News   Apr 18, 2024
 178     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 501     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

VIA Rail

An aside: why are some of the choices for stations in southern ontario so ransom for via. Ingersoll with a population of 12.7K gets a station , but tourist destination Paris (12.4 K population ) doesn't have one. New hamburg is another large town with no station. why does Wyoming get a stop while Watford doesn't when they are just about the same size. My hot take is if via is not time-competitive anyways, why not just serve these towns which often don't have any other connections despite being on the mainlines
Add Brighton to that list. Trenton and port Hope hardly see any trains.

An aside: why are some of the choices for stations in southern ontario so ransom for via. Ingersoll with a population of 12.7K gets a station , but tourist destination Paris (12.4 K population ) doesn't have one. New hamburg is another large town with no station. why does Wyoming get a stop while Watford doesn't when they are just about the same size. My hot take is if via is not time-competitive anyways, why not just serve these towns which often don't have any other connections despite being on the mainlines
We’ve already discussed this back in January, but it is worth noting that Paris was closed by CN approximately 10 years before VIA took over and that Paris&Brantford would be the second-closest Corridor stations (after Cobourg&Port Hope) without any suburban context:
The stop in Paris (last served by only one train pair per day: SARN@06:30=>Paris@08:34=>TRTO@09:59, TRTO@19:10=>Paris@20:41=>WDON@23:35 and Sundays also: WDON@18:00=>Paris@21:00=>TRTO@22:40) indeed disappeared with the April 1968 schedule.

In terms of distance between two subsequent stations along VIA's Corridor services, Cobourg & Port Hope is the only station pair between non-suburban stations which is closer than Brantford and Paris would be:

#10: BLVL-TRNJ: 12.1 miles (19.5 km)
#9: MTRL-DORV: 11.5 miles (18.5 km)
#8: OTTW-FALL: 9.5 miles (15.3 km)

#7: WDST-INGR: 9.4 miles (15.1 km)
#6: BRMP-GEOG: 8.1 miles (13.0 km)
#5: BRTF-Paris: 7.2 miles (11.6 km)
#4: CBRG-PHOP: 6.7 miles (10.8 km)
#3: MALT-BRMP: 6.0 miles (9.7 km)
#2: SLAM-MTRL: 3.8 miles (6.1 km)
#1: SFOY-CHNY: 3.2 miles (5.2 km)

Note: station pairs in italics may be considered as suburban (i.e. within the same CMA)

As I've shown in this short operational history last month, the respective VIA stations in Hamilton, Dundas and Burlington were consolidated in May 1992 into one new station (newly opened and operated by GO) in Aldershot...
Another consideration might be that unless you place platforms at all mainline tracks, CN will likely want to wrestle with you over every single stop at such a station…

What would it take to fix the slow orders between Moncton and Cambellton? Is it just poor maintenance on CN's part?

I don’t know, but just to highlight why it would be unrealistic to expect VIA to buy the line: Total “direct revenues” on the Ocean were $10.8 million in 2018, i.e. a quarter of the expense which CN invests this year in a small part of the infrastructure that train uses…

Some of the reasons are historic, as Urban Sky has laid out.

But some are just due to plain-old ridership. Watford did have service until about 20 years ago, but ridership was so low that it was removed as a stop. Wyoming conversely did have enough ridership to maintain its status.

A lot of it is contextual, too. A lot of the people taking the train to/from Ingersoll are doing so to and from London. Paris being further away likely has a lower threshold of ridership from London, as well as being fairly far from Toronto as well.

Dan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220630-132140.png
    Screenshot_20220630-132140.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 44
Maybe I’m just a very hasty reader, but I fail to see any reference to privatization in what you quoted. So why don’t you just take the 30 seconds and expain what you meant rather than providing unhelpful 3-word answers?
This person claims that they retiring the LRC's early as an excuse not to restore service and to help privatize VIA.

Other people on this and other boards have made similar comments about the privatization of VIA in the corridor.

Considering we don't really know how that's going to pan out, I don't see where these assumptions are coming from.

Is there any basis to the claim the LRC fleet is being "prematurely" scrapped?
Prematurely?

I'd think it more likely there'll be a coroner's inquest one day that would conclude the opposite.

Obviously with the new train sets already being delivered, this isn't about privatization.

Prematurely?

I'd think it more likely there'll be a coroner's inquest one day that would conclude the opposite.

Obviously with the new train sets already being delivered, this isn't about privatization.
Is there no way to put that first train into service now? Has it officially been accepted by VIA?

Haven't seen it in a while. Is it going through some tweeks?
I haven't seen any photos of the second trainset, anyone know if it is completed?

Back