News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Weston Village

There's actually a new 'bar' at Weston and Maple Bush (near the 401) called Pizza Culture. Outside of Weston proper, but within stumbling distance for those living in the north end. The big kick is that it's not sketchy like most bars in the area, its well lit, clean, and no characters that hang around. Even has a patio to choke on all the benzene coming off the 401!

2 years later....mmmnope. No Starbucks.

Moved here in December. I think the potential is still pent up though. The Georgetown South Project is going to be a big driver here. I'm gonna call it, 5-10 years from now, Weston will be gentrified with condos for white collars that want to take the GO downtown or international business brokers that want to take the UP Express to Pearson.

For a short while (one year) I was the Coordinator of the Weston BIA. In that year, most of my time was spent trying to shore up attendance at the Farmers' Market. But one of the other things I did was contact Starbucks, Second Cup, Timothy's, etc... trying to get ANYONE interested.

I ALMOST got Second Cup to do a neighbourhood walkthrough with me on a Saturday when the market was in full swing -- to show's there's ample street life. They wouldn't do it though. Nobody would.

I quit as coordinator of the BIA because the board was in such constant conflict I didn't want to deal with it.

For a short while (one year) I was the Coordinator of the Weston BIA. In that year, most of my time was spent trying to shore up attendance at the Farmers' Market. But one of the other things I did was contact Starbucks, Second Cup, Timothy's, etc... trying to get ANYONE interested.

I ALMOST got Second Cup to do a neighbourhood walkthrough with me on a Saturday when the market was in full swing -- to show's there's ample street life. They wouldn't do it though. Nobody would.

Once a new condo development drops near Weston and Lawrence, you will see it. Something that will require people to walk through that are to the GO/UP station. That's when they will pay attention.

Weston Community Cultural Hub

IMG_6327.JPG

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

The project will see the construction of a 794-square-metre Creative Cultural Hub, with 26 affordable live/work artist units at 33 King St. and 2 Elsmere Ave.; the creation of a 1,200 square-metre outdoor community open space at 22 John St., which will be used for an enhanced Weston Farmers Market and public open space; and a 30-storey, 370-unit rental apartment building with seven townhouses at street level. The development also includes 70 new Toronto Parking Authority parking spaces on the lands municipally known as 14 John St.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...e-in-favour-of-weston-community-cultural-hub/

Attachments

• IMG_6327.JPG
    IMG_6327.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,320
  • IMG_6328.JPG
    IMG_6328.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_6344.JPG
    IMG_6344.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,401
A few recent (last few years) developments in the neighbourhood could act as a harbinger of change.

1. UP Weston Station - Clean look, well-lit at night and very accessible (approx. $5 to get downtown in 15 minutes)
2. Artscape Creative Cultural Hub - new home for the Weston Farmers Market, open public space with pedestrian access from King St. and John St. Bridge
3. W Towns/Humber River Family Health Team/Cruickshank Ford and several rental buildings have redesigned new facades giving the neighbourhood a fresh/revitalized look (small, but measurable).
4. Successful independent businesses - Squibbs, Perfect Blend Coffee and P&M have shown that people do support local shops
5. Stable franchised/corporate operations - TD Bank, BMO, Shopper's Drug Mart, Hakim Optical - Eggsmart will be opening soon

Other notables that Weston can pride itself on:

1. Annual Queen's Drive Garage Sale - rare to find a neighbourhood take part in something so big and successful
2. Santa Clause Parade - not many neighbourhoods host an event similar
3. Farmers Market - long running with great local food options
4. Humber River Trails - a very underrated part about Weston that allows people to access one of Toronto's many ravines
5. Clustered stores on Main roads (Weston/Jane) - allows for pedestrian traffic which encourages people to shop at multiple stores
6. History - Historical homes, old architecture mixed with new development is a Toronto footprint

Investment has been slow, but I do expect this positive change to continue. If you want to have a sneak-peak at how great this community is, bring your kids for Halloween to go trick-or-treating. I could guarantee that you will be amazed!

Looking to buy a unit at the 2464 Weston Rd condo across from the Superstore. Does anyone know if this building is any good and how this general area is?

The general area has suffered from a bad reputation on account of poverty in the aging apartment buildings and violent crime. However, it has some interesting assets such as a walkable main street (Weston Road), the GO/UP Express station, easy access to the 401, and the lush parkland and excellent multi-use path in the Humber Valley. There's a good chance that the area will improve over time and become a desirable place to live as similar neighbourhoods closer to downtown Toronto become less affordable.

Just an update and FYI on this project... this is a HUGE accolade in the building community!
Weston Common - Best New Community Project (Planned/Under Construction!)
http://www.bildawards.com/winners

And the next big project will be at Weston Road and Lawrence on the site of the Scotiabank and Weston Baptist Church. An amazing developer is involved and it will be a complete revitalization of that corner.

Update on houses... you can't afford us anymore. If you had bought before 2015, you were very smart. But you will be able to afford the new condos being built on Wilby. Bonus is being able to walk to the GO or UPX in under 5 minutes!

And my store turns 90 this weekend.... see attached for details. Not all of us are 'dollar stores & nail salons or drug dens'.

Attachments

• 90thAnniversary Presser- REV.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 594
And my store turns 90 this weekend.... see attached for details. Not all of us are 'dollar stores & nail salons or drug dens'.

Ahh, I love Squibb's! I used to go there in the 80s/early 90s every day after school. I still have a geometry set I bought from there when I was in Grade 7/8; one of my prized possessions back then.

Congrats on hitting the 90 year mark!

369 Church Street Weston

I found an interesting website - link

It shows this picture
369.jpg

It's stated as 369 Church Street, Weston. You can see the numbers on the house agree with that.

I went to find the modern-day equivalent, but numbers on Church don't go that high. I searched up Maple Leaf, thinking maybe that used to be Church, but nothing matched. Then I searched the other way and found this:

Street View

It appears to be the same house, numbered 217. Was Church renumbered for some reason, or am I looking at the wrong house?

The house is now 215 Church Street. That photo was taken when we lived there in 1949. The house has changed very little since then.
A3D92812-FD8A-4D30-A7F4-89E741B3D845.jpeg

Black Cat Espresso Bar have opened their second location in the city, which is at 46 Rosemount Ave:

Looks like this former industrial block along Rosemount has been converted to retail/work space usage:

1575049228252.png

Back