Member Bio
Reaction score
Globe

Link to article

Waterloo ranked tops in world for its high-tech intelligence

GORDON PITTS

Globe and Mail Update

May 23, 2007 at 9:07 AM EDT

Waterloo, Ont., the city that spawned the BlackBerry and Canada's leading computer-science university, has added some new bragging rights. It is now the world's top intelligent community, according to an international think tank.

New York-based Intelligent Communities Forum (ICF) chose Waterloo from among seven finalists for its annual award as the community that best exemplifies the development of a prosperous economy based on broadband and information technology.

Waterloo, a city of 115,000, edged out finalists that included a second Canadian entry, Ottawa-Gatineau, plus Dundee in Scotland; Sunderland, Tyne & Wear in England; Tallinn, Estonia; the Gangnam district of Seoul; and Issy-les-Moulineaux, France.

Waterloo is the second Canadian city to win the five-year-old award, in the footsteps of Calgary, which in 2002 shared top honours with Seoul.

Waterloo city councillor Mark Whaley said the honour is a valuable tool for economic development officials to market the city to global companies. It is also a selling point to knowledge workers, a notoriously footloose commodity that all major cities try to woo.

A key driver in the city's high-tech prowess has been the supply of engineering graduates from the University of Waterloo, which has fed talent to local companies such as BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Inc., Open Text Corp. and DALSA Corp.

Finalists for the award were chosen on the basis of several indicators, including significant deployment of broadband communications, the extent of a knowledge work force, the promotion of digital democracy, the ability to foster innovation, and a track record in economic development marketing.

Waterloo estimates that 75 per cent of its adult population use the Internet, while 76 per cent of businesses and 47 per cent of households are on broadband. The city also claims a disproportionate share of job creation in the industrial triangle that also includes Kitchener, Cambridge and Guelph.

Waterloo is studied by other Canadian communities for its ability to deliver economic growth and increased employment from technology, despite its location in the heart of Canada's hard-pressed manufacturing sector, which has been battered by Canada's strong dollar and competition from Asia.

And an international airport.

Oh. They have an "international airport".

...with links to Detroit and the world! Actually I believe WestJet has daily service to Calgary now as well.

Yes I still can't figure out why there aren't scheduled GO trains to the Guelph/ KW area.

Too bad that such intelligent people working in dynamic industries cannot support an exciting city.

Waterloo region must be the the only city region of over 200,000 in Ontario that is not a fun place to be in during the summertime. For a town with 40,000 university students Waterloo is incrdibly dispiriting and dull.

Wow, its great to be in the same upper level as the cities of Dundee, Sunderland, Tyne & wear, Tallinn, and a 'district of Seoul'; as well as Issy-les-Moulineaux.

I didn't realize Waterloo was still going that strong. Does anyone have any info on size/growth/economy of Waterloo?

Good for Waterloo. Although I must admit looking through the list of finalists anyone want to pre-empt history and coin a phrase for "rust-belt" city is to manufacturing as x is to information technology?

Too bad that such intelligent people working in dynamic industries cannot support an exciting city.

I guess they are all working in and totally absorbed by their dynamic industries.

Having lived in Waterloo for most of the past four years I would have to disagree that waterloo is a dull place to live during the summer. I've found waterloo to be much more charming and livable than other areas I've lived like Willowdale, Malvern, and Markham. During the summer it is easy to get around by bike, there are some nice patios to sit on, decent live music, and the Busker festival in August. St Jacobs is only a few minutes away too. For a city of barely 100,000 I think waterloo does pretty well.

For such a small community there are a lot of local high tech companies here, many of them home grown. RIM, OpenText, MapleSoft, Dalsa, Google, IBM, McAffee, Sybase, Adobe etc.. Currently a portion of UW's north campus is being developed as a "technology park". It seems like a pretty affluent community, besides all the high tech jobs there look to be a lot of jobs in insurance (Manulife, Clarica), and as University Faculty and staff.

No offence taken, I didn't like living in any of those places. My point is that in southern Ontario you could do a lot worse than Waterloo. Waterloo region may be a suburban mess (it is) but so is pretty much every city in Ontario that developed around the same time. Unlike those other places I have lived, Waterloo is a self sufficient city not a bedroom community, and I can get anywhere I need on my bike in less than 15 minutes.

Obviously you aren't going to find the same kind of street life or entertainment as you would in Toronto or Ottawa, but I have never been bored here. If you are into independent Canadian music there are often shows around town, usually at the Starlight. Jason Collett, Death from above, Amy Milan, and Joel Plaskett have all played here. I like hanging out at The Barley Works patio at the Huether hotel on King Street. Phil's is always a good, dirty time but it doesn't sound like that's your style.

I go to UW for computer science. It looks like for computer science jobs the three places to live in Ontario are: Kanata, Waterloo, or Markham. Of those I think i would choose waterloo.

I go to UW for computer science. It looks like for computer science jobs the three places to live in Ontario are: Kanata, Waterloo, or Markham. Of those I think i would choose waterloo.
Repeated: "No offence, but that's setting the bar pretty low."

Though consider we're not talking so much about places as about city *regions*. Like, Kanata answering to Ottawa; Markham (and Willowdale, Malvern, et al) answering to Toronto, but Waterloo answers to...Kitchener?!?

Okay, not like it's that bad; small-city urbanity + college-town flavour, bla bla...

Back