Mississauga 42 Port Street East | 40.7m | 11s | FRAM Building Group | B+H

I guess you mean that Mississauga was very poorly designed. Don't foist Mississauga's problems all on Port Credit. This used to be a separate village. You shouldn't even consider trying to urbanize this area. Once you've done that, it's no longer unique and people will stay away in droves. You want to go so far as wipe out all the small individual buildings east of this project and the village will lose yet more of it's unique character. You are a dangerous person. You guys just don't get it. Unfortunately, there's input on this from all over Mississauga, even from the region of Peel. People who don't live in this village just do not have a clue. Hardly fair that their voices should even be heard. I'd love to see Port Credit with it's own civic government just as it once had. Too bad about Square One as well......a real concrete jungle there. How ugly can you get? Why in God's name are there 500,000 people coming to Missisauga? There's nothing here now. That won't be Canadians coming here, will it. It'll be more and more immigrants all flocking to the GTA. God, what a place! It's bad enough in Port Credit now, when the guys who run the local Post Office outlet here have trouble speaking the language as it is.

Urbanization? Yup, let's urbanize the whole world. Who needs space? Who needs peace? Evidently you don't so you'll fit right in with the rest of the sheep. Wanna know what your neighbour's having for lunch, just look out your front window! Get real! There's nothing wrong with trying to keep a little heritage in some places. This village needs to protect what's here, not tear everything down.

…and the Godwin's Law countdown is on!

This village needs to protect what's here, not tear everything down.

No offence, alpha_1, but if you believe that preserving a No Frills store is what will protect Port Credit's special 'village' character, you are way off base....and your comments about immigrants are pretty embarrassing...

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the No Frills store, though it'll be sorely missed by the many seniors who live here and don't drive. Somebody earlier mentioned taking the whole block to the east out for something else new, or an extension of the monstrosity already planned. What that person is talking about taking out is a very popular local pub, a marine supply store, a dry cleaners, and a beauty parlour............very unique older buildings in excellent repair. Why would anyone want to tear that down? This would sure not be progress, in my mind. At the rate new buildings are being thrown up here, the only place left for us to see anything old and beautiful is probably Europe. I think that's a real shame.

As for my comments about immigrants, I make no apologies and here's why; new immigrants that come here now either don't speak either of the two official languages, or speak them poorly and thus can't find meaningful work. They become a drain on the economy, not a bonus. The Frazer Institute just released a new report on this, perhaps some people should read it before commenting. Mississauga doesn't have work for 500,000 more new people here. Good Lord, Canadian kids can't even find work here as it is!

While I understand your pov--it's a valid pov and it's his honest perspective--Mississauga can easily accomodate another 1-2 million people without destroying the character of its historic villages. Take every single suburban road like Hurontario, Dundas, Burnhamthorpe etc and line them with 6-10s buildings, take all the ugly run down single family houses and replace them with 4s stacked townhouses with Montreal-style density, and every ugly industrial strip plaza or light industrial unit and put up 20s mixed use buildings and you've just inserted another million people in the area.

There are areas where taller buildings can work--for example the dead strip of Lake Shore between PC and Long Branch, the area west of Clarkson into Oakville.

There are areas where taller buildings can work--for example the dead strip of Lake Shore between PC and Long Branch, the area west of Clarkson into Oakville.

I couldn't agree with you more.....that to me is a very good idea.

The Frazer Institute just released a new report on this, perhaps some people should read it before commenting.
Haha, no doubt... the Fraser Institute is an extreme right-wing thinktank.

edit: just read it -- I don't disagree that reform is overdue for the points-based immigration system, but lmao at the hillbilly outcry the report is generating for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Mind you, reading the Daily Mail etc you realize these issues affect many (esp) Western countries. Every day or so there's an article ranting about Romanians, Poles, Lithuanians stealing British working class jobs. Probably true. Just how the pioneers of Mississauga stole "jobs" from the local Natives. Even in rural Ontario, whenever masses of horse and buggy Amish move into an area, the locals "English" complain the new arrivals are "taking over" local industries, jobs etc. Human nature.

Was at the meeting last week and the NIMBY's were well out spoken on this project including the Doctor who's building will come land lock if this project proceeds. The Doctor is looking for a good buck, but the developer not willing to pay the price.

Some people were saying that sidewalks may have to be widen with all the new people moving into the area and that going to create a number of problems. They were not looking forward to more people in the area. There is already an out cry on the 4-10 Anne St tower and don't want it.

I said to Council almost 4 years ago that they should get together with the developer and rebuild the whole block, but they never try to do it. I understand that the owner of the property next to this site maybe willing to sell her building to this developer now.

The ward councilor support this development as he wants employment in the area.

A few changes have taken place since the last meeting and I support then with one being the removal of the drop off driveway. The LRT stop will have an impact on that driveway if it had stay.

Parking was another big issue and the NIMBY's were happy that there will still be free parking in the underground garage and that's needs to change. Time for pay parking and reducing the number of spots.

No one was there from the developer side and not a good thing.

There was talk that construction could get underway next spring.

The next step is to have a supplementary report done and be presented to Planning and Development Committee, where the public can have its final say before council approve or reject this plan.

If council rejects the plan, the developer can build a big box store there and nothing can be done by the city since it already zone for it.

^ How would an LRT on Hurontario affect a driveway here?

Also, is there anything "NIMBY's" have said on this project that you actually agree with?

^ How would an LRT on Hurontario affect a driveway here?

Also, is there anything "NIMBY's" have said on this project that you actually agree with?

There is still the idea of having the LRT run along Port St and the stop is where the original driveway was to be.

I support the development and don't support most of the NIMBY's concerns.

Hi All. I'd really like to try and understand the mindset. Why is there a movement to urbanize Port Credit in the first place? As has been mentioned before, there's plenty of room east and west of Port Credit/Clarkson. With the new tower on the corner of Hurontario and Lakeshore, the whole ambience of the village has changed dramatically......not for the better in my view. You have to live here to appreciate how it used to be here.

The developer of the Hurontario/Lakeshore highrise was asked by a local business owner and rate payer why it had to be so tall. She felt that an office building of perhaps 10 stories wouldv'e made a lot more sense. It would've brought some much needed jobs to this area and would't have altered the village ambience nearly so badly. His answer to her was that he couldn't make any money building an office building. So to heck with what the locals want, it's all about the almighty dollar. This village is at saturation point now.

My biggest fear is that fact: we're losing rental accomodation in this area at an alarming rate. There are people who've lived here a long time who've been forced to move and it'll keep happening. We need to remember that this is no riviera here, it's a village for people who live here and some who work here.

If I had enough money, I'd buy my own city council. Looks like that goes on all the time. Very sad, in my opinion.

A Public meeting starting at 7:00 pm on June 11, will be held at City Hall for this project.

Council has approved this project tonight and will be rubber stamp at council on June 20.

There are a few detail to be workout, but will not stop the project.

Section 37 was used to fix up the Montgomery House under the Ontario Heritage Act for $140,000 as well $40,000 for public art work. There was a cry for more money.

Knockout panel will be build on P1 for future development to the east with a request for one on P2. Parking requirement will be less than city standards thank full, but call for it to be increase.

$40,000 for public art from a project of this size is puny by Toronto standards.
That was the same comments made by council.

They want to see 60% of increase value for any project to be used under section 37. The $140,000 + $40,000 represents 25%.

This is the 2nd project going after section 37 after all of these years. North Shore was the first one and none so far for the city core.

Back