News   Jul 12, 2024
 885     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 795     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 

Waterfront: Lake Ontario Park (Field Operations)

Re: Parc Downsview Park

/\ - Except this looks like it will be built in our lifetime. ;)

You are right. I like the idea of letting the natural process, in a sense, design the park and allowing 'a rough and remote wild lands in the city', "unsanitized by design."

I can't wait until you can bike down the humber, along the waterfront, and back up the Don Valley without ever hitting a vehicular road. :p

From the Globe Real Estate section, by JBM:

Lake Ontario Park

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Last week, James Corner, founder and director of the New York architectural firm Field Operations, flew into Toronto for the unveiling of his company's interim plans for Lake Ontario Park. The public event at the Radisson Admiral Hotel, which was thronged by some 400 interested citizens, was something we'd been looking forward to since early last year, when Field Operations landed a contract with Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. (TWRC) to transform a long strip of Hogtown's urban shoreline into a continuous refuge of beaches and wetlands.

The results of the firm's labours, as things have turned out, were worth waiting for. If our luck holds up and the money keeps flowing — the cost of making Lake Ontario Park has been estimated at $300-million — what Mr. Corner and his team have in mind will beautifully transfigure a mighty strip of Hogtown's dilapidated and long-abused waterfront into a place we can be rightly proud of. It will be the pride and joy, especially, of the thousands of people who will be living and working close to the water, once TWRC's $17-billion rollout of houses and business facilities is complete.

Speaking of Lake Ontario Park, Mr. Corner told me: “We want to capitalize on the scale of its wildness, its lake-edge context. It's all edge. There is no huge interior like Central Park [in New York] or Stanley Park. Our project involved creating a park that is publicly accessible while keeping the wilderness, exposure to the weather, openness to ecology.â€

A driving idea in the scheme is to keep “hard†landscaping light on the ground.

“If you start building promenades, railings, trash cans and other furnishings, you start losing scale and the sense of place. We will be trying to keep [the park] as open as possible.â€

While there will be a few of what Mr. Corner calls “iconic destinations†— restaurants, interpretation centres and such — the site will be given over mostly to long thoroughfares skirting the water's edge, meant for the enjoyment of runners, cyclists and walkers. “There will be lots of walking and cycling, and two- to four-hour walks — not 10-minute promenades. Boating is going to be huge, and nature education [that involves] just being in nature.â€

One of the most intriguing parts of the Field Operations scheme is a 140-acre “dunescape of hills and hollows,†proposed for a swatch of poisoned ground between Unwin Avenue and the lake, in the port industrial district. “Existing contamination can be dealt with by capping it,†Mr. Corner said. This feature, to be called The Bar, recreates Fisherman's Island, a long sandbar that once stood between the open lake and the huge, wild marsh (now filled in) at the mouth of the Don River.

What is most impressive in the overall plan, however, is its sheer breadth of vision. Instead of dealing with the opportunity provided by our shoreline in a piecemeal fashion — in the manner too characteristic of city hall, that is — Field Operations proposes we think boldly and grandly, and seize the day. The result could well be one of the world's great waterfront parks: a margin of excellent recreational real estate between the city and Lake Ontario, where land and water meet in a marvellous variety of ways.

As Toronto embarks on this adventure of imagination, we should be glad to have James Corner on our side. He is one of North America's outstanding landscape architects and urban designers. His current projects include the transformation of a 2,200-acre Staten Island dump site into a culturally vivid, ecologically diverse park, and (with the architectural office Diller Scofidio + Renfro) the creation of New York's celebrated High Line park, which will see a 2.4-kilometre stretch of abandoned elevated railway turned into a new urban trail suspended above the Manhattan sidewalks.

In these and other projects, Field Operations is riding the surging wave of public interest in saving and rejuvenating the wastelands left by North America's Industrial Age.

“The past 20 years has seen a huge abundance of brownfields, abandoned post-industrial sites, abandoned airports and port facilities,†Mr. Corner said. “They are very big, technically complicated because of pollution, sometimes in strange locations with regard to the city.â€

Toronto's blasted industrial brownfields will be saved from their current state of ruin, if all unfolds on the waterfront as expected. We look forward to Field Operations' final plans for Lake Ontario Park, which should be ready this summer.

jmays@globeandmail.com

AoD

Lake Ontario Park

4kmpsao.jpg

4qqb8tk.jpg

4l447ph.jpg

5y1eheh.jpg

4mmh8qo.jpg

4uyvubp.jpg

6c33393.jpg

4lou9nr.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

52x58pg.jpg

4lptq9y.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6euz3id.jpg

5ybpniw.jpg

4yq2quo.jpg

68ivj0i.jpg

4vfqkxl.jpg

630umau.jpg

4uwt507.jpg

5xnfknn.jpg

4tur8fn.jpg

66m33o6.jpg

4vn15lh.jpg

6284uiu.jpg

5yn0q50.jpg

6frvrds.jpg

Where are the images from? What's the story?

That said, it looks like interesting ways of tying all the east-central waterfront parks together. The Ashbridge Park redo looks very interesting.

I went out to that beach for the day last summer. It's really nice and quite well-used. The biggest problem is that they have to try and maintain the sand better. It was a bit litter-strewn. Of course non-periodically-poisonous water would help, too...

Hmm, Megapark for the Megacity.

I presume they (the many) will all be coherently linked into the one.

Thats so cool

It even looks like they've left some room for amateur sport -looks like canoe/kayak races in one of the photos- I wonder if thats to help sell this idea in terms of being a good investment for a future olympic bid

Amazing post... nice to see Lake Ontario info. and renderings all together like that.

It truly will increase the living quality of this city. I'm so excited about it.

Thats so cool

It even looks like they've left some room for amateur sport -looks like canoe/kayak races in one of the photos- I wonder if thats to help sell this idea in terms of being a good investment for a future olympic bid

That's kind of what I thought when looking at those pics - they look like the kinds of pictures included in an Olympic Bid Book. If Toronto had won 2008, I dont think they had any plans to use this stretch of the spit, but rather focus venues on the Portlands and Ashbridges Bay. Putting some swimming venues, kayaking, beach vollyball etc out on the spit would have been a great way to promote it's use.

I think the trick for park planners is to make this area easily accessible, and to make people WANT to journey all the way out there. There are no transit lines going from the Portlands to the end of the Spit. Will that many people want to walk all that way??

here is a possible transit plan they could be using for the lower don lands. im pretty sure they're planning on using street cars there.
6bk1lih.jpg

title correction

A small correction - the firm heading this project is Field Operations, not Foreign Office Architects.

I know it has been mentioned before but I don't know if anyone had a clear answer. Are they discontinuing clean-fill land reclamation on the spit and if so where will the clean-fill go afterwards?

Back