News   May 02, 2024
 763     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 219     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 295     0 

Visited Montreal for the first time. Some questions about their Metro system

Montreal Metro is, generally, very good. I use it a lot when I am there and have no problems.

I think it does have accessibility issues but that aside it is an efficient system that provides good coverage of the city.

Biggest tip I have for people from Toronto using it is spend some time with a map and get familiar with the endpoints of each of the lines.....the direction signage for trains is not East-West or North-South but rather trains are to “X endpoint”

Montreal: Nicer stations, better fare payment system, better more reliable signalling system (ATC), more coverage downtown.

Toronto: Bigger and nicer trains (Azur trains in MTL are nice but they are small), more accessible stations, better bus/streetcar connections, AIR CONDITIONING, AIR CONDITIONING, AIR CONDITIONING.

Montreal: Nicer stations, better fare payment system, better more reliable signalling system (ATC), more coverage downtown.

Toronto: Bigger and nicer trains (Azur trains in MTL are nice but they are small), more accessible stations, better bus/streetcar connections, AIR CONDITIONING, AIR CONDITIONING, AIR CONDITIONING.

OPUS sucks. It takes so long to register at both turnstiles and on buses unlike Presto where you can just tap once quickly without having to precisely align the card to the reader. Reloading a OPUS card at home is also impossible without the clunky $16 card reader. Admittedly, I haven't had any issues with Presto since I started using it three years ago and there are still areas for improvement for the Presto system, but I'd take Presto over OPUS any day.

With OPUS, what I found confusing, is that when I borrowed a relative's monthly pass, I'd tap like a Presto card. But if I were to buy a 1-ride paper Opus ticket, I feed it through a reader at the subway station, like the old fashioned Montreal bus transfer tickets, or the Vancouver-style paper tickets - and then get that piece of paper back (unlike the old Montreal paper bus transfers, similar to in Vancouver). Okay when you get used to it, but I was trying to tap my paper ticket, instead of inserting it, at the Metro station!

I can't quite recall what I did boarding a bus now, with my (now already-used) Opus ticket - presumably I put it in, and got it back out of a reader, like in Vancouver (gosh, does that mean that every bus in Montreal has to have both tap and mechanical reading capabilities?)

Also confusing was where to buy a ticket. Previously (a couple of years ago) at Raddison Metro, the helpful STM agent wandering around had guided me to a vending machine, for a 2-ride ticket; but I don't recall if it had 1-ride tickets or not - but I think it did.

At both Bonaventure and Vendome recently, as far as I could tell, the vending machines only charged Opus cards, and didn't seem to sell 1 or 2-ride tickets - and I had to line up (at a surprisingly long line) to buy a 1-ride paper Opus ticket.

Fortunately, one of the things Presto got right (hopefully!) is that it appears that the paper 1-ride Presto tickets (currently scheduled for June 2019) will be tapped, instead of fed into a machine.

The downside I suppose, is that unlike Montreal or Vancouver, you can't see after the fact, that they are used! Which will surely have some black market implications - or just create confusion, for those of us who become confused about whether the ticket in our wallet was ever used or not! I wonder if there'll be an easy way to check.

Don't forget that the Toronto subway system has open sections as well.

It's a great change of scenery from monotonous tunnels.

Not sure if this is the case with PRESTO in TO - with OPUS card in Montreal, it's fully integrated with the local car share programs - Communauto and Car2Go - so that most local transit users can seamlessly transfer between different modes. I have an OPUS annual pass plus free accounts with both Commuanuto and Car2Go. That means I use my OPUS to tap and unlock any car-share vehicles without need to carry separate cards/apps, along with my daily transit usage.

All 3 systems - STM, Car2Go, and Commuanuto - can be accessed through the Transit App so I view transit times and reserve cars at via the same app, along with reserving BIXI bikes. For locals, this is extremely useful, because there's typically a Car2GO or Communauto car on most streets on the island, not to mention the plethora of BIXI stations. So even if an area is not well-served by STM, having an OPUS is still very useful to allow you a seamless transition to car or bike share.

Again, I'm not familiar with how far PRESTO has come with regards to integration with other transit modes, though I'm sure it has the capability to expand.

