News   Jul 18, 2024
 849     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 756     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 572     0 

What Megaproject(s) Would you like to see built next? (wackiness encouraged

No roads, pave them over with rich side walks and greenspace.
Everything is accessed by subways.

"Take the King Subway to Portland then walk down to Wellington for a nice pub experience". :cool:

1. Sheppard subway from the STC to the Airport.
2. Finish Allen Road from Eglinton all the way to the Gardiner. Only do it in an underground tunnel.
3. Victoria Park subway.
4. Connect the bloor line to Square One.
5. Build an LRT line on Steeles Ave from the Airport to McCowan.
6. Extand the Gardiner east of the DVP all the way to the edge of Toronto where it swings north to connect with the 401. And do it in a tunnel like the Allen.
7. King St Subway Spadina to Victoria Park.
8. Queen St. ROW.

see you in the year 2215.

Last edited:
I would like to see the Bloor line extend one or two stops west to Sherway Gardens with a terminus there. I would also like to see the future Hurontario LRT swing east on maybe Dundas after it links with a multimodal stop at the Cooksville GO station so that Mississauga's LRT has its terminus at Sherway Gardens as well. The reason that I think Sherway Gardens would be a good terminal and future mobility hub is that this transit stop has great access to 3 different highways. There are on/off ramps from the Gardiner Expressway, QEW and the 427 allowing many commuter buses, such as GO and Coach Canada buses to name two, very good access to this future mobility hub- it is using existing infrastructure (the highways) to enhance our commuting experience with maybe even a commuter bus that went to the airport from this station via the 427. Not only commuter buses could use this moblity hub but many TTC buses and Mississauga Transit buses could stop there. Mississauga's LRT would link the busy Square One transit hub with the future TTC Sherway Gardens hub. Mississauga and Peel region have over a million people and this large population would have a good alternative to choose commuting for those that don't want to get on the GO or a long Mississauga Transit bus ride that presently goes to Islington Station- speaking of which such an extension would take many MT buses and TTC buses off of our streets freeing it up somewhat for commercial traffic.

There are many benifits that I think such a project would get both federal and provincial funding because it really benefits more then one region, which would make it a good candidate for some federal funding. These projects would also enhance the business at both Square One and at Sherway Gardens- which could eventually become a destination itself for many rather then just a transfer point.

Another project that I would like to see is to split up the Yonge subway line from the University/Spadina line. The two seperate subway lines would have there southern termini at Union Station. The platform would have to be either extended east and west, or, if that is not possible one of them could come in on an angle allowing passengers who wish to continue travelling on the subway after it reaches its terminus at Union Station to just walk down the same platform to reach the other subway line. Such an extension of Union Station subway platform would greatly increase its capacity because the crowding that presently happens there now be dispersed to two seperate subway lines.

Having the lines seperate would also help the TTC manage the frequency of the line a little better- it would be significantly shorter and a delay at Museum Station for example, would never disrupt the trains on the Yonge Line and vise-versa. The headways of the trains would most likely be a little more manageable helping the crowding at Union Station and Bloor/Yonge and elsewhere as well.

With Union Station now having two subway lines, all the commuter rail it has now, the commuter buses, the city buses and streetcars, it would really further enhance Union Stations own mobility hub status. One other thing I would like to see is the Coach Canada bus terminal up on Bay St. near Dundas moved down to the improved and expanded Union Station, having the Coach Terminal here would help the commuter buses have much better access to the highways because of the nearby ramps to the Gardiner. People coming to Toronto via Greyhound or Coach Canada bus would have much better transit options (now two subway lines, more streetcars with the expanded streetcar loop, many different commuter buses and even some city buses).

Union Station, already important, would be much more versatile with many more transit options and with the increases in commuter capacity with these improvements. It would really be a much better gateway to the city with all these improvements to many different transit options and choices for us commuters.

I would like to see the Bloor line extend one or two stops west to Sherway Gardens with a terminus there. I would also like to see the future Hurontario LRT swing east on maybe Dundas after it links with a multimodal stop at the Cooksville GO station so that Mississauga's LRT has its terminus at Sherway Gardens as well. The reason that I think Sherway Gardens would be a good terminal and future mobility hub is that this transit stop has great access to 3 different highways. There are on/off ramps from the Gardiner Expressway, QEW and the 427 allowing many commuter buses, such as GO and Coach Canada buses to name two, very good access to this future mobility hub- it is using existing infrastructure (the highways) to enhance our commuting experience with maybe even a commuter bus that went to the airport from this station via the 427. Not only commuter buses could use this moblity hub but many TTC buses and Mississauga Transit buses could stop there. Mississauga's LRT would link the busy Square One transit hub with the future TTC Sherway Gardens hub. Mississauga and Peel region have over a million people and this large population would have a good alternative to choose commuting for those that don't want to get on the GO or a long Mississauga Transit bus ride that presently goes to Islington Station- speaking of which such an extension would take many MT buses and TTC buses off of our streets freeing it up somewhat for commercial traffic.

There are many benifits that I think such a project would get both federal and provincial funding because it really benefits more then one region, which would make it a good candidate for some federal funding. These projects would also enhance the business at both Square One and at Sherway Gardens- which could eventually become a destination itself for many rather then just a transfer point.

GTS: This is a good thought-I feel that an extension to the B/D line W like this is very practical...

The Sherway Gardens terminus has the potential to become a major park and ride facility and the mall would easily be accessible by train from the E...

LI MIKE

Bridge the Gardiner across the Humber Bay area (just after Park Lawn) to just before the CNE (Marilyn Bell Park). Deck over from there to Dufferin, then tunnel through the core. Reconfigure Lakeshore into a grand blvd with LRT ROW and separated bicycle lanes.

HSR is a given

DRL subway, and Queen or Dundas subway (local stops).

RER style GO network with stops in toronto every 5 km or so.

Bury/deck over the rail lines in the central core and add a second level of platforms below the new lower concourse now under construction.

Since far-out suggestions are encouraged and since megaprojects like the DRL are anything but novel (it's going to be necessary), I'd suggest having the Don Valley Expressway and train tracks by the Don River buried south of Bloor and replaced with a neighbourhood built around the canalized river with main-street-style low-rise development on both sides.

I'd also suggest the construction of that 1970s Jane Jacobs-approved Harbour City proposal of a new neighbourhood built along the western waterfront on infill, with canals linking the area. Speaking of canals, why not built some for leisure down downtown streets?

If these ideas translate into the kind of city-building projects I'm hoping for, it would probably be in the Port Lands.

Since far-out suggestions are encouraged and since megaprojects like the DRL are anything but novel (it's going to be necessary), I'd suggest having the Don Valley Expressway and train tracks by the Don River buried south of Bloor and replaced with a neighbourhood built around the canalized river with main-street-style low-rise development on both sides.

There's a reason why we don't build residential neighbourhoods in flood plains in Toronto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hazel#Canada

Back