News   Apr 19, 2024
 414     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.3K     2 

What bricks and mortar retail will always remain bricks and mortar?

But a very valid complaint!

Maybe. I would have thought so. But there is apparently some evidence which suggests otherwise (I post this without having reviewed the study - just pointing out that it exists):

Sean.png

Attachments

• Sean.png
    Sean.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 445
People who like to go shopping as a social activity, or even just as something to do, will continue to do it. For many people, it is a "free" way to spend your Saturday or Sunday, walking around, seeing people and different things. Eating at the food court. I don't think that will ever stop.

Totally right - though people are discovering that you don't necessarily need shopping as a component of social activity and separate the two.

Hume is back from retirement already?
Only to complain.

He discovered Twitter.

AoD

Amazon sells almost everything Canadian Tire sells.

But the stuff Amazon sells isn't where Canadian Tire is making money. Owned Brands are a big part of Canadian Tire's strategy to compete with the likes of Amazon. You won't find CT's owned brands anywhere else but CT. CT has been eliminating national brands in favour of boosting private label quality and competitiveness. (See paint strategy that recently launched where all National Brands have been replaced by Premier) CT is also in brand acquisition mode, snapping up brands so that it can control the market. (See Woods, Outbound)

It's why CT continues to see increasing sales despite the rise in online shopping and competition.

The idea that online shopping and Amazon is a threat in Canada is also overblown. Consumer studies focused on Canada show a completely different path for online retail than those in the US. Our consumer preferences tend to mirror European preferences more than our close neighbours. Home delivery just isn't as big of a threat here. The preference is still largely picking up items in store - hence why many retailers have decided to focus on in-store pickup vs. home delivery (click and collect model).

I think the idea that was mentioned above, about shopping being a social experience, is what differentiates us and Europe from the US market. We value service and human/social contact. We're just a bit more classier when it comes to being consumers. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that comparison to Europe. I'd say shopping in Europe is a far more social experience than it is here. So much in Europe is a far more social experience, even hanging out on the town square for a coffee.

I'm actually reading a book right now on this topic: Reengineering Retail by Doug Stephens. I don't particularly like it because in the first handful of chapters the author explores some visionary futuristic bullshit such as holograms, virtual reality and this haptographic device that can replicate the feeling of real life objects, and these things supposedly putting an end to the argument against shopping online and that as is the need to touch, feel and try before you buy. Then there's Amazon that has this technology that will buy things like laundry detergent, soap, etc. for you once it runs out (totally ignoring the ethical and practical concerns behind that technology...)

The book later on gets into the idea of turning brick and mortar retail into a type of media rather than just being places that have products stacked on shelves. We will go to stores to experience things, and that I can resonate with

Back