Question: Any tips on getting around the Montréal métro?
Everyone's answer so far: Toronto's subway is so much better and also I'm feeling very insecure right now!
Uh sounds like you're the one that feels very insecure right now if you cannot take the fair criticisms of the Métro. A/C and elevators are things many people from Toronto take for granted. The Metro has beautiful stations and pretty good coverage. But Gare Centrale to the Métro vs. Union Station to the subway, hot MR-63s and MR-73s vs. cool T1s and TRs, and 13 accessible stations vs. 30+ accessible stations are unpleasant by comparison.

30+ accessible stations are unpleasant by comparison.
44 TTC stations currently. Should be nine more (53) by 2020 and another 4 in 2021 (57). Montreal plans five more (18) by 2020, and then one more in 2021.

Not only are they way behind, they are falling further behind!

Do any of the Montreal metro stations have washrooms yet?

Uh sounds like you're the one that feels very insecure right now if you cannot take the fair criticisms of the Métro. A/C and elevators are things many people from Toronto take for granted. The Metro has beautiful stations and pretty good coverage. But Gare Centrale to the Métro vs. Union Station to the subway, hot MR-63s and MR-73s vs. cool T1s and TRs, and 13 accessible stations vs. 30+ accessible stations are unpleasant by comparison.

I was FLOORED when I visited Montreal by Train and realized that the Metro doesn't connect to Gare Centrale. WHAT? It even passes right next to it.

I think your post just proved my point further. The question was whether the forum had any tips on getting around Montréal's métro. They didn't ask about its deficiencies (of which there are certainly some) in the context of the TTC Subway.

But I'll join in: I have no idea whether the asker has difficulties with stairs/escalators, but the majority of passengers don't take the elevator in the TTC Subway, so I would imagine a similar proportion would ride the elevator, theoretical or otherwise, in the métro. Those people are sadly out of luck at the 80% of stations that don't have elevators, compared to the 43% of TTC stations without elevators. Both systems pale in comparison to Vancouver's fully accessible transit network.
Metro passengers can also expect hotter trains in the summer, and warmer stations in the winter, though the AZUR is certainly an improvement, temperature-wise. It also has a cleaner design and some modern touches that the TRs are just slightly too old to have, like a dynamic map on the LCD screens with a moving dot that shows how close you are to the next two stations, clearer audio and full-spectrum LED lighting, which helps a bit in the metro's all-underground network. What they can enjoy is better downtown coverage, much faster trains, better reliability and to be able to ride the entire network every weekend without needing to determine which stations will be closed for trackwork. Riding on the Spadina section of Line 1 every day, I can't understand why half the trains I catch travel at 15 km/h in the Allen expressway median.

That aside, to answer the original question: My tips for getting around the metro and bus network would be to purchase a paper version of the OPUS card. It still works like the plastic version in that you can tap on subway/bus/train, but it's free, unlike the reloadable plastic cards. They are sold at all metro stations and you can also purchase tapcards (paper and plastic) at most dépanneurs (corner stores). You can purchase an unlimited weekend pass (Friday Evening until Monday early morning) for $13.65, a 3 day pass for $18, or a full week pass for ~$27. The entire network has been equipped for OPUS for many years now, so you can use it anywhere in the region.

The bus system is fairly straightforward, and like the TTC's, often acts as a feeder for the métro stations. There are next bus info boards at most of the metro stations and at a few of the bus stops, but usually you will have to exit the métro station and tap on on the bus.

A fun trip I would recommend would be to take the metro to station mont-royal, and transfer to the #11 bus (west/ouest). It travels over Mount Royal/mont-royal. Get off the bus at beaver lake/lac aux castors and follow the signs through to the chalet. The view is amazing :) Then walk way down all the wooden steps until you're downtown. You'll be on Peel St, and you can catch the metro at Peel Station (corner of de Maisonneuve), or just explore from there. Profitez-en!

I think your post just proved my point further. The question was whether the forum had any tips on getting around Montréal's métro. They didn't ask about its deficiencies (of which there are certainly some) in the context of the TTC Subway.
"Getting around" is kind of broad. If I was going to use a system from out of town, I would very much like to know if taking luggage on board is convenient or if the ride is going to be comfortable.

I was FLOORED when I visited Montreal by Train and realized that the Metro doesn't connect to Gare Centrale. WHAT? It even passes right next to it.
It's not that much worse than the connection than to Union. And at least there weren't any OUTDOOR sections in the connection, unlike Toronto, where you had to walk through the Union Station moat, and could get caught in the rain.

