News   Jul 15, 2024
 389     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 549     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 562     0 

Waterfront: General Topics

The TTC streetcar underground portal will be relocated from its current location on Queen’s Quay, east of Bay, to rest between Cooper St. and Freeland to complement pedestrian traffic,

This isn't right. They're building a new portal between Cooper and Freeland for the streetcars on Queen's Quay East, but as far as I know the current portal will remain where it stands today for the streetcars travelling on Queen's Quay West.

This isn't right. They're building a new portal between Cooper and Freeland for the streetcars on Queen's Quay East, but as far as I know the current portal will remain where it stands today for the streetcars travelling on Queen's Quay West.

It was also my understanding that there would be two portals, on either side of Bay St. serving the East and West QQ lines. What was unclear to me was whether or not there would be a continuous line through the portals with a streetcar/LRT route running along the entire stretch of QQ.

It was also my understanding that there would be two portals, on either side of Bay St. serving the East and West QQ lines. What was unclear to me was whether or not there would be a continuous line through the portals with a streetcar/LRT route running along the entire stretch of QQ.

As I understood it no. There will not be a continuous line between the East and West portions of the line. I wonder if it would be all that usefull anyway. Queens Quay station is not that far away to transfer to the other branch.

Does anyone think there will be significant cross over travel between the two sides that would warrent a straight line without the detour to Union?

They worded it wrong. The new portal was going to go just "east of Bay" on Queens Quay. That planned portal has been moved to between Cooper and Freeland for the reasons stated. The existing portal is west of Bay.

As I understood it no. There will not be a continuous line between the East and West portions of the line. I wonder if it would be all that usefull anyway. Queens Quay station is not that far away to transfer to the other branch.

Does anyone think there will be significant cross over travel between the two sides that would warrent a straight line without the detour to Union?

A straight-through line, maybe not, but at the very least it should be possible to make an easy transfer, perhaps at the Queens Quay station.

it would be retarded but not surprising if they did not built a line or at least tracks that go straight through. This would be used by tourists and locals.

it can not be difficult to make a T rail crossing at queens quay and bay.

Yes the QQ line will run the full length and will be able to bypass Union. I push for this from day one in writing the EA back in 2005/6.

There will be a T interchange where the current portal is. It will have to be rebuilt due to where the current support are as they are in the way for going east.

The 2nd portal is east of Yonge St.

If Union is out of action, the 509/5xx would be able to run to Cherry St to service the waterfront.

There has been talk about service bypassing Union, but TTC is not in support of it at this time.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why there isn't a bike path running through the lakefront?

It ends at Yonge street. And going east to Bathurst, is one of the busiest bike areas in the city.

^ That part of town has always been industrial so it was never a priority.

However, you're incorrect: there is a bike lane that runs from Yonge to Parliament and then a path that goes down into the Portlands from there. It's not a picturesque ride though but big plans are in the works for that area and bike lanes are a part of those plans.

Does anyone know why there isn't a bike path running through the lakefront?

It ends at Yonge street. And going east to Bathurst, is one of the busiest bike areas in the city.

The Martin Goodmen Trail is been built along the the QQ except between Bay and Yonge because of the hotel to deal with that issue. Work will start on it in 2011.

The section from Spadina to Bathurst will remain as is until it comes time to rebuilt the ROW where that section will become like the rest of the street that been redevelop. It can happen sooner if $15m can be found.

At one point the Martin Goodman Trail ran along the south side of Lakeshore through the central waterfront. You can still see it south of the sidewalk behind the buildings with Rabba and the Beer Store in them. The lack of a good path through the central waterfront will be fully resolved with the QQ redevelopment. The Martin Goodman Trail as it will be can be seen on street as it currently is west of Yo-Yo Ma Lane and on the south side off the street east of Yo-Yo Ma Lane all the way to Parliament coloured in a redish pink on the diagram below.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//49d3a106cd4f3.pdf

Martin Goodman Trail - Ontario Place

I tried to get some photos of the new section of the Martin Goodman Trail through Ontario Place but it's too early yet, it's fenced off. The new trail will loop off the service road (Remembrance Drive) about a 1/4 mile south of Lakeshore Blvd. at Inukshuk Park and head west from there. This will be a terrific new cycling trail once it's complete, so much safer than what currently exists.
Does anyone know the completion/opening date? I think I recall reading in a Waterfront Toronto e-newsletter that it will be sometime in August.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:
Sherbourne Park & Corus... in progress

Earlier today I snapped a few photos while walking along Queen's Quay east to Sherbourne, and then north. The groundbreaking / destruction is well underway on the park. I must say it is hard to reconcile the beautiful renderings on the hoarding with the dustbowl desolation that is currently there. As they say, things can only get better from here. However, it is encouraging to see the amount of bike and pedestrian traffic on a Tuesday morning even before the area improvements are completed.

Photo #1: Looking west along Queen's Quay towards the Corus building.
Photo #2: Sherbourne Park, on the east side of the Corus building.
Photo #3: Lower Sherbourne and Queen's Quay, looking east.
Photo #4: Northeast corner of Sherbourne and Queen's Quay.
Photo #5: East side of Lower Sherbourne, just south of the Gardiner.

Attachments

• corus_building.jpg
    corus_building.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 166
  • sherbourne_park.jpg
    sherbourne_park.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
  • queensquay_sherbourne.jpg
    queensquay_sherbourne.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 155
  • northside_qq_at_sherbourne.jpg
    northside_qq_at_sherbourne.jpg