News   Apr 26, 2024
 53     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

What are Toronto's toughest neighborhoods today?

L

Long Island Mike

Everyone: I was reading some information on Toronto recently and I was wondering what Toronto's toughest neighborhoods were as to crime rate and general safety today-I remember Toronto to be back on my 80s trips to be one of North America's safest cities-I recall back in the 1988-1990 trips I made I recall being told about the area in North York near Finch and Jane streets-I was surprised how far away from downtown that was-that had Ontario Housing projects built in the area. I just can't picture-knowing Toronto's civil reputation-that there are any areas that are unsafe under any circumstances.
LI MIKE

Toronto's crime rate is still very low. Jane and Finch which is arguably the most unsafe part of the city is not really that bad in comparison to parts of other cities. The area is relatively small and people often drive through the area without realizing it.

www.2ontario.com/welcome/ooql_602.asp

Well, it's been said before that Toronto might be more comparable to someplace like Paris, where the so-called slums + ethnic underclass are in the suburbs.

But then, relative to what you witnessed 20 yrs ago, America's reportedly catching up, i.e. today's areas "of concern" are inner-ring postwar suburbs...

Rosedale.....so many rules....try mowing your own lawn instead of hiring grounds crews.:rolleyes

Blixa: Just like much of Manhattan today! As for Toronto's Rosedale section too many code-enforcement style rules can be a total pain-many LI communities are that way! LI MIKE

Jane-Finch is not so much a neighbourhood, but a name assigned to the entire north west quarter of the GTA, for the purposes of crime reporting. If someone gets shot west of Dufferin and north of, say, Eglington, it's another shooting in the "Jane-Finch Corridor". This "corridor" covers a huge area. Nobody calls a shooting at the Eaton Centre a "Regent Park Shooting", and those two places are practically next door to each other compared to some of the streets described as being in the "Jane-Finch Corridor".

Jane-Finch is not so much a neighbourhood, but a name assigned to the entire north west quarter of the GTA, for the purposes of crime reporting. If someone gets shot west of Dufferin and north of, say, Eglington, it's another shooting in the "Jane-Finch Corridor". This "corridor" covers a huge area. Nobody calls a shooting at the Eaton Centre a "Regent Park Shooting", and those two places are practically next door to each other compared to some of the streets described as being in the "Jane-Finch Corridor".

Personally, I've never seen or heard this. Incidents described as Jane-Finch always seem to be at that location. Otherwise it seems to be the general "North end". With what media outlets have you noted the use of this "Jane-Finch corridor"?

I have never hear of that either. Jane and Finch was the nearest major intersection in every report I have heard as well. I will agree "Jane and Finch" is not a neighbourhood but it is a location based on major intersection.

If anything, 'Jane & Finch' is being reduced in the media to its individual neighbourhood units, like the 'Driftwood' neighbourhood, etc.

I find the media is actually pretty specific when it comes to that part of town (less so for Scarborough). Jane and Wilson is sometimes heard, Sentinel Road (like how you mention, Scarberian) will be mentioned instead of Jane-Finch.

Hi, folks. I have seen Global TV (your pitbull attack network), CITY TV and the Toronto Sun do this. If you've read my posts and wonder why I check these media outlets, I like to keep abreast of what the right wing mainstream media is discussing. I sometimes check AM radio for Craig Brommel or that idiot from Q107 too- rarely, but enough to try and see where some people are coming from, when I get into aruguments. I actually have a theory that the Sun is more influential than people think, even though their circulation is dwarfed by the Star. For some reason, the Sun gets passed around every work place- say what one will about the Sunshine Girl but I'm sure a few of the non-sports stories get read- while I see (and get to enjoy) unread Globes and Stars daily. I even score the NYT semi-regularly. I am bringing all this up to try and convince anyone reading this thread that I did not bring up my Jane-Finch-in-the-media observation without consideration. I'd be interested to see if there is a way to check which Toronto intersections (not individual streets) are searched most often on-line. Wouldn't it be interesting if Wilson and Victoria Park is the most popular Toronto intersection? Am I being too flaky by merely pondering this question?

Erik: what do you mean about wondering if the intersection of Wilson and Vic Park is Toronto's most searched? Is your point that it would be ironic if true... because those two roads don't meet? I'm not gettin' it...

I have been searching for the intersection of Victoria Park and Wilson for a long time, still have not found it.

There is, however, a Winston Park and Wilson.

Most searched intersection? Gotta be either Bay and King, Yonge and Dundas, Yonge and Bloor. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Jane and Finch were in the top 10, just because that's one of a few neighbourhoods defined by the name of the intersection rather than a local nabe name (referring it to as Downsview, would be incorrect). A more common name for the area (given by locals) is Black Creek.

"I actually have a theory that the Sun is more influential than people think"

That's an unsettlingly plausible theory.

Back