News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 673     0 

VIA Rail

If only they just used this hydro corridor
1659196375239.png

If only they just used this hydro corridor View attachment 417030
Hydro corridors don't necessarily make good rail corridors, especially when they go over the Canadian Shield. They go over extremely rough and difficult terrain that would present major challenges for a rail line. Cliffs, frequent water crossings, etc.

The quandry is whether to build at lowest cost and fastest implementation, or take more time and build to higher performance at greater expense and time to completion.

Personally I'm much more interested in capturing modal share from the highways than from air travel. That does not require air-competitive speeds, and can enable a much greater emphasis on having regional trains in the mix. One can reduce GTA highway congestion by removing the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal autos, or by removing an equal number of Toronto to Oshawa/Newcastle/Port Hope/Cobourg/Belleville/Kingston drivers. Or some of each. Adding road capacity is the ultimate high-cost wrong-direction strategy that we most need to prevent.

The airport authorities will tell us when it's time to build a high-end virtual air service between T-O-M that has a viable business case to compete with air on time and price (and freeing up runway/gate slots for other things). That may imply a new threshold for routing and speed (and therefore cost to build) that is beyond the HFR envelope. Avoiding the need for new incremental investment in air is a priority, and is more important than winning away existing air passenger ridership - for now. So attracting air travellers need not exceed the rate of growth in that sector, until the airports need the gates.

But we've circled through all this before. I wish Ottawa would get shovels in the ground so that we have something to make use of, instead of debating the different types of services that we don't have.

- Paul

Last edited:
Forget the truth? It even arrived early on occasion . Sure, late too ... but 4:10 is far better than before.

The only reason to forget it, is to cover up political promises that it will be faster with "HFR".

It could be run today with changes to the regulatory environment - more frequently than it was run historically!
Historical awareness is beneficial if it goes beyond “trains used to take less than 4 hours between Toronto and Montreal”, but becomes a liability when it omits the parts where sub-4h travel times were only achieved by a single daily token Express train during one single month in 1967 and again for two periods in the 1990s and 2000s. Which was exactly what I already explained to you 3 years ago:

Don't worry, it never really happened:
View attachment 192603
View attachment 192604
View attachment 192730
Source: "The Railway Game" by Julius Lukasiewicz (1976, pp. 151-153)

I was considering to crop away the "Turbo Train" section when posting the April 1967 schedule, but just to make the point for how representative that schedule is: the travel time of 3:59 lasted no longer than the first deployment of the Turbo Train (one month) and was subsequently increased to 4:05 (second deployment in May 1970), 4:10 (third and final deployment in 1973) and 4:30 in 1977 (when VIA took over) before the Turbo Train was replaced with an LRC train of the same timing (oh, yes, and it never operated at more than 30-60% of the originally promised service level of 20 departures per week):
View attachment 192762
Compiled from: official CN and VIA Rail timetables

And just to make a final point about Wikipedia, you really don't need to buy an obscure forty year old book on eBay to get a pretty decent recollection of what happened:

[extensive quote from Wikipedia omitted]

Indeed, the only period where 3:59 was sustained for more than a few months was one train (the 5pm departure called "Metropolis" when VIA corridor trains had names) from October 1992 to May 1999 and again from May 2000 to May 2005:
View attachment 192764
Compiled from: official CN and VIA Rail timetables

I think we can guarantee that's not on the table. I don't mean to be facetious, but I don't think that the budget is there to do anything more than use the existing alignments, with the most simple of changes.
The travel times implied by the RFEOI are so aggressive that they won’t be possible without substantial realignments and large stretches of grade separations (580 km divided by 4h13 equals an average speed of 138 km/h or 78% of 177 km/h, i.e. the legal barrier of sound for operating with at-grade crossings. Either ambitions will have to be scaled down or the scope will creep up drastically and escalate capital costs towards HSR territory.

In Toronto we now know that they've sacrificed a very good, straight, dedicated alignment up the Don Valley in favour of running between every 15-minute GO Trains on the Stouffville line, and building a new curve just north of Agincourt station to the CP line - presumably grade separated. I guess that saves them the cost of upgrading the viaduct over the Don, and a grade separation with the CP mainline. But now they have to share with slow GO trains running every 15-minutes off-peak? And I'm only assuming they are going to grade-separate the curve. On the other hand it does create the opportunity for VIA/TTC/GO transfers at various subway stations, like Agincourt, Kennedy, and even Danforth. (I'd think East Harbour is too close to Union to be considered).
Just two questions to anyone familiar with rail transit in Toronto:
1) At how many stations do Stouffville trains currently stop between the intersection of Uxbridge (ML) and Belleville (CP) Subdivisions and Union Station?
2) At which GO station will three different rail transit lines meet by the end of this year?

If only they just used this hydro corridor View attachment 417030
Utility corridors often look a lot better from above. They are able to handle changes in vertical elevation better than any transportation corridor could, can often traverse water and wetlands with a few piles (or none at all if they simply choose to span it via greater elevation) and can cross private property, like farmland, by using easements and still leave the majority of the land in production.

I thought that hydro corridor might work well for the Hyperloop if, you know, that were an actual thing.

Hyperloops, for people rather than cargo, will need to be extraordinarily straight (10km curve radius at the minimum > 500km/h). Hydro corridors often have very tight turns both horizontal and vertical. Also, falling electrical lines on a conductive metal tube may cause issues.

In fact, they should be call Hyper-lines because the curve for a loop is large enough nobody will ever build one in an actual loop; they'll build 2 adjacent lines instead with some non-trivial mechanism for turning cars around.

