Waterloo: 88
Current home West of Uptown Waterloo: 72
Future home in Uptown Waterloo: 97

Last edited:
My home has a Walkscore of 100 (near Yonge and Bloor)
The house I spent my childhood: 55 (Bayview and Steeles)
The house I spent my teenage years: 70 (Yonge and York Mills)

My in-laws in Ottawa: 48 (in Nepean, ON)

Walkability is starting to become a selling feature. But only if it's a good score, of course.

My guess is, with outrageous house prices in the most walkable neighbourhoods, agents want to make the point that you don't need to maintain a car on top of your mortgage.

93 for my digs, in Leslieville. Not bad, not bad at all. Assuming the mechanism isn't without serious flaws, natch.

Walkability has always been the most important this to us moving anywhere; no car, don't want one.

Eglinton East & Danforth Road

Walkability: 67
Transit: 77 (12 buses & 1 rail)
Bikeable: 63

Because it is Google the scores are low, we have 8 different grocery (6 stores + a Walmart & Giant Tiger) venues within walking distance, for us, for example.

Last edited:
I live at Yonge-Finch and only Walkability of 78. I thought it would be higher, oh well I love it here!

My home near Britannia/Creditview and Britannia/Mavis now scores 72. With all shops and services in walking distance I guess it isn't surprising. I basically live beside Britannia Rd, and they finally built sidewalks and trails along Britannia like a year ago, and I do find myself walking a lot of places these days.

Walk Score: 82

I find this odd because, before I sold my house in Riverdale last year, I was at 93. And yet, at my current address, I am closer to the subway, 24/7 groceries, a drugstore, medical clinic etc.

My Transit score is 96. Bike score is ludicrously low (76) considering I am ON a bike lane.

Back