News   Apr 24, 2024
 537     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 730     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 523     0 

Video shows man calm before being tasered in Vancouver

Here's the Globe's surprisingly excellent editorial.

The taser death of Robert Dziekanski

November 16, 2007

The taser death video that was being broadcast around the world yesterday is a source of shame and disgrace for Canada and for its national police force.

The RCMP can seek to justify police actions all they like. They can argue that the four officers who tasered a Polish man at Vancouver International Airport on Oct. 14 were just following procedures.

They can argue that we don't know for sure his cause of death, and that tasers are safe. They can argue that the video is only one piece of evidence and that people should wait for the results of an inquest before forming their judgments. They can say all of that, but the killing of Robert Dziekanski will be seen only one way: as the summary execution of an innocent man for the crime of being disoriented, for not understanding, for being a stranger.

The video, which was shot by Victoria resident Paul Pritchard, is almost impossible to watch for its tragic inevitability. It's like watching a snuff film. But apart from police, there is some humanity in it. A woman in the video responds in a way the situation called for. She seems to understand that this is a person in distress. She approaches Mr. Dziekanski gently, opening a hand to him. She attempts to communicate with him. A man's voice is also heard on the video trying to calm Mr. Dziekanski saying, "There's nothing wrong ... It's okay." These two citizens were responding as human beings, offering help to someone in need.

At one point, Mr. Dziekanski seems to be organizing chairs to keep an automatic door from closing. At another, he throws something. He's upset. No wonder.

Think about what he had been through that day. He had flown for the first time in his life. He first travelled five hours by bus in Poland and another 10 by plane to reach Vancouver. He arrived in a strange country where no one spoke his language and waited for several hours to meet his mother. She was outside the baggage area, which is secure. He did not realize this, and waited in the secure area for her. He could not make himself understood. After hours of waiting he was clearly frustrated, agitated. Who wouldn't be?

Then the police arrived. Here were four members of ostensibly one of the finest police forces in the world, and what did they do? This is where the video is so critical. Everyone can now see they had a whole range of options.

Did they pause for even a moment to assess the situation? Did they question the civilian witnesses who had been trying to calm and provide aid to the man only moments earlier? Did they gesture for him to calm down? Or sit down? No, they already knew what they were going to do.

This man was not armed. He was in the arrivals lounge of an international airport. There is no place on Earth where police would be less likely to encounter an armed man. Nor, as an autopsy showed, was he drugged or drunk. Nor was he violent; he did not resist police or confront them. He was a man in distress, a man who needed help.

But help was not on offer. The ordinary people who were present left matters to the experts. But these experts, four police officers who were armed with guns and a taser, who were wearing body armour, who were wearing the proud uniform of the Mounties, confronted the lone, upset, lost Polish visitor and immediately tasered him with a 50,000-volt shock.

Mr. Dziekanski collapsed screaming and writhing to the floor. He was not resisting arrest. He was in agony. What did Canada's finest do next? At one point someone yells, "Hit him again." Mr. Dziekanski was tasered at least once more. The four officers piled on the man. One placed his knee on Mr. Dziekanski's neck. Soon the writhing stopped. He was unresponsive. He may already have been dead.

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day yesterday ordered a review of the use of tasers as a result of this outrageous and tragic incident.

He is correct to do so. All that is wrong with tasers is in plain view in this video. The officers didn't attempt any interaction with the man. They didn't try to negotiate. They didn't make calming gestures. They didn't have to. They had their tasers with them, and lost their humanity.

Tasers were never intended to be an alternative to those values the RCMP cite in their published "commitment to communities," values such as "compassion" and "respect." They were meant to be an alternative to the use of firearms, and live ammunition would never have been justified - indeed, would never have been used - in this situation. To have done so would have been viewed as an extrajudicial killing. How is the use of a taser in this case really any different?

actually i think your referring to a almighty public avenger rather then God.

come on Capital G on God... !!! :mad:

beautiful! some friends of mine prefer "gawd", everyone knows god spelled backwards is just dog... be kind to your pets!

yes, this latest article really sums it all up quite well. Unfortunately there is no turning back the clocks... I feel personally ashamed by what happened in "my country".

Really all of us are not much more than animals... civilization is a thin veil easily tossed aside in times of crisis. The anarchy and violence we see in other countries can easily be repeated here, just try turning off the electricity or fuel supply for a few weeks. :(

I think the main problem is not the tasers themselves (no weapon of any kind was needed to be used in the first place), but the fact that police as whole always support the wrongdoing of their officers, and actively try to deceive the public. Yes, only 4 of the officers here are murderers, but they might as well all be if they support these 4.

