News   Apr 26, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 483     0 

Waterfront: Portlands Sports Complex (8s?, RDH Architects) DEAD

Well if they are going to tear down Hearn they might as well seriously consider the proposal to convert that into rinks. The original objections might not be of as much concern now...

AoD

Well if they are going to tear down Hearn they might as well seriously consider the proposal to convert that into rinks. The original objections might not be of as much concern now...

AoD

That's what I was thinking. Hearn is a big place, so convert it into hockey rinks or, like they did over at Downsview, an indoor soccer field or something. You don't have to build something new, and it keeps a historic structure.

Yep, depending on its costs, the Hearn may very well be a go now. As much as they detest spending, there's no way the Ford administration can be seen to be letting this committed federal funding go to waste.

A smarter way forward would have been to cap the city's contribution, and give an advisory group 4-6 months to find a funding model that would make up the difference. But clearly this building was so singularly iconic that the Fordians had to be seen to be killing it -- so that they transformed it into a symbol of their own.

Last edited:
With this project, I wonder if we might take a moment to consider our place in history in the context of global development. It seems to me that the expenditures on sports complexes around the world, but here in Canada in particular during the financial crisis, is an utter waste of our resources. I absolutely rejected and opposed Ford at almost every single turn, but I would support him if he nixed this, especially with the discussion that the Hearn be turned into a giant stadium.

No offense to sports enthusiasts, but if we look around the world and at the debt we are in, Hockey is not going to save us. Did you know we are projected to add 171 billion in Federal debt, eclipsing the decade and a half long quest to slay the deficit. I say reject that money.

Think of the other much more distinguished and productive purposes which that venerable site could serve. Invest in some 21st century industry. A national green power science centre, echoing the past?

No, we prefer innovative ice rinks. And roads. Lots of roads.

Did you know we are projected to add 171 billion in Federal debt, eclipsing the decade and a half long quest to slay the deficit. I say reject that money.

It does seem like those who talk about reducing deficits and debt are the least able to do so because they haven't figured out the revenues part of the equation. They deliver the tax cuts first when they should be doing it after proving the have the budget under control.

It could be said that this "icescraper" had to die, in order for the Hearn to live. If things turn out that way, then it's a sensible compromise that I welcome.

Back from the dead in another guise?

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/152...arena-in-toronto-port-lands-for-community-use

TORONTO, April 23, 2015 /CNW/ - PortsToronto today announced that it will dedicate land at the base of Cherry Street for the development of a community hockey and skating complex. This land will provide space for the construction of a new building with approximately 75,000 square feet to accommodate an indoor, two-pad ice rink. The building will also include space for locker rooms, viewing areas and associated amenities. Plans for the complex will be developed in the next 18 months with a view to opening the facility within the next three years.

Two pads? This sounds like it has none of the ambition of the earlier proposal and may just be a dull barn.

I'm only resurrecting this thread briefly with this post as memories of it were triggered recently by @Automation Gallery in the Lower Don Lands Redevelopment thread. Looking through this thread, I see that none of the renderings survive… but they are still on RDHA's website, so for posterity's sake, I am posting here what never came to be:

PORTLANDS+01.jpg

PORTLANDS+02.jpg

PORTLANDS+05.jpg

PORTLANDS+03.jpg

PORTLANDS+04.jpg

Source

Back