News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 433     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

For the suburban light rail lines, like the Crosstown and Finch West LRT's, it shouldn't be a problem. Except for the single-occupant automobiles, of course.

Yeah, not having any crossing transit lines helps though pedestrians still require a minimum amount of time to cross the street.

IIRC the EA meetings for Eglinton (now long long ago when Miller was mayor) said transportation services agreed to give a priority for frequencies of 5 minutes or longer on the surface sections. Below that and they would need to build safety islands in the middle for pedestrians to handle a split crossing (similar to University).

OMG!! The light rail vehicles in Waterloo get the right-of-way before the single-occupant automobile making a left or U-turn??!! We can't have that in Toronto!!
Somehow what I got from that clip is they have some sort of on-demand left/U- turn signal. Notice how the pedestrian countdown started as soon as the car came onto the left/U-turn lane.

ION has advanced left turns along the route too but LRVs are given priority over car traffic. The only thing with higher priority than LRVs is emergency vehicles.
So, what I said before? Toronto's advance left turns give priority to car traffic - the opposite of what appears to be happening in KW.

So, what I said before? Toronto's advance left turns give priority to car traffic - the opposite of what appears to be happening in KW.

This is what we should be doing. Other jurisdictions allow the left turns to occur at the end of the light cycle. All our separated ROWs should have straight through movements followed by the signal conflicting turns.

This is what we should be doing. Other jurisdictions allow the left turns to occur at the end of the light cycle. All our separated ROWs should have straight through movements followed by the signal conflicting turns.
Or both, as in left turn signal phase after the LRT and after the yellow light.

So still nothing more concrete than "spring" still? At least here in Ottawa we have an actual date for handover again (the 3rd one given but at least something more concrete then spring)

So still nothing more concrete than "spring" still? At least here in Ottawa we have an actual date for handover again (the 3rd one given but at least something more concrete then spring)
Nothing yet. I fear that “spring” means September.

In the southern hemisphere, "spring" is September to December.

So my wife and I had an interesting ION chase experience on Sunday.

We were driving on Fairway Rd heading towards the downtown in the early afternoon, and had just tuned in to the ION radio. We didn't hear any chatter, but as we got to Balzer Rd (just after where Fairway becomes Courtland) we saw the gates at the car dealership on their way up. We were just behind a train.

It did a quick stop/go at Block Line station which allowed us to pass, and we turned left onto Hayward to watch it there. The pedestrian gates at the Hayward/Courtland corner were slow to drop, forcing the LRV (discovered to be 514) to wait as we made our own left turn onto Hayward. The lights at the Hayward crossing just started to flash as we arrived, so we waited for the gates to drop and the train to pass. Then we hightailed it to Homer Watson and onto Ottawa to catch up.

As we crossed Courtland 514 was halfway up the hill to Charles, completing its turn before we got stuck at a red light trying to follow. We caught up to it at Borden, where it did another quick stop/go at the station, and we were able to keep ahead of it on Charles by driving faster than its limit through the turns. We parallel parked between Eby and Benton to wait for it to catch up, which I expected to take some time as they always have a red signal at the street crossovers and have to radio for permission to proceed.

The train passed us in no time and I realized two very important things:

1) It did not radio for permission to proceed through the Cameron crossover, it just went.
2) It had sailed through every traffic light we observed on Ottawa and Charles without ever having to stop and wait.

If the LRV hadn't done a quick stop/go at each station we'd never have been able to keep up to it by car, its luck with the lights remained uncanny.

Unfortunately it wasn't as lucky with the lights on Duke St, so we got ahead of it again and pulled into the Kaufman Lofts to wait. Once it passed us on Francis we again gave chase, but it didn't wait for another light all the way to Waterloo Town Square, nor did it stop and radio for permission at the Green crossover. We were continually behind it yet again!

Based on Sunday's experience, I would have to say that the FIE and its integration with the traffic signals (except on Duke St) works great, and the fact we couldn't keep up to it by car even though it was doing a stop/go at every station bodes well for the future. I can't wait to experience it as a passenger!

^A transit guy down that way tells me that they have had their first tram-auto mishap. Nothing serious, and it stayed below the radar.

- Paul

So my wife and I had an interesting ION chase experience on Sunday.

We were driving on Fairway Rd heading towards the downtown in the early afternoon, and had just tuned in to the ION radio. We didn't hear any chatter, but as we got to Balzer Rd (just after where Fairway becomes Courtland) we saw the gates at the car dealership on their way up. We were just behind a train.

It did a quick stop/go at Block Line station which allowed us to pass, and we turned left onto Hayward to watch it there. The pedestrian gates at the Hayward/Courtland corner were slow to drop, forcing the LRV (discovered to be 514) to wait as we made our own left turn onto Hayward. The lights at the Hayward crossing just started to flash as we arrived, so we waited for the gates to drop and the train to pass. Then we hightailed it to Homer Watson and onto Ottawa to catch up.

As we crossed Courtland 514 was halfway up the hill to Charles, completing its turn before we got stuck at a red light trying to follow. We caught up to it at Borden, where it did another quick stop/go at the station, and we were able to keep ahead of it on Charles by driving faster than its limit through the turns. We parallel parked between Eby and Benton to wait for it to catch up, which I expected to take some time as they always have a red signal at the street crossovers and have to radio for permission to proceed.

The train passed us in no time and I realized two very important things:

1) It did not radio for permission to proceed through the Cameron crossover, it just went.
2) It had sailed through every traffic light we observed on Ottawa and Charles without ever having to stop and wait.

If the LRV hadn't done a quick stop/go at each station we'd never have been able to keep up to it by car, its luck with the lights remained uncanny.

Unfortunately it wasn't as lucky with the lights on Duke St, so we got ahead of it again and pulled into the Kaufman Lofts to wait. Once it passed us on Francis we again gave chase, but it didn't wait for another light all the way to Waterloo Town Square, nor did it stop and radio for permission at the Green crossover. We were continually behind it yet again!

Based on Sunday's experience, I would have to say that the FIE and its integration with the traffic signals (except on Duke St) works great, and the fact we couldn't keep up to it by car even though it was doing a stop/go at every station bodes well for the future. I can't wait to experience it as a passenger!

I tried to chase an LRV from Conestoga Mall out though Uptown Waterloo last week. It can't be done. Even at the complicated intersections on and off of Northfield, the LRVs sail through quite quickly. I was worried that with all the lights and the low speed limits, it wouldn't be any faster than the 200 bus. I don't think I have to worry about that.

Back