Airports can be really tense environments that could push a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach - particularly with a device like a taser where there is a very low death rate (from what I hear there have been over 700,000 recorded uses).

Think about what he had been through that day. He had flown for the first time in his life. He first travelled five hours by bus in Poland and another 10 by plane to reach Vancouver. He arrived in a strange country where no one spoke his language and waited for several hours to meet his mother. She was outside the baggage area, which is secure. He did not realize this, and waited in the secure area for her. He could not make himself understood. After hours of waiting he was clearly frustrated, agitated. Who wouldn't be?

While the man was frustrated, resorting to the actions that he carried out went a long way in generating more confusion. Airport employees report a man who is "freaking out" in a secure zone at an airport where little disturbance is tolerated these days, and police deal with the situation by employing a rapid means of subduing such a person. I don't see a crime; I see a tragedy.

Airports can be really tense environments that could push a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach - particularly with a device like a taser where there is a very low death rate (from what I hear there have been over 700,000 recorded uses).

They come in, they see a confused man; he thinks they're here to help him. He does NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to provoke a taser shot. If that's the first response the RCMP has in a situation where a man is clearly unarmed, we've got a PROBLEM. The fact that it happened in an airport is absolutely no excuse, especially since he was in a secured area. It's not like this guy was trying to run through a gate, and there was no chance that he had a weapon on him of any kind. Even if the taser has NEVER killed anyone, it would still be excessive and inappropriate use of force.

While the man was frustrated, resorting to the actions that he carried out went a long way in generating more confusion. Airport employees report a man who is "freaking out" in a secure zone at an airport where little disturbance is tolerated these days, and police deal with the situation by employing a rapid means of subduing such a person. I don't see a crime; I see a tragedy.

So, wait. A man is confused... he's incredibly frustrated that nobody can understand him. He's relieved that police comes, but they don't do anything. And then he gives a clear gesture that he's 'giving up,' but makes no threatening moves whatsoever. And that warrants a 'rapid means of subduing such a person?' And that's appropriate? Are you a member of the RCMP, per chance?

Not only do I see a crime, but I am baffled how anyone would consider a taser appropriate in this situation. Is it standard procedure that any time police encounters a man confused and frustrated -- but obviously not violent -- that they taser him?

It's a tragedy alright, but also a crime, and I'm hoping Poland pushes hard to get these clowns charged.

The fact that it happened in an airport is absolutely no excuse, especially since he was in a secured area. It's not like this guy was trying to run through a gate, and there was no chance that he had a weapon on him of any kind.

So, wait. A man is confused... he's incredibly frustrated that nobody can understand him. He's relieved that police comes, but they don't do anything. And then he gives a clear gesture that he's 'giving up,' but makes no threatening moves whatsoever. And that warrants a 'rapid means of subduing such a person?' And that's appropriate? Are you a member of the RCMP, per chance?

Not only do I see a crime, but I am baffled how anyone would consider a taser appropriate in this situation. Is it standard procedure that any time police encounters a man confused and frustrated -- but obviously not violent -- that they taser him?

The fact that the man was in a secured area probably made a very big difference in how things transpired. The fact that people called the police because they felt threatened by the actions of this individual very likely contributed to the way the police conducted themselves. And please note, I am not applauding the police actions; but I'm going to wait for the investigation to be carried out.

Anybody who uses an airport these days faces some level of frustration. Throwing chairs, smashing computers and wielding a table and yelling does not help the situation. Adults are not supposed to conduct themselves in such a manner, and I doubt this is typical in Poland anymore than it is here. In an airport secure zone this type of conduct will only get you arrested.

Are you a member of the RCMP, per chance?

No, but I have been stuck in airports in other countries for many hours on end with people of many different nationalities, and nobody resorted to smashing things to get attention. No doubt such actions will get attention, but usually not the kind desired.

The fact that the man was in a secured area probably made a very big difference in how things transpired. The fact that people called the police because they felt threatened by the actions of this individual very likely contributed to the way the police conducted themselves. And please note, I am not applauding the police actions; but I'm going to wait for the investigation to be carried out.

Well, we don't know if they felt threatened. In fact, people tried to help the man. And they, and I'm sure he, thought the RCMP would help him, not taser him within seconds of getting there.

The investigation will likely be the usual whitewash--it's not the first time or the last time this has happened, and it's interesting how it's never the fault of the RCMP. Hopefully not, though; the video is some of the most damning evidence of police misconduct since Rodney King (and even in THAT case the police managed to walk).