Last edited:
Historical awareness is beneficial if it goes beyond “trains used to take less than 4 hours between Toronto and Montreal”, but becomes a liability when it omits the parts where sub-4h travel times were only achieved by a single daily token Express train during one single month in 1967 and again for two periods in the 1990s and 2000s. Which was exactly what I already explained to you 3 years ago:
I know the schedule - I very regularly used the train during the 1980s (when 4.5 hours was achievable) and the 1990s, and am well aware that less than 4 hours was achieved relatively recently for the best part of two decades around the turn of the century. Travelling nowadays seems like a step back in many ways.

What can be done in the past can be done again, with relatively cheap regulatory changes. If they can run one train under 4 hours a day, they can run 10 under 4 hours with proper regulation of CN and relatively less significant infrastructure improvement, such as longer sidings, and stretches of third track.

I also mentioned 3 years ago, that it seems unlikely that they can achieve under 4 hours with the HFR route - let alone improve on it - and playing with GO trains all the way from Toronto to Agincourt is only going to make things worse.

The travel times implied by the RFEOI are so aggressive that they won’t be possible without substantial realignments and large stretches of grade separations (580 km divided by 4h13 equals an average speed of 138 km/h or 78% of 177 km/h, i.e. the legal barrier of sound for operating with at-grade crossings. Either ambitions will have to be scaled down or the scope will creep up drastically and escalate capital costs towards HSR territory.
If they have the project well defined, for achieving, say, a 4-hour run time from Toronto to Montreal, then scope creep shouldn't be too significant. I think "ambitions scaled down" is going to be the keywords for this project. And we've already seen this with the time-losing alignment change in Toronto - where perhaps the biggest issue isn't the slightly longer route - but being stuck behind GO trains - particularly from St. Clair to Sheppard where there's only going to be two tracks. In Montreal, the decision not to have VIA use the tunnel will result in Montreal to Quebec City trains backtracking all the way to Lachine (or have they found a way to get onto the Adirondack subdivision - which would still take them through CSL.

2) At which GO station will three different rail transit lines meet by the end of this year?
There's been 3 meeting there at Kennedy for years. The Line 5 opening has though been delayed until next year; it's not clear whether that happens before of after the permanent closure of Line 3 in fall 2023. Line 7 will also likely terminate there, but that could easily be mid 2030s or later (if ever) the way the city is dragging their feet.

So yes, a VIA stop at Kennedy is in some-ways a no-brainer - at least from a transit perspective. BUT, it's not really comparable to suburban stops like Oshawa, Oakville, and Dorval - which primarily cater to automobiles and not transit.

Agincourt is the first location the line intersects a major highway - though it's ugly traffic around there already; but there'd be a subway station there. I'm not sure anything else makes sense until Locust Hill station.

I'm not sure there's any really great car-accessible locations. So no doubt it would be Kennedy if HFR or a Peterborough service is done.

Utility corridors often look a lot better from above. They are able to handle changes in vertical elevation better than any transportation corridor could, can often traverse water and wetlands with a few piles (or none at all if they simply choose to span it via greater elevation) and can cross private property, like farmland, by using easements and still leave the majority of the land in production.
We can't build elevated HSR like a real country!

It is possible to make the route VIA has selected work, it's just going to take a huge amount of work to make it world class. (i.e., it's not happening)

It is possible to make the route VIA has selected work, it's just going to take a huge amount of work to make it world class. (i.e., it's not happening)

Wow - I hadn't seen that. I suggested year ago that someone had sold VIA a dud plan. But the numbers in there make it very clear that it's just not possible with 100+ km of new alignment.

So who is pushing HFR (F must stand for Farce)? Follow the money is the normal way to figure these things out. Which consultant is making the $ off this? Though consultants will make money off any route, and could just as well be pushing VIA Fast. Still - something seems very amiss. It seems like the fiscally disastrous planning for the Metro extension to Laval all over again.

Wow - I hadn't seen that. I suggested year ago that someone had sold VIA a dud plan. But the numbers in there make it very clear that it's just not possible with 100+ km of new alignment.

So who is pushing HFR (F must stand for Farce)? Follow the money is the normal way to figure these things out. Which consultant is making the $ off this? Though consultants will make money off any route, and could just as well be pushing VIA Fast. Still - something seems very amiss. It seems like the fiscally disastrous planning for the Metro extension to Laval all over again.
Purely political. Oh, I'm sure the consultants would love to plan out a proper route, and I would gladly let them. It's our politicians who can't commit to a real high speed line.

Purely political. Oh, I'm sure the consultants would love to plan out a proper route, and I would gladly let them. It's our politicians who can't commit to a real high speed line.
Transportation consultants in North America have a pretty poor reputation as far as doing things cost efficiently and fast (see California HSR, for example). They have an interest in dragging out projects and endless redesigns, not prompt execution.

Transportation consultants in North America have a pretty poor reputation as far as doing things cost efficiently and fast (see California HSR, for example). They have an interest in dragging out projects and endless redesigns, not prompt execution.

There is a pretty big difference between California HSR and Via HFR. Even if the consultants are making a muck of it, at least the project itself is world class. I would gladly swap!

Have you ever bid on a multi billion dollar project? A project of this scale is almost impossible to accurately price out.

Unless you do what Metrolinx did and price it with no cost overruns. At that point you have established a ceiling of some sort but at the same time the approval is going to be almost impossible.

How do you account for covid and the highest inflation in history not to mention supply chain issues all at the same time?

Back