News   Jul 25, 2024
 409     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 553     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 461     0 

What's the weather in March supposed to be like?

SP!RE

°°°°°°
Member Bio
Reaction score
I never know where to go to find information on the long-term forecast/ weather predictions, so I'm going to ask it here.

What is this spring supposed to be like, and of more concern*, what is March supposed to be like? (*As that month can seem either very wintery or very springlike.)

I have heard we're in for a mild one, but I'd like to know for sure! :cool:

I really don't think they can forecast it with any reliability yet.

Average daily highs from March 1-31 in Toronto are zero to seven degrees Celsius (or 32 to 45 degrees in the system we foolishly jettisoned).

Long-range forecast? No one has a clue.

First week is invariably similiar to what we have now ... but a shade warmer. By the time you get to the last week it's generally spring-like.

I don't think anyone can forecast much. The best bet is to look at previous years:

2009 - http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc...ationID=5097&Day=1&Month=3&Year=2009&cmdB1=Go
2008 - http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc...ationID=5097&Day=1&Month=3&Year=2008&cmdB1=Go
2007 - http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc...ationID=5097&Day=1&Month=3&Year=2007&cmdB1=Go

^I'd also like to know the answer to that one. The F scale is counterintuitive at best; completely non-sensical otherwise.

On topic: The rest of our winter is supposed to be drier than normal and a touch warmer as well.

Why do you think we "foolishly jettisoned" that system which starts with an "F"?

The degree starts with an "F", the system starts with an "I".

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? The next person to personally answer me those questions in centimeters and kilos would be the first.

To be sure, Celsius and kilometers have made the transition because we have been bombarded with them daily in the media and on our roads, though most people still use miles per gallon rather than kilometers per liter to describe a car's gas efficiency.

The change was totally unnecessary -- a complete waste of time and money IMO. Different story if our largest trading partner had plans to go metric, but they didn't, and never will. Trudeau's pride led him too far occasionally, and this was one of those times.

Not that I'm saying the Americans should always be our guide. When Bush overreacted to rising oil prices like a chicken with it's head cut off by changing dates for daylight savings time (without even consulting us at all), Canada should have held steady. Sending kids to school in darkness does not justify kowtowing to their calendar tantrums.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? The next person to personally answer me those questions in centimeters and kilos would be the first.

To be sure, Celsius and kilometers have made the transition because we have been bombarded with them daily in the media and on our roads, though most people still use miles per gallon rather than kilometers per liter to describe a car's gas efficiency.

The change was totally unnecessary -- a complete waste of time and money IMO. Different story if our largest trading partner had plans to go metric, but they didn't, and never will. Trudeau's pride led him too far occasionally, and this was one of those times.

Not that I'm saying the Americans should always be our guide. When Bush overreacted to rising oil prices like a chicken with it's head cut off by changing dates for daylight savings time (without even consulting us at all), Canada should have held steady. Sending kids to school in darkness does not justify kowtowing to their calendar tantrums.

So it was an evil plot by that Trudeau guy, telling the feet and inches loving public to go fuddle duddle? This is not an issue for anyone under 40, and really is not an issue for anyone over.
BTW, i'm about 73 kilos and 178 centemetres. :)

Everywhere on the planet, outside of this continent, you will probably get your answer in metric.

MPG is an inherently stupid measurement of fuel efficiency.

so is km/hr ... but we keep using that too ... after 30+ years L/100 km hasn't caught on ... why we don't simply go for km/L I don't know ... we use km and L for other measurements without complaint.

Why is km/hr a stupid measurement? That is how the entire world measures speed of most moving objects. That or m/s. How else would you do it in metric?

As for km/L, that would be a good measure for us to introduce instead of reporting MPG. I think Canada should move away from imperial all together. Coming from Europe, measuring things in imperial units is just plain dumb, all those dumb multipliers to convert between the imperial units. What the heck is an ounce, quart, foot, inch.

My one pet peeve in Canada is that housing spaces are measured in imperial. WTF? We are a metric country, so why does real estate put measurements in imperial? Prices should be in $/m^2, and areas should be measured in square meters not feet. Yes it would make things seem smaller but we would be following our own metric system that is taught to everyone in school.

Back