Anybody who uses an airport these days faces some level of frustration. Throwing chairs, smashing computers and wielding a table and yelling does not help the situation. Adults are not supposed to conduct themselves in such a manner, and I doubt this is typical in Poland anymore than it is here. In an airport secure zone this type of conduct will only get you arrested.

Some facts:

he was in the airport for 10 hours; the airport had no interpreter or indeed anyone help him. First time on a plane, in a completely foreign country, and nobody there who can understand him or help him... After 10 hours, I'm sure he's not the only one that would lose it.

No, but I have been stuck in airports in other countries for many hours on end with people of many different nationalities, and nobody resorted to smashing things to get attention. No doubt such actions will get attention, but usually not the kind desired.

When the RCMP came in, it is clear that he was completely calm; there was absolutely no violent behavior whatsoever. Let's say I cause a disturbance--but I calm down in the mean time. The police comes... and without any provocation on my part whatsoever, they have a right to taser me???

There are two issues here:

1. The responses of the RCMP on that day, vis-a-vis use of force and the subsequent death of the individual. AND

2. The responses from the RCMP with regards to the case, the video, and subsequent information made available that either directly contradicts the RCMP position and/or cast serious doubt on the accuracy of their news releases.

#2 bothers me a lot more than #1 - as unfortunate as it is - as the former suggest institutional problems that are downright criminal in nature, with far greater involvement by various members of the force and/or government decision makers.

AoD

Well, we don't know if they felt threatened. In fact, people tried to help the man. And they, and I'm sure he, thought the RCMP would help him, not taser him within seconds of getting there.

The investigation will likely be the usual whitewash--it's not the first time or the last time this has happened, and it's interesting how it's never the fault of the RCMP.

Some facts:

he was in the airport for 10 hours; the airport had no interpreter or indeed anyone help him. First time on a plane, in a completely foreign country, and nobody there who can understand him or help him... After 10 hours, I'm sure he's not the only one that would lose it.

When the RCMP came in, it is clear that he was completely calm; there was absolutely no violent behavior whatsoever. Let's say I cause a disturbance--but I calm down in the mean time. The police comes... and without any provocation on my part whatsoever, they have a right to taser me???

If they didn't feel threatened, why did they call the police? Why did none of the security people on the video step in? Why were the bystanders at a distance?

As you have already made up your mind that any investigation will be a "white-wash" of course you need not keep an open mind any longer. The fact of the matter is that, had the man not died, this event would not have been a news story. Could you stretch your imagination for a moment and maybe think that the RCMP had no intention of killing the guy, but were arresting him - because of how he was conducting himself within a security area or an airport?

Yes, he was in an airport for ten hours. Who knows what went on behind the scenes for that time period. Other than the annoyance of having to wait for that long a period, there were no doubt other ways he could have gotten some attention other than the way that he did. As I said earlier, it is tragic that he died, but sadly he brought the arrest on himself by way of his conduct. There are better ways of getting attention than the ones he chose to use.

Concerning your last paragraph, yes, the police have a right to arrest you if you start trashing computers, wielding tables and so forth - particularly in the security areas of an airport. Did the police react too quickly with the taser? That's going to be the focus of the investigation (the one you've already deemed to be a white-wash).

The video was definitely important in bringing this disturbing and arguably criminal act to the surface. I'd like to add that the Vancouver Airport ought to share some of the blame. They failed the mother, did not attempt to talk to Robert who was in the same area for so many hours, and ultimately had no translator. Without their negligence though, the RCMP's lack of procedure would not have been tragically exposed. And the fact that Paul Pritchard had to get a court order to get the tape back is even worse. I'm surprised they didn't bother to edit the bad stuff out.

That the airport is a tense place is no excuse to ignore fundamental human rights. I anticipate the results of the several investigations.

I mean, it's Polish. It's not like this is some obscure Basque dialect here. Couldn't they have checked his ticket to see that he came from Warsaw? If that didn't work, the people thought he was Russian. Couldn't they have gotten a Russian translator after all those hours? The translator would have instantly recognized that he was speaking Polish. Couldn't they have just called over the PA, "Anybody who speaks Russian please pick up the white courtesy phone?"

Indeed unimaginative. Plus they're in the airport - I can't think of anywhere else that is more equipped to deal with international travellers speaking various languages.

AoD

^ you'd think...

But as I've said above, when my aunt and uncle came to Pearson two years ago, they were shoved into a room -- very unpleasantly -- and waited there for half an hour; no interpreter came, but they managed to communicate with gestures and few words when someone from the immigration department came. And this was GERMAN, hardly a dialect of the Gnombi tribe.

Back