News   Jul 12, 2024
 760     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 692     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Waterfront: Lake Ontario Park (Field Operations)

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Star, by Hume:

Park along shoreline could be `spectacular'
Sep. 21, 2006. 01:00 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

Though it doesn't occupy much space in the public consciousness, when Lake Ontario Park is completed it will be largest place of its kind in the city.

At just less than 1,000 acres, it will stretch from the magnificent R.C. Harris Filtration Plant in the east all the way to Cherry Beach and the tip of the Leslie Street Spit in the west.

But as landscape architect James Corner points out, "It's all edge. It doesn't really have an interior."

In fact, from one end to the other, the park will extend 37 kilometres in and out along the shoreline. And, Corner adds, if you include the Inner Harbour, the size of the park will be 1,670 acres. That's twice the size of Central Park in New York City.

Corner's firm, Field Operations, won the competition to design Lake Ontario Park earlier this year. Organized by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp., the idea was to create a place that will be one of the big attractions of the city's rebuilt harbourlands. Indeed, it is intended to draw people from around the world, let alone the rest of Canada.

Field Operations, a highly regarded landscape architectural practice based in Manhattan, has come to international prominence for a series of projects in locales as diverse as Singapore and New York.

"This is a great time for public space," says Corner. "We're building large parks in post-industrial cities everywhere. They bring new utility and new identity to the city."

Toronto is a perfect example; like so many other communities, it is trying to figure out what to do with vast tracts of land once dedicated to shipping, manufacturing and warehousing. Though the amount of land available here is larger than in most cities, the same process is unfolding on our waterfront. Though we have been slower off the mark than some, regeneration has definitely started.

The road has not been smooth, and understandably there's widespread cynicism. Just this week, the government of Ontario made it official the wildly ill-conceived Portlands Energy Station will be built next to the abandoned Hearn Generating Station, on land set aside for a mixed-use neighbourhood. This flies in the face of five years of planning and demonstrates why Torontonians are so skeptical both about waterfront redevelopment and civic government, which is powerless to stop Premier Dalton McGuinty's panic-driven scheme.

Lake Ontario Park on the other hand is all good news.

"The challenge," Corner explains, "is to connect the disparate elements that make up the existing landscape. It has a mystical and poetic quality, but it's a depositional landscape. You can never quite define it. Certainly you don't want a Battery Park esplanade running along the water's edge. That would be exactly the wrong thing. We want to bring a light touch to the project but make bold moves."

As project designer Ellen Neises points out, "It's an amazing site. Our desire is to create a signature park for Canada, not just Toronto. We have to determine which are the areas to leave alone and which should be intensified. Already it accommodates a huge range of uses."

Unbeknownst to many Torontonians, the land that will become Lake Ontario Park is home to three globally significant bird nesting sites, as well as countless joggers, boaters, birders, bathers and bikers.

"The potential is here to have a spectacular park," Corner insists, "a park unlike any other. Many of the ingredients are already in place, so it's not just a pipe dream. It offers a feeling of wilderness and a sense of discovery. We don't want to sanitize or anesthetize any of these qualities."

According to Neises, who has visited the site many times, usually at 5 a.m. when it's coming to life, the first plan won't be ready until November or early December. "We have a concept," she says, "but it has to be vetted by the stakeholders."

Though both she and Corner marvel at the number of agencies, organizations, bodies and bureaucrats involved in the process, they are impressed by the level of debate.

"This discussion here is more sophisticated than other cities," she says. "Torontonians are talking about the kinds of things that designers talk about. It's impressive."

If all goes according to plan, work could begin next year.

AoD

I am going to be cynical. They 'kick started' this project with a $10 million dollar investment in April of 2005. A year has gone by and we do not even have a preliminary plan for consultation.

And every other waterfront project is behind.

I think it would be a miracle if this project was 'started' next year.

*sigh*

Nice article. However, I'm a bit confused because I remember hearing about "Lake Ontario Park" before, and it was a new park that would exist from Cherry Beach to Ashbridge's Bay. Hume makes it sound like the entire Beach area from RC Harris on will be the park. It's a bit misleading, since in my mind that larger area consists of several linked parks. This is re-inforced by the print version which has a photo of RC Harris.

I looked for, and found, a press release from the city on Lake Ontario Park. Park of it is below. I wish the waterfront folks would be clear about their projects.

$10 M Investment will Kick-Start Construction of Lake Ontario Park

Toronto, April 28, 2005 - Construction of Lake Ontario Park, a 500-acre waterside park to be built in Toronto's Port Lands, is being kick-started with an investment of $10 million, Joseph Volpe, federal Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and the Minister responsible for the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Initiative, announced today.

"Lake Ontario Park is about providing Canadians with the very best in sustainable urban development. And, we are clearly making progress on these citizen-focused initiatives that are at the core of waterfront revitalization," said Volpe. "This park on the shores of Lake Ontario will be one of the city's beacons of natural diversity for all Canadians to enjoy and share with the world."

Located along the Outer Harbour between Cherry Beach and Ashbridges Bay, and includes the Leslie Street Spit, Lake Ontario Park is part of the City of Toronto's Central Waterfront Secondary Plan and is one of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation's (TWRC) signature projects.

"In the same way that Stanley Park has become synonymous with Vancouver, TWRC's goal is to make Lake Ontario Park a defining destination for Toronto," said Robert Fung, TWRC's Chair. "Lake Ontario Park is our biggest move in creating the clean, green publicly accessible waterfront that we all want."

At 500-acres, the size of the park means that it will be able to accommodate, in a highly sustainable manner, a broad range of recreational activities including boating, walking cycling and field sports. The park will also ensure that sensitive aquatic and terrestrial habitats are protected. By way of comparison, Toronto's High Park is 400 acres.

The road has not been smooth, and understandably there's widespread cynicism. Just this week, the government of Ontario made it official the wildly ill-conceived Portlands Energy Station will be built next to the abandoned Hearn Generating Station, on land set aside for a mixed-use neighbourhood.

If I read this again, I think I'm going to go crazy. This land was not designated for a "mixed-use neighbourhood" in the city's plan. They had no specific plan for the PEC site, and it is immediately adjacent to the land that the city has designated as a "campus" for cement plants.

^ Good point.

Its not exactly clear as to what the northern edge of this park is. The Corp's site has no readily apparent maps of the park on its pages dealing with this particular project. It would nice if the northern border was at least Lakeshore but if my memory serves me correct, they are presently building a big-box Canadian Tire on the south side of Lakeshore, between the east and west borders of the park.

Is there a big-box store in Stanley Park? ;)

I believe the northern edge of the park is to be Unwin Avenue. It won't be closer to Lake Shore than about 1 kilometre south o it.

The entire water's edge portion IS a friggin' park.

Maybe new trash cans...

Actually everything south of Unwin from Cherry Beach to Ashbridges Bay is currently park, empty or semi forested/scrubland. Those holding tanks directly west of Ashbridges Bay Park are part of the Ashbridges Bay Water Filtration Plant. I don't think the park is meant to go that far east.

Though both she and Corner marvel at the number of agencies, organizations, bodies and bureaucrats involved in the process
They might "marvel" now, wait till they have to sit down with these folks and make this plan happen.
I was hoping some of that $10 Mil could have been allocated to filling those potholes on the east side parking lot at Cherry Beach.

Needless to say, I can't see the appeal of a park which is abutting up against petroleum holding tanks.

Hey, it enhances the trippiness of those Cherry Beach summer DJ parties...

unrelated to this topic, but Alklay's Map shows "Spirit of Ontario I" Cat ferry route...lol ... Is the ferry still alive?

Back