News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Wealthiest Neighborhood?

I know these are old posts but I missed them the first time.

What's the neighbourhood between Hunt Club and Victoria Park called? (well, I call it the Beaches ...).
Fallingbrook. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the nicest part of The Beach isn't in The Beach. It's in Scarborough and it's the Fallingbrook area.

Did I think there were no rich people in scarbro - no, but I didn't know which neighborhoods the rich, or "near-rich" lived in, since the neighborhoods in scarbro i've visited were very "scarlem"

Have I been to the bluffs - nope! :)
Come have a look! It's one of the most beautiful parts of Toronto in terms of natural beauty, esp. if you can view it from the shoreline. Most around here know about Bluffer's Park...

3474002021_1e98933a24_o.jpg

...but it's a bit crowded in the summer. The marina there does have a restaurant which is nice for brunch, because it's reasonable brunch food with a gorgeous view of the water. (It's not very good for dinner though.) Riding up and down Brimley to the park is killer on a bike, and consequently it's a very popular training run for cyclists. I did it a couple of times, proving just how out of shape I am. There are some mountain bike paths at the top of the bluffs too, but I haven't tried them yet. I'll check them out this summer.

Here's a little tidbit: There is a paved road, but blocked off for cars, just off Kingston Road at Glen Everest Road beside Rosetta McLean Gardens.

BluffsPath-640.jpg

This takes you to a path that goes along the shoreline for about a km east, or else a couple of km west. Even in the summer you'll see only rare people there, picnicking on the beach or whatever.

153025482_915b4b7b68_o.jpg

However, to get back on topic... The Bluffs are fairly upscale, but it's not really exactly wealthy, save for some homes right along the water. Why? Cuz the area isn't uniformly wealthy like some people might prefer. North of Kingston Road it's a bit grungy (although not bad until get toward Eglinton-ish). As you go south from Kingston Road it gets progressively nicer and it's gorgeous at the water. However, the average incomes includes the strip right along the water, the stuff north of Kingston Road, and everything in-between. So it's nothing like a place like Rosedale where the entire neighbourhood is relatively wealthy and shops and restaurants reflect that wealth. For the Bluffs, the main shopping strip is Kingston Road. That used to be a highway which isn't very conducive to walkability in many areas, but even in areas where it's very walkable, retail isn't great because it needs to reflect the north-of-Kingston crowd. So you get occasional very nice stores (esp. near Fallingbrook for example), but most are lower to mid end, unlike what you get in Rosedale or along Bayview near Eglinton or whatever. The other problem was the zoning which was more commercial oriented. That's been changed in some of the areas recently though to mixed-use retail and residential (condo & townhouse), so things should change over time.

Last edited:
Kingsway is my choice. Exceptional looking homes with character. Mature trees everywhere. If the lottery happens...

Last edited:
That entire neighbourhood with all the historic Home Smith designed houses should be given one big heritage designation.

They tried, in the 1990s, and failed, due to the usual property-rights worrywarts...

Depends what you're looking for but - for houses, there are some amazing streets on the east side of Yonge around St.Clair.

They tried, in the 1990s, and failed, due to the usual property-rights worrywarts...

Then it's time to try again - we're more heritage sensitive as a society now, and if it were picked up by the media I could see it getting the necessary support.

Then it's time to try again - we're more heritage sensitive as a society now, and if it were picked up by the media I could see it getting the necessary support.
I'd say most of the owners would raise hell. And I betcha if it were picked up by the media, most people would support the owners.

It's fine for an individual wanting his/her home designated as a heritage home, but it'd just be obnoxious and unnecessary to have some 3rd party parachute in to try to designate the whole neighbourhood.

Last edited:
The Kingsway is beautiful, and I would have to agree with gpstarr444. I bought a home in the Edenbridge HumberValley neighbourhood and personally I would never even consider moving east or even north Toronto.

Hmm those pics above of Scarborough are nice but def not beautiful.
They're not very good pictures or at least taken in the winter, not the best time...

Here are some I took last summer:
Scarborough136.jpg

Scarborough130.jpg

Scarborough141.jpg

Scarborough118.jpg

Easy to forget you're in Scarberia:
Scarborough112.jpg

Scarborough110.jpg

Scarborough106.jpg

Scarborough104.jpg

I went there by bike too. I actually went up and down twice, once on Brimley and once towards the West... I have to admit I had to walk my bike eventually.

Back on topic though, the median family income for some tracts in Oakville, compared to the Bridle Path census tract

Bridle Path: $230,887
600.01: $151,826 (Ford Drive/Devon area)
602: $150,658 (Neighbourhoods just NE of downtown)
601: $148,776 (Morrison Dr area)
612.09: $126,922 (Iroquois Ridge)
612.11: $125,963 (River Oaks W)
609: $120,943 (Appleby College area)
612.03: $119,113 (Heritage Way)
612.12: $111,169 (River Oaks E)
604: $110,769 (Downtown)

Some in Mississauga:
514.01: $169,409 (Mississauga Road)
506: $161,705 (Mineola)
505.02: $150,286 (Lorne Park *But Not Lorne Park Estates*)
505.01: $146,832 (Birchwood)

Burlington:
216: $120,915 (Roseland)
223.11: $109,798 (Millcroft Golf Club area)
223.09: 105,645 (North-East)

They're not very good pictures or at least taken in the winter, not the best time...

Here are some I took last summer:
Scarborough136.jpg

Scarborough130.jpg

Scarborough141.jpg

Scarborough118.jpg

Easy to forget you're in Scarberia:
Scarborough112.jpg

Scarborough110.jpg

Scarborough106.jpg

Scarborough104.jpg

I went there by bike too. I actually went up and down twice, once on Brimley and once towards the West... I have to admit I had to walk my bike eventually.

Back on topic though, the median family income for some tracts in Oakville, compared to the Bridle Path census tract

Bridle Path: $230,887
600.01: $151,826 (Ford Drive/Devon area)
602: $150,658 (Neighbourhoods just NE of downtown)
601: $148,776 (Morrison Dr area)
612.09: $126,922 (Iroquois Ridge)
612.11: $125,963 (River Oaks W)
609: $120,943 (Appleby College area)
612.03: $119,113 (Heritage Way)
612.12: $111,169 (River Oaks E)
604: $110,769 (Downtown)

Some in Mississauga:
514.01: $169,409 (Mississauga Road)
506: $161,705 (Mineola)
505.02: $150,286 (Lorne Park *But Not Lorne Park Estates*)
505.01: $146,832 (Birchwood)

Burlington:
216: $120,915 (Roseland)
223.11: $109,798 (Millcroft Golf Club area)
223.09: 105,645 (North-East)

lovely pics, Im surprised you dont have Edenbridge Humbervalley or the Kingsway listed average family household is over 120k

Bridle Path was classy in the 1950's but it seems to be degenerating into something tacky and vulgar - sort of a suburban Dubai. Sadly many relatively humble early modern masterpieces have been torn down and replaced with Mcpoo. Money can't buy taste. Rosedale is priceless by comparison.

Last edited:
Agreed! Bridle Path now a days is a place for people like Robert Herjavec, they like to show off their opulent, but tacky mega mansions.

Agreed! Bridle Path now a days is a place for people like Robert Herjavec, they like to show off their opulent, but tacky mega mansions.

My sister's friend's mother lives next door to him. His place is 50, 000 sq. It's one ugly home. I don't understand the desire to live in something that is as big as a royal palace. Most of the house would sit in empty darkness all the time.

Back