News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 721     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

VIA Rail

While that is certainly true; I'd venture to say we can make systems that are a great deal less fallible than the one's we have (see PTC for a start); and we really ought to get around to using them.

This is true in many more fields than railways.

If we ran the world in accordance with existing best practices/technology, we could drastically cut disease, medical errors, traffic accidents, railway accidents, pollution, poverty, do all of that and more, for, in most cases the same or less in operating dollars once the changes are fully delivered (its the one-time cost of change that is the most common impediment)

Is the Kingston Sub closed? Are they routing Montreal trains through Ottawa?

How in the world does a collision like this happen in this day and age?
Because no system made by humans is infallible.
Because North America's rail safety culture is focussed on crash mitigation (hence the over-reliance on crashworthiness standards), whereas in Europe and Asia, the focus is on crash avoidance (with an almost universal application of automatic train protection signalling systems)...

Because North America's rail safety culture is focussed on crash mitigation (hence the over-reliance on crashworthiness standards), whereas in Europe and Asia, the focus is on crash avoidance (with an almost universal application of automatic train protection signalling systems)...
Looks like both tracks on the main line are destroyed.

Looks like both tracks on the main line are destroyed.

I'll just bring that pic forward for everyone.

Note that credit is embedded in the image:

1630679899848.png

The thing is there is value in doing both. You can never underestimate the ability of idiots to find a way around idiot proof systems, and other factors can come into play that will create situations that are nearly impossible to avoid. Having said that, it is always best to avoid the incident in the first place if at all possible.

The fact that the crew on both trains survived with only 1 person suffering minor injuries is certainly amazing.

The thing is there is value in doing both. You can never underestimate the ability of idiots to find a way around idiot proof systems, and other factors can come into play that will create situations that are nearly impossible to avoid. Having said that, it is always best to avoid the incident in the first place if at all possible.

The fact that the crew on both trains survived with only 1 person suffering minor injuries is certainly amazing.
Looks like there is a siding there, so either that train disobeyed the signal or the train on the main misses the red signal.

Looks like there is a siding there, so either that train disobeyed the signal or the train on the main misses the red signal.
The list of possible rood causes are a bit more complicated than that, and since we spectators aren’t the investigators we should not be speculating, and most certainly not alleging error by either crew.

- Paul

Is the Kingston Sub closed? Are they routing Montreal trains through Ottawa?
I see that VIA is diverting via Ottawa, but what is CN doing with its trains? Running via CP? Or are they also clogging up the single-track line through Ottawa?

Running via CP, nonstop trains on the mid Toronto line.
I'm never sure when sarcasm begins, but just in case this is to be read literally... I'm not aware that there were any detour trains. CN simply held everything until the line reopened. Then, there was a flurry of catchup.

While this wreck was serious in many respects, it did not take very much trackage out of service for all that long. Amazing what a couple bulldozers can do once the investigators release the site.

- Paul

I'm never sure when sarcasm begins, but just in case this is to be read literally... I'm not aware that there were any detour trains. CN simply held everything until the line reopened. Then, there was a flurry of catchup.

While this wreck was serious in many respects, it did not take very much trackage out of service for all that long. Amazing what a couple bulldozers can do once the investigators release the site.

- Paul
You don't consider two/three days to restore service a long time?

Back