1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Victory/Standard theatre - 285 Spadina - proposed restoration

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Veteran Toronto club owner Rony Hitti has signed a 20 year lease on the theatre building and committed $10,000,000 to a reno/restoration.

Suggestion is bringing back an actual theatre/concert space for 1,000 plus 2 on-site restos seating another 400.

Some of his ideas would mess w/the history of the place while others would bring it back, what actually comes to fruition is TBD.

BlogTo article here: https://www.blogto.com/music/2018/12/old-burlesque-theatre-torontos-chinatown-reopen-nightclub/

There's also another article behind the Globe and Mail paywall, here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...tor-looks-to-reopen-torontos-chinatown-based/

Exterior Image existing theatre - credit BlogTO

Screenshot_2018-12-12 Old theatre in Toronto's Chinatown to reopen as food and entertainment v...png

Historical Exterior: Credit BlogTO

1544636380-20181212-victory-tender.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.jpg

Last edited:
Would be something if they could install a marquee and similar theatre signage. I'm a sucker for classic urban detailing like that.

I had a quick glimpse once of what appeared to be the old stairwell from that Spadina main entrance when they had it exposed during random retail renovation work done at some point.

1544672107859.png

I'm so glad this is happening here.Perhaps this is the beginning of a makeover of Spadina? Having said that I'm hopeful that the 'character of Spadina will endure. The neighbourhood and housing stock east of Spadina and north of Dundas is some of the most impressive but deteriorating and a little shabby in Toronto. Are there any vintage interior photographs?

the residential stuff between Spadina and University is so run down but also so close to the core and has great bones.. it always made me wonder why it was like that.

I'm so glad this is happening here.Perhaps this is the beginning of a makeover of Spadina? Having said that I'm hopeful that the 'character of Spadina will endure. The neighbourhood and housing stock east of Spadina and north of Dundas is some of the most impressive but deteriorating and a little shabby in Toronto. Are there any vintage interior photographs?

Yes, there's several photos available here of the interior:

https://tayloronhistory.com/tag/victory-burlesque-theatre-toronto/

Yes, well, ahem ... a half century ago or thereabouts the freshmen of one of the. colleges of the University of Toronto were taken as a group to the Victory during orientation week. The manager of the theatre, who could have been wonderfully portrayed by Rodney Dangerfield, spoke to the group before we were allowed to enter, delivering what was obviously a frequently repeated speech.

“I want you to behave like gentlemen and show some respect in there. Show some respect for yourselves, for the other patrons and, above all, for the artistes.
No peashooters!
Now go in there and get some culture!”

There were three “artistes”. The headliner displayed considerable and impressive dexterity with a pair of tassels, but was probably nearing grandmother age, as I recall. Between the acts, a comedian MC did his best to entertain the audience. I fear the “gentlemen” drowned out his rather pitiful efforts with group chants of
“Culture, culture! We want culture.”

More relevant to the interests of this board, the theatre itself had impressive bones and good sight lines, important for its purpose after all. But it was grotty and run down, needing major refurbishing. I hope it can be restored.

Forgive, if you will, the memories of foolish youth and the embarrassing truth that I recall them with more amusement than shame.

Last edited:
Here's a recent interior photo from the paywalled G&M article:
View attachment 167124

Excellent contribution! Thank You!

I am wowed that it appears to be in such good shape.

The shot may be deceiving but is that the old upper level only, or the entire theatre portion?

Regardless, nice to see the finishes are well within the restorable range.

I had (wrongly) assumed it would have been in far worse shape given that it hasn't seen use as a theatre in decades.

Last edited:
the residential stuff between Spadina and University is so run down but also so close to the core and has great bones.. it always made me wonder why it was like that.

The high proportion of rental properties where the landlord is absent from direct involvement in care and maintenance could be a major reason for this. I'd estimate that for the area roughly bounded by Spadina to McCaul, and Queen to College, close to 70% of the old Victorian stock are primarily rental usage. I'd reckon there would be similar numbers if also expanded to the residential parts of Kensington Market. From experience of people I've known through family, often the landlords are elderly who live elsewhere and have held on to the buildings for a couple generations now.

Last edited:
yes, that was my understanding too. I guess i'm just surprised that more of them haven't sold to higher bidders over the last two decades who then renovate and move in. The grouping of houses on McGill & Granby streets have really moved upmarket over the last two decades, and they are a sort of similar analogue of a quiet residential neighborhood close to the core.

I was told, the auditorium remains. But the stage house and fly tower where bricked up and used as storage.
I always wondered if the stage is still there?
does anybody have any information on this.

Back