News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 593     0 

Wal-Mart downtown Toronto?

One need only look at what Walmart has done to any smaller or mid-sized town/city or to neighbourhoods in large cities - it decimates the area. With that property values fall, owner-run stores and shops close and streets become dangerous, undesirable and unwalkable. Walmart is absolutely evil in every way, which is why so many people have passionately come together to fight against a Walmart here.

^^^ this x 10 (I have always used the "evil" word when talking about WalMart).

One need only look at what Walmart has done to any smaller or mid-sized town/city or to neighbourhoods in large cities - it decimates the area. With that property values fall, owner-run stores and shops close and streets become dangerous, undesirable and unwalkable. Walmart is absolutely evil in every way, which is why so many people have passionately come together to fight against a Walmart here.

Unfortunately, the loudest participants of the anti Wal-Mart crowd regularly make sweeping claims, usually misleading, sometimes false, and occasionally outright hysterics. On another forum I saw people upset at the plan to "demolish all of Kensington Market to build a Wal-Mart". They do serious damage to the credibility of any opposition.

Usually where there is a Walmart there is a Target, Best Buy, Khol's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot etc, all near by. All big box stores have negative effect on smaller citites with downtown's. Has there been any negative effects having Marshalls or Winners or any other big box store downtown Toronto?

Both Target and Walmart want to expand in downtown's like Chicago, Washington, Boston, and NYC.

Unfortunately, the loudest participants of the anti Wal-Mart crowd regularly make sweeping claims, usually misleading, sometimes false, and occasionally outright hysterics. On another forum I saw people upset at the plan to "demolish all of Kensington Market to build a Wal-Mart". They do serious damage to the credibility of any opposition.

A couple of idiots can make foolish claims on an obscure forum, the real opponents of this Walmart proposal are out pounding the pavement making their valid concerns heard, and yes, loudly.

Last edited:
Has there been any negative effects having Marshalls or Winners or any other big box store downtown Toronto?
My wife shops at the Winners on Front St. at St. Lawrence Market and then shops at the local independents nearby. They both seem to be surviving.

Has anyone else noticed that the locations where Wal-Mart has been most objected to have massive crowds wanting to shop on opening day? If no one truly wants a Wal-Mart in Kessington Market, then if one does open it should fail and close within the year. Wal-Mart closes many stores each year when sales are not meeting expectations. However, I suspect there is a vast untapped demand for a Wal-Mart downtown, and there would be line-ups to get in.

It must be nice to own a longstanding independent retail location in Kessington. The community is making sure you do not have any direct competition.

Kensington Market doesn't have any competition? Are you serious? It's a neighbourhood full of competition with shopping and eateries, and a block away from Chinatown!

Comparing big box shops like Best Buy, Home Depot, Winners etc. isn't like comparing to a Walmart, Walmart sells friggen' everything - it's a one stop shopping spot. The others are somewhat more specialized - though almost equally crappy, but not quite as evil. Best Buy & Future Shop ultimately killed the great Kromer Radio store, the very site where Wallymart wants to open.

Hyperbole anyone?
Your comments regarding small and medium communities are probably true, not so sure about large cities. I don't live in or visit the area often so I Google street viewed the neighbourhood for a mile or so around and guess what, it is already "decimated" unless you speak an oriental language. Walmart probably doesn't sell the same products that most of the local merchants are offering so the impact on their business will probably be minimal. As an example I invite you to visit the Walmart at Kennedy and Sheppard in Agincourt and note all the Chinese signage on the surrounding stores that seem to be doing just fine despite the Monster in their midst.

Hyperbole anyone?
Your comments regarding small and medium communities are probably true, not so sure about large cities. I don't live in or visit the area often so I Google street viewed the neighbourhood for a mile or so around and guess what, it is already "decimated" unless you speak an oriental language. Walmart probably doesn't sell the same products that most of the local merchants are offering so the impact on their business will probably be minimal. As an example I invite you to visit the Walmart at Kennedy and Sheppard in Agincourt and note all the Chinese signage on the surrounding stores that seem to be doing just fine despite the Monster in their midst.

I looked around at two Walmart stores several years ago, Eglinton & Pharmacy and the small one in Dufferin Mall - no thanks.

100 million people shop at Walmart every week now. Since they entered the food market just a few years ago, 1 in 4 food dollars are now spent at Walmart (USA figures). 96% of Americans live within a 20 mile drive of a Walmart. And we should welcome them into downtown Toronto? Think about those facts, it's not hyperbole.

Here's a 60 Minutes piece on Walmart from 1996 - 7 years ago. Since then they have aggressively continued to destroy towns and cities and are now moving into urban centres (meeting much resistance) damage created in large cities: unknown yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnvbpXmzA3A

100 million people shop at Walmart every week now. Since they entered the food market just a few years ago, 1 in 4 food dollars are now spent at Walmart (USA figures). 96% of Americans live within a 20 mile drive of a Walmart. And we should welcome them into downtown Toronto? Think about those facts, it's not hyperbole.

Actually, I don't find Walmart sells all that much groceries. The Asian grocery stores have way more line ups than Walmart and the parking is always full. So you can scratch of the Asians purchasing grocery at Walmart. I also find No Frills also get pretty busy. Their prices are competitive. Superstore is busy too. I don't think the claim 1 in 4 food dollars are spent at Walmart. Maybe in the US but not in Canada. The only thing you can claim that food is popular at Walmart is their McD store.

How are any of those facts a negative unless you're being hyperbolical.

1) A lot of people shop at walmart != a reason not to have a walmart
2) A lot of people buying food at walmart != a reason not to have a walmart
3) A lot of people living near a walmart != a reason not to have a walmart

Where are these "valid" claims?

I looked around at two Walmart stores several years ago, Eglinton & Pharmacy and the small one in Dufferin Mall - no thanks.
No thanks what? Except you have your knickers in an irrational knot about Walmart.

Walmart is the largest company in America with the most workers using government social programs. Walmart's low-wage and low-benefit model ends up the costing the US taxpayers. There is great documentary called Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price.

Guelph fought Walmart for 10 years saying Walmart would destroy their downtown. Walmart opened about 5 years ago and nothing happened! Guelph's downtown is better than ever. People who shop at Walmart don't shop in Kensington Market. i shop in the Kensington Market area but i will never shop at Walmart even if there is one near by.

Back