There's a connection right from the south end of Central Station, to a tunnel under De la Gauchetiere (La Passage I think it's called), that has a doorway into 1000 De la Gauchetiere (where the south-shore bus terminal is), which connects directly into Bonaventure Metro. I scribbled a red line below.

Though why they didn't simply connect in that connection into Place Bonaventure, directly into Central Station in the first place, I don't now ...

The biggest challenge of course, is how deep Bonaventure Metro is, as the tunnel is coming from Place Victoria, below the escarpment, and Central Station is above the escarpment (which is why the track enters the platforms under Place Bonaventure on a viaduct in the south, but leaves in a tunnel in the north).

upload_2018-7-9_18-43-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-9_18-43-45.png
    upload_2018-7-9_18-43-45.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,217
I do not have any issues with mobility so the elevators won't apply to me, fortunately. I will be in the downtown core. The furthest I plan on going is to Saint Joseph's Oratory. I won't have any heavy luggage - nothing more than a moderately packed backpack. Is biking around the downtown core a good idea?

That aside, to answer the original question: My tips for getting around the metro and bus network would be to purchase a paper version of the OPUS card. It still works like the plastic version in that you can tap on subway/bus/train, but it's free, unlike the reloadable plastic cards. They are sold at all metro stations and you can also purchase tapcards (paper and plastic) at most dépanneurs (corner stores). You can purchase an unlimited weekend pass (Friday Evening until Monday early morning) for $13.65, a 3 day pass for $18, or a full week pass for ~$27. The entire network has been equipped for OPUS for many years now, so you can use it anywhere in the region.

The bus system is fairly straightforward, and like the TTC's, often acts as a feeder for the métro stations. There are next bus info boards at most of the metro stations and at a few of the bus stops, but usually you will have to exit the métro station and tap on on the bus.

A fun trip I would recommend would be to take the metro to station mont-royal, and transfer to the #11 bus (west/ouest). It travels over Mount Royal/mont-royal. Get off the bus at beaver lake/lac aux castors and follow the signs through to the chalet. The view is amazing :) Then walk way down all the wooden steps until you're downtown. You'll be on Peel St, and you can catch the metro at Peel Station (corner of de Maisonneuve), or just explore from there. Profitez-en!

Thank you. I just arrived in Montreal today (unexpected business trip) and was able to put some of this info to immediate good use.

Personally I find the new AZUR trains to be quite pleasing to the eye, despite not having AC. I've taken the newer U-Bahn trains in Berlin, which also didn't have any ACs and got by just fine in Berlin's hot and humid summers. ACs are nice but I think most Montrealers frankly don't care. The best virtue of the Metro is that all stations are heated properly in the winter when it's consistently -20 outside - probably far more useful to most commuters than having AC cars in the summer.

I also don't understand Toronto's obsession with toilets in subway stations (I read multiple articles on Toronto Star about the lack of toilets on TTC and found the obsession bordering absurd) - what percentage of riders actively seek out bathrooms when taking public transit?

I do not have any issues with mobility so the elevators won't apply to me, fortunately. I will be in the downtown core. The furthest I plan on going is to Saint Joseph's Oratory. I won't have any heavy luggage - nothing more than a moderately packed backpack. Is biking around the downtown core a good idea?

Biking downtown is a fantastic idea. The main protected east - west route through the core is on de Maisonneuve. It does get pretty packed with cyclists during rush hour. There are bixi bike stations all along this route and they should all be full of bikes after commuters drop them into the stations in the morning when heading to work. Conversely, they empty out at about 5pm in the mad bixi rush heading hkme from work, and it gets tricky to find a free bike downtown until they're replenished a couple hours later.

For the oratory, easiest option is to take the green metro line to Guy-Concordia, and then connect to the 165/166 bus heading north. Get off at Queen Mary/Côte-des-Neiges. The other way is to take the metro to station Côte-des-Neiges on the blue line and either walk 5 minutes south along Côte-des-Neiges Avenue or take the 165/166 bus south a few stops south to Queen Mary/Côte-des-Neiges (the bus you want waits at the West exit) . These buses come about every 3-4 minutes off peak.

Back