News   Jul 23, 2024
 537     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 611     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.8K     3 

Virgin America coming to Toronto

If I'm flying a couple of hours to Florida or the carribean or something (or even closer to places like boston, chicago, nyc, etc), then I could care less about comfort and conveniences. I'm just looking for the cheapest flight.

On the other hand, if I'm flying to somewhere like the UK where it's a long flight.. I definitely do weigh in comfort. For example I would never subject myself to cramped air transat seats, even if they were the cheapest....

really? Transat is sometimes half the price of AC to London. You wouldn't want to save 4-500 dollars by being uncomfortable for 7 hours?

Transat is no worse than a greyhound bus, and I did my fair share of 7 hour runs on those.

If you guys want to know just how far I've gone to save money on airfare, when I worked for Porter we were given free flights to Newark when the route first started. I found a glitch in AC's booking system where you didn't have to pay the fuel surcharge if you started your trip in the US. So we flew from YTZ to EWR for free, then EWR to YUL to LHR. On the way back we flew LHR to YYZ. Total cost? $400. It took us around 18 hours to get to LHR, but to save half the price, why not?

There is a broad spectrum of customers out there, but planes are being driven to extremes. First Class is moving to hyper luxury for a smaller crowd and Common Class is moving to cattle steerage. You have a hard time flying a regular plane service for just the upper class as it is more violiate. You aren't maximizing profit margins if you're haulage only.

I hope Virgin America doesn't follow other innovators into the dust.

Back