News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 839     0 

Wellesley-Magill Park?

ray_vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
New Park at Wellesley and Sherbourne. Between 500 sherbourne and The verve (Tridel).

2726440826_9f00590d31_b.jpg

The proposal to name this new park in honour of Dennis William Magil has some virtue, however I feel that this park's should name should honour the many people whose lives were helped by the Princess Margaret Hospital which used to be situated on part of this land (and/or many people who dedicated their carrieer helping others).

Because of the number of patients helped by the former hospital on these grounds, I feel that using the name Princess Margaret Park would honour thousands of individuals rather than just one person.

Any thoughts about the naming?

I like this proposal. Besides, there is already something named after the Princess Margaret Hospital: the Princess Margaret Hospital.

I was just talking about naming something, not necessarily a park. There is no Nathan Phillips park either, but there is a Square. No real need to name muliple items after one person or thing.

I don't think that there is a Princess Margaret Park though. Is there?

Yes. On Kipling Ave north of Rathburn.

With regards to the Wellesley-Magill name, I like the idea but I don't like the recent trend of needlessly long unwieldy names. Just call it Magill Park. (At least they haven't proposed "Wellesley Central-Dr. Dennis Magill Park")

Yes. On Kipling Ave north of Rathburn.

With regards to the Wellesley-Magill name, I like the idea but I don't like the recent trend of needlessly long unwieldy names. Just call it Magill Park. (At least they haven't proposed "Wellesley Central-Dr. Dennis Magill Park")

I would have gone for "Dr. Dennis Magill's Centrally-located Wellesley Central Park on Central Wellesley." I think it really rolls off the tongue....

...the word central has just lost all meaning to me...

Back