News   Jul 25, 2024
 26     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 211     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 344     0 

We HATE Toronto!

Immigration? I vote 'let everybody in'.

There is definitely 'some' truth here. Canada is an immigration 'pussy' and the world knows it. It is unfortunate because it sort of undermines the value of Canadian residence or citizenship when its handed out to anybody like jellybeans.

I, for one, love the fact that we're immigration 'pussies.' How in Gawd's name does it undermine the value of Canadian residence that people want to live here?

And, yes, the fact that my wife is French does colour my view on the matter... I'm very, very happy we have this stinkin' 'Open Door' immigration policy, despite the fact it means my daughters have had to learn TWO languages and French as well as Scottish history. Ridiculous.

Parenthetically -- it was only the late 1920s when my grandparents escaped a dirt-poor Scottish hovel to come to live in a dirt-poor Saskatchewan hovel. Not too many Canadians happy about land being given to those Ukrainians and Irish (Scots as Protestants were normally reluctantly tolerated.) I expect that 2nd- and 3rd-generation Persians from 'Tehranto' are going to be trying to close the immigration doors as those bloody... Uzbeks? Moroccans? Scots/Irish, again?... try to get into Canada and feed off 'our' welfare state!

Get over yourself. Immigration is one of the things that makes Toronto great.

Not really. Most of the immigrants come here now because they can basically continue living as they did back home except with the added benefits that being in a Western nation provide. I'm sure that if Europe was as open to near-colonization as Canada is, immigrants would all want to go there.

Not really what?

Even if that's the only factor in immigrants' decisions, I'd say it's one by which they are impressed by us enough to want to live here.

It's not the only factor though, is it?

Why did your people (by which I mean those of your family who first came here) come here?

I know why my people (my parents) did back in 1984 and it has little to do with Canada's immigration policies of the day.

Also, your point doesn't take into account the large proportion of immigrants that move specifically to Toronto.

and why the bloody hell are half the threads on this forum degenerating into immigration policy bitch-fests....for serious lol

Man, what a touchy issue. You'd think we were talking about abortion in Victorian England or something.

Last edited:
Over half of the immigrants to Canada settle in Ontario. Most in the Toronto area. I support the immigration but the costs to us and the stresses put upon our services is great and growing rapidly. It's time for the Federal Government to come to terms with the costs to the GTA of it's own immigration policies and to use this vast immigrant population as a resource and a source of strength.

I love that we have a rich and diverse ethnic population. We should look to our ethnic groups as a source for the culture industry, tourism and as a tool for economic growth. Our local immigrant populations could provide a valuable links to the ethnic immigrant groups within their native countries, and enclaves throughout North America and the world. We could have annual cultural celebrations (like Caribana, Taste of the Danforth and the Corsa Italia Festival) for many more ethnic groups in the city and should actively seek tourists within the ethnic enclaves in other cities to participate and join in the celebrations.

Here is a past article about stresses that immigration puts upon our city.
http://www.thestar.com/Canada2020/article/106702

I, for one, love the fact that we're immigration 'pussies.' How in Gawd's name does it undermine the value of Canadian residence that people want to live here?

Nevermind the Recession, rising unemployment, strains on the health and welfare systems or issues of assimilation lets just let the whole world in so you can get some personal fuzzy 'cosmopolitan' glow about you as you stroll through your fantasy Epcot Centre-like ethnic communities and feel so 'worldly'? How patronizing is that??

Canada is a nation state that uses an immigration policy to suit its own needs and those of its citizens, first and foremost. This is the obligation of our government. Humanitarian issues are dealt with accordingly, of course, but throwing open the 'door' as you suggest is irresponsible. Our families made it here because they sacrificed to do so and they had something to offer that Canada wanted, even if it was just unskilled labour. They made Canada their new home and they were loyal and hardworking, contributing to the growth of this country. Rubber stamping the hoards at the gate regardless of their motivation or our need is hardly respectful to the citizens of Canada who should be put first in government policy. Sorry if this little bit of reality smacks harshly or seems insensitive to you but maybe you should 'get over' yourself.

Rubber stamping the hoards at the gate regardless of their motivation or our need is hardly respectful to the citizens of Canada who should be put first in government policy. Sorry if this little bit of reality smacks harshly or seems insensitive to you but maybe you should 'get over' yourself.

lol you think the Govt should force new arrivals to certain places...

I know it should be done but its better off giving incentives to move.

Its not you can put a 10 foot wall around Pearson and say no new immigrants allowed in Toronto...

Actually we can do that very thing. The question is whether we would want to. Of course there are family reunification issues and humanitarian ones to consider. I'm not suggesting our nation be heartless, but this is a very different approach to an 'open door' irresponsible view of immigration that implies everybody has the inalienable right to come to Canada. Not so.

Yep, once we get the right type of immigrants Toronto and Canada will be paradise on earth.

I'm not sure I even understand the discussion.

We are the victims of the immigrants that come to Canada so we need to make sure we get the right ones....

Wow. Talk about being victimized. Talk about being helpless to change what lies around us....

I have never understood why some people are generally anti-immigration. My family emigrated from Europe to Toronto in the late 50's and it has been my experience that except for a very, very small percentage, immigrants have always been more willing to do anything required to move their lives ahead. I have seen far more people who were, fourth, fifth or sixth generation Canadians who never raised themselves a single step from where they were when they landed here too long ago to be considered "immigrants".

When I enrolled in a computer programming course in a community college, there were about two "white" people in a class of about twenty. This same scenario seems to have played out ever since. Just look at the number of visible minorities who own small businesses. These people are willing to initially take menial jobs that others might be reluctant to, and live two, three or more families in one household (as my own family did). It usually doesn't take long for them to become pillars of the community. Their children typically become the new engineers, architects, researchers, etc.

As an example, many Italians came here with nothing but the clothes on their backs and basically built this city by the sweat of their brow as unskilled construction labourers. They and their children now own large, luxurious homes in various parts of the city. You don't see too many of their names on welfare rolls or on police blotters--well, maybe for the occasional Mafia hit. ;)

Of course, this isn't always the case, but by and large it is. It's only logical that people coming here to better their lives are more motivated to do so. I have heard far too much whining from people who think they are entitled by virtue of simply having been here longer, about immigrants taking our jobs, immigrants straining our social nets and health care, immigrants living lawless lives, and all the other crap. We are nothing without our immigrants. We need more of them. By all means screen them, but raise the damn numbers. If need be, hire immigrants to do the screening! :) Diversity works!

Last edited:
Well, you can say immigration is good. But Not all immigrants are good. Only the ones willing to strive higher, work more and willing to slave to build themselves up will benefit society. Then you have the other end of the stick where there are one who immigrant here and commit crimes (growing marijuana in the basements and selling them, gangs). Or some just have mental problems which will put stress on our health care. (Example the greyhound maniac who had mental problems but was given citizenship).

Immigration is good if they picked the good ones, but fail if bad ones get through it's unfair to those who really want to build a life here but get rejected.

I'm not sure why everyone is under the impression it's so easy to get in here. It isn't.

Back