News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

West Waterfront Ride: Part I: Sunnyside Park to Mimico

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last weekend, I rode out west, along Lake Ontario from the Exhibition.

The new Dragon Boat Course:

Lake01.jpg

Lake02.jpg

Lake03.jpg

Sunnyside Bathing Pavillion:

Lake04.jpg

Casimir Gzowski monument (Famous Polish-Canadian canal and railway engineer). I never seen this up close, I love the use of rails and ties. He's the great-grandfather of that other Gzowski.

Lake05.jpg

Lake06.jpg

Lake07.jpg

Stay tuned for Part II! How far west do I go? Find out!

State of the Joy Gas Station.

Lake08.jpg

Lake09.jpg

Lake10.jpg

Lake11.jpg

Lake12.jpg

Almost forgotten is the monument that used to stand in the median where the Queen Elizabeth Highway started. It and the Henley Bridge and a few light standards in Port Credit and Niagara are all that are left when it was a pretty road to drive.

Lake14.jpg

Lake15.jpg

Humber Bridge

Lake13.jpg

Lake16.jpg

Lake17.jpg

Lake18.jpg

Lake19.jpg

A preserved pier from Palace Pier.

Lake20.jpg

The old motel strip. The condos look almost fugly on the lake side, they turn their back to Lakeshore and the Gardiner.

Lake21.jpg

Lake22.jpg

Humber Loop (on a different date)

Lake39.jpg

Humber Bay Park

Lake23.jpg

Lake24.jpg

Lake25.jpg

Lake26.jpg

Air India monument.

Lake27.jpg

Lake28.jpg

Lake29.jpg

Mimico Creek bridge.

Lake30.jpg

Lake31.jpg

Lake32.jpg

Beyond the Sea. Mind the real estate brokers.

Lake33.jpg

Looks less impressive close up.

Lake40.jpg

Heart of Mimico

Lake41.jpg

Lake42.jpg

Lake43.jpg

Lake44.jpg

Lake45.jpg

Lake46.jpg

Lake47.jpg

Lake48.jpg

Polish Consulate

Lake49.jpg

Entering New Toronto.

Lake50.jpg

And we'll start off again in Part II - stay tuned! How far west do I dare venture? Find out!

Great pics. The west end actually looks quite nice, even the ugly buildings have an over-the-top holiday town appeal to them.

Nice tour. I assume the Palace Pier was removed for the condos of the same name? You'd think if they found it important enough to keep one of the pier's they might've just tried to keep the entire thing.

^ Nope... the thing burnt down some time way before those condos were envisioned. Arson, if I recall correctly...

Mimico Creek Bridge is a mini-wonder in itself (would have loved a Calatrava deck to go with the superstructure, but cyclists wouldn't like that as much, especially on a icy day).

Lake32.jpg
Lake30.jpg

No complaints about being insufficiently rusticated in its locale, but it could be improved by a denser stand of trees and more of a meandering path on the other side (top photo).

Meanwhile, the continuing saga of reconstructing the Royal York Road will finally enter in September, Phase 8 - from Norseman to Mimico Creek. By November, Torontonians may have more of an incentive to drive over, get out and walk or cycle down to the little gem of a bridge and re-acquaint themselves with the surrounding area.

http://www.toronto.ca/wes/techservices/involved/transportation/royal_york_reconstruction/pdf/2007-09-to-11.pdf

Back