News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 883     0 

Wealthiest Neighborhood?

Agreed! Bridle Path now a days is a place for people like Robert Herjavec, they like to show off their opulent, but tacky mega mansions.
Most of Bridle Path is quite nice actually. Upscale homes but normal size, on normal size lots. Some parts are ugly mansions on ginormous lots, but a couple of the mansions on the ginormous lots are actually quite nice too.

Bridle Path was classy in the 1950's but it seems to be degenerating into something tacky and vulgar - sort of a suburban Dubai. Sadly many relatively humble early modern masterpieces have been torn down and replaced with Mcpoo. Money can't buy taste. Rosedale is priceless by comparison.

i can't remember the name of the tv show, but it was on HGTV, and about a custom property developer, and he built for himself (and wife) the most expensive home in Bridle Path at the time ... completely tacky garish mcmansion

update: i found a link to the property. also, it appears the property is still on the market, almost 2 years now

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in...nsion-from-hgtv-host/comment-page-2/#comments

http://www.thestar.com/article/702994

Last edited:
You may be thinking of Paul Miklas of Valleymede Homes.

Chiming in about the Bridle Path area though, I definitely believe it gets a bad reputation based on the cold, monstrous mansions on Park Lane, High Point and Bridle Path. It is unfortunate because the neighborhood consists of more than just those streets. Suncrest Drive anyone? And although it's just one street over from what most people designate as the Bridle Path area, the neighborhood around Banbury Road (Denlow and Rippleton) is still a very modest-looking neighborhood.

I love that Paul Miklas house!!! ;) All it it needs is one of those faux ancient Greek fountains out front

Most expensive house on the market in the bridle path is on High Point rd $27 million

original.aspx

[video=youtube;Z5H94zwWrS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5H94zwWrS8[/video][video=youtube;qE1Gez-auPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE1Gez-auPY[/video]
Some of the homes in the Bridle Path may be huge but they also use some of the cheapest materials.

Last edited:
Some of the homes in the Bridle Path may be huge but they also use some of the cheapest materials.

i could never understand why if one's spending ten's of millions of dollars, why would one buy/construct a stucco house.

with the size of these places being 15,000 - 30,000 sq ft, i think 'sacrificing' 10-20% space for quality materials like brick or stone would be so much better.

i could never understand why if one's spending ten's of millions of dollars, why would one buy/construct a stucco house.

with the size of these places being 15,000 - 30,000 sq ft, i think 'sacrificing' 10-20% space for quality materials like brick or stone would be so much better.

Because the average person doesn't know the difference between stone and precast and they probably don't really care either.

Most of Bridle Path is quite nice actually. Upscale homes but normal size, on normal size lots. Some parts are ugly mansions on ginormous lots, but a couple of the mansions on the ginormous lots are actually quite nice too.

That's true. There is a lot of nice modest ranch-style homes in the area and unique modern homes, Its sad to see some of these nice up scale homes eaten up by these ugly sprawling mansions.

Because the average person doesn't know the difference between stone and precast and they probably don't really care either.
This one looks pretty nice though:
2139556268_91950e33df.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/2139556268_91950e33df.jpg

I wonder if it's just fashionable to use stucco for mansions, brick is not exactly expensive, after all, it's the main cladding material for new subdivisions where houses are much smaller.

You may be thinking of Paul Miklas of Valleymede Homes.

Chiming in about the Bridle Path area though, I definitely believe it gets a bad reputation based on the cold, monstrous mansions on Park Lane, High Point and Bridle Path. It is unfortunate because the neighborhood consists of more than just those streets. Suncrest Drive anyone? And although it's just one street over from what most people designate as the Bridle Path area, the neighborhood around Banbury Road (Denlow and Rippleton) is still a very modest-looking neighborhood.

The Suncrest Drive part is practically a separate issue--not so much Bridal Path, as a disconcertingly "normal" upscale 60s subdivision tacked on to the south and trading off the Bridle Path's rep. And as far as the Banbury zone goes: the southern part is effectively part of Don Mills, the northern part is a 70s version of Suncrest...

i can't remember the name of the tv show, but it was on HGTV, and about a custom property developer, and he built for himself (and wife) the most expensive home in Bridle Path at the time ... completely tacky garish mcmansion

That had to be one of the worst shows on HGTV. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but he managed to portray himself and his clients as being practitioners of overwhelming tackiness.

I've never been sure about needing a house as big as these things, but a while back there was a nice modernist pile in the Bridle Path going for about $10 million. It might actually still be listed.

This one looks pretty nice though:
2139556268_91950e33df.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/2139556268_91950e33df.jpg

I wonder if it's just fashionable to use stucco for mansions, brick is not exactly expensive, after all, it's the main cladding material for new subdivisions where houses are much smaller.

Overall labour costs of bricklaying is substantially more expensive than stucco. Developors and home owners love stucco, it's easy to apply and hides many imperfections hence they sell it much more than brick.

I've never been sure about needing a house as big as these things, but a while back there was a nice modernist pile in the Bridle Path going for about $10 million. It might actually still be listed.

I recall that property. It was a nice house albeit somewhat dated. That's one of the issues with modernism. When they're a little bit old, they look old. They're not quite old enough to be considered classic, but not new enough to be groundbreaking.

I recall that property. It was a nice house albeit somewhat dated. That's one of the issues with modernism. When they're a little bit old, they look old. They're not quite old enough to be considered classic, but not new enough to be groundbreaking.

Ten million and it's dated. One can only imagine the cost of updating it. Yikes.

Back