111     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 391     0 

VIVA + York Region Transit

Screenshot_2024-04-22_200102.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-22_200105.jpg

YRT has released their 2025 service initiatives. Pretty substantial service increase, with major frequency improvements, new on demand services, and new school specials.

Unfortunately YRT remains allergic to clock face scheduling and timing buses for GO trains.

Its a nice step in the right direction for YRT standards. Still a long way to go but them finally acknowledging Sunday as an actual day people still use transit for is good to see.

A top level look at the proposed service changes.
View attachment 561713View attachment 561714

Its an increase in service hours of just over 4%, and there are some tangible improvements, but I would still describe this as wholly inadequate and underwhelming. An increase of twice this size would be a place to start the conversation.

I mean when you see Martingrove is getting a headway improvement to 45M between buses..............sigh. Yes, its a real improvement, but less than 30M service is well and truly anemic.

I'd like them to at least commit to rolling out the full 15M Frequent Network in rush hours as a starting point and to commit to a minimum 30M in the off peak on those same routes (without reducing any service that is better than that).

YRT has released their 2025 service initiatives. Pretty substantial service increase, with major frequency improvements, new on demand services, and new school specials.

Unfortunately YRT remains allergic to clock face scheduling and timing buses for GO trains.

...and 24-hour service.

I did leave two comments (one each for Route 20 and 98/99) on the interactive map for the first time though, and they're getting a good number of likes.

This could wipe out most of the ridership gain from One Fare. Also there should at least be an effort to keep adult fares below $4 ($3.95 may only be a 5-cent difference, but psychological pricing means it seems much bigger)

Back