196     0 

VIVA + York Region Transit

E

El Chico905

Free stuff for Viva riders at ikea

ikeapromo_r3_c1.gif

ikeapromo_r5_c1.gif
www.yorkregiontransit.com/promo/default.asp

One more reason to use YRT. I don't think this has been posted yet.

I predict ridership will double during this promotion

I think IKEA is one of the most transit-friendly of the big box stores (it also has a free shuttle service between its North York store and Leslie subway station), but it can definitely do more to attract transit-riding shoppers.

I don't see much value in these promotions. How many times in a month do you go spend $150 at an IKEA store? The meal deal sounds good, but it's probably better to go for the lunch or dinner since IKEA breakfasts sell for almost nothing. By lunch or dinner, I don't think IKEA is talking about a big plate full of Swedish meatballs.

Ikea on the Queensway in Etobicoke is also doing the free shuttle bus thing from Kipling subway station.

yeah, whatever. They built a subway line to Ikea on Sheppard, and what good is it? I need to buy a new bedframe. I can get there alright, but what are my options for lugging it back?

1) Sheppard subway line: $554 million and fifty cents (for hot dog to buy off friend to help carry)

2) Ikea delivery: $59... less than renting a car, still enough to be totally insulting.

I'm screwed either way.

Friends in the know say that that started at $40 to downtown, before the rates went up. I'm frankly leaning towards the lugging, just on principle.

The complimentary shuttle from Leslie station to Ikea is awesome. One driver wears sunglasses and a big shawl and her only concern is that you shut the back door. Another driver says nothing but he does blast South Asian synth pop from the radio.

I like VIVA. They always have innovative little promotional initiatives that is a breath of fresh air compared to the stubbornly paternalistic TTC. Love that VIVA website. There's even a little game where you have to make it to the busstop that reminds me of old Shareware games from the early '90s.

I like VIVA. They always have innovative little promotional initiatives that is a breath of fresh air compared to the stubbornly paternalistic TTC. Love that VIVA website. There's even a little game where you have to make it to the busstop that reminds me of old Shareware games from the early '90s.

I'd have to agree. They seem to really be making an effort to raise ridership. The TTC never seems to try anything new.

Well, the weekly passes and transferrable Metropasses were a step in the right direction. Now if they could only stop those annoying "next stop" announcements on the subway. Either use automated messages or can it! Is it that difficult/expense to use automated messages? They use them on the #11 Davisville bus and it's quite nice. Hearing some grumpy TTC employee (who makes it quite obvious that he/she is not happy with the new task) mumble the next stop does not make for a pleasant ride.

I don't mind the low-tech subway announcements, when they are not too redundant.

"Queen is next, Queen" works well if said clearly. "The next stop is Queen, Queen Station...Now arriving at Queen, Queen Station" is annoying.

But the automated "Make the TTC the Kinder Way" announcements are damn annoying and patronizing.

GO is now making constant announcements, which start with the attention alert chime, then say "Attention GO Transit Passengers. Please DO NOT proceed to track level until your track number is displayed on the departure board"

I say screw that. The crowds at the departure level are worse than ever, and the new departure boards are much smaller, and surrounded by video boards (which at least I was responsible for the audio being cut, which made it worse). Also, my train is always on Track 1, which has a nice wide platform.

Well, the weekly passes and transferrable Metropasses were a step in the right direction.

They were...but I'd like to see some truly innovative thinking.

Now if they could only stop those annoying "next stop" announcements on the subway. Either use automated messages or can it! Is it that difficult/expense to use automated messages? They use them on the #11 Davisville bus and it's quite nice. Hearing some grumpy TTC employee (who makes it quite obvious that he/she is not happy with the new task) mumble the next stop does not make for a pleasant ride.

What's wrong with the next stop annoucments? I think they're fine. Plus, I'd probably get tired of hearing the same automated voice over and over and over...

What's wrong with the next stop annoucments?

They often sound like this:

"Welles... *trails off*... next stop, Well... *trails off again*"

Translation: I don't like this so I'm going to do a have-assed job. Not all the announcers are bad, but the bad ones are annoying.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Transfer station

IMG_0034.jpg

Main connection terminal in Toronto with the subway connection

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

VIVA is a branch of York Region Transit, which operates other smaller-capacity routes in the northern suburbs.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

An articulated VIVA bus in blue livery

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Making an unannounced stop here in Toronto, eh? I wonder where you will show up next.

Nice photos.

Back