News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

why is large lot development preferred for you? Why divert our transit away from a beautiful downtown that could use an injection of life and modern amenities (after all, the streetcar used to go here). Galt has the architecture and natural heritage that brings people to it. Why divert the impending value increases to Suzie Sheirs and Applebees when it could go to a real existing neighbourhood? Nobody wants to take transit that's not direct. You're vouching for the system of development that has sprung up along the Shepard line in Toronto. Except even that goes in a straight line. Small scale and small lots are how actually nice cities are made. I've lived in large developments before, they're boring as heck, and all the money goes to the developer. As a result of diverting the train, you're making it less desirable to use and also funnelling the economic benefits into a single non-entitie's pocket. hespler road is unwalkable and not well connected to any surrounding area, and probably always will be. Dumping condos on it will leave you with an even worse version of bayview and Shepard. That intersection has the worst traffic congestion of all of Toronto, because not everyone ie trying to get o the Yonge line. Do you actually enjoy being in large lot developments? They're usually completely car dependant, and at Hespler they definitely will be. If you're ok funnelling time and money to that, and believe that living in a tower block on a suburban arterial with an indirect streetcar route is superior to living in a centrally located infill in a booming historic downtown with direct transit connections to heavy rail and cultural institutions, then there's Probably no point of this convo. I do question your connection to this project and the area in general, specifically why Hespler alignment benefits anyone, and who. If this goes through it will be a wasted opportunity to make Galt an actual place, and will rob their population of benefits while creating a Logan's run type scenario beside suzie sheirs and an endless industrial park. Putting in a core route and having a feeder system of buses has been proven to work. If this gets built it will have pitiful ridership for the first 70 years and inconvenience those who actually use it, while also messing up traffic on the actual road as well. It's a lose lose. The only money to be gained is by smartcentre or whoever else owns the monstrosities along this unfortunate stretch. (Edit:your/you're)

Quite simple answer to your concern. There is currently not enough existing density in Preston/Galt to justify LRT. The only way that the city as a whole can justify LRT is to look at future growth. If you want bus service by all means keep the existing density.

But if you want LRT to Galt you need added density along the route. It's a long way from Kitchener to Galt to have an LRT with zero demand along the entire route until you get to the end.

And yes, Preston is nice. But a 4 block strip of worn down stores with large parking lots behind and no residential/commercial density. Not a hot spot for LRT.

upload_2017-2-15_17-0-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-15_17-0-20.png
    upload_2017-2-15_17-0-20.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 439
The real question is what is the Mean Distance Between Failure (MDBF) going to be? I'll assume it'll be higher since there will be less people jamming the doors but they do have twice as many doors.

A video was posted yesterday by the region asserting that 96% of track is laid and 100% of underground utilities are complete.

A video was posted yesterday by the region asserting that 96% of track is laid and 100% of underground utilities are complete.

...are they not putting any curbs on the LRT track areas to physically separate cars from driving onto them?

Its the same old story as the new 509/510 along Queens Quay, no curbs, all in the name of "Aesthetic" and "modern looks"

yeah, meanwhile there is a slow order on streetcars through that area because of the risk of pedestrians walking and cars driving on the tracks.

Someone is going to get killed, but hey, it looks nice.

...are they not putting any curbs on the LRT track areas to physically separate cars from driving onto them?
Centre-running sections have curbs, side-running sections do not. It's clearly not a reason of aesthetics, as it's pretty utilitarian compared to Queens Quay.

side-running sections do not.

Really dumb, and I predict after numorous cars parking on the LRT tracks and causing delays and possibly an accident or two, they will be put in.

Hopefully no one will get hurt until they come to their senses.

Same with QQ, unfortunately I think it will take someone getting hurt or killed before they will come to their senses and put up fences on the pedestrian side and higher curbs and or bollards on the car side.

I reviewed the website already. It just says it has departed from the plant not which railway it's being carried on to get to Toronto or even that the direction of travel is Winnipeg, rather than Toronto. It doesn't say either way.

A friend of mine lives in Thunder Bay and saw it in the CP Westfort Yard buried in the yard and believe CP is taking it. It may have gone slightly west at one point, but I was told in actually went west a bit to get to the CP mainline and then headed east to the Westfort Yard. Let me know if you want a more zoomed in version and I can label the CP yards. There's the Westfort Yard and the "E" Yard.

Here's a helpful map I did based on the Railway Association of Canada's Rail Atlas to assist.

8cmmO0Z.png

Given the LRT car is with a new GO car that comes down by CP through Sudbury, presumably the Waterloo car will come the usual route.
upload_2017-2-16_18-50-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-16_18-50-38.png
    upload_2017-2-16_18-50-38.png
    391.2 KB · Views: 730

Back