News   May 03, 2024
 180     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 535     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

VIA Rail

CP took over quite a bit of CN’s track in Peterborough in 1990 when CN abandoned Uxbridge to Peterborough (the last major customer, in Lindsay, was closing around that time) but since then, most customers closed or switched to trucks.

All the ex-CN spurs in Peterborough were eventually removed by CP (many of which are now trails), with only Quaker Oats left as a customer of any significance. I’m not even sure if they still get rail deliveries anymore.

This article from June of this year discusses the rebuilding of the train shed and mentions that it is still used to unload rail cars (although the photo shows a truck). I have been told that the amount of grain they receive by rail seasonally fluctuates to accommodate local farmers.

All the ex-CN spurs in Peterborough were eventually removed by CP (many of which are now trails), with only Quaker Oats left as a customer of any significance. I’m not even sure if they still get rail deliveries anymore.
I had been told by a local railfan up there that Quaker stopped receiving rail cars early last year. I don't know if that was due to a change in their operations or related to the issues at the unloading facility at the plant, however.

The only industries that actually receive cars at this point are the mines. There may be a team track or two along the line that is still active, but they likely haven't seen service in 20 years.

Dan

München S-Bahn operates at headways of 2 minutes with LZB (i.e. the legacy moving-block* train control system also used by all HSR trains in Germany) and a train which doesn't stop can be fitted into a smaller gap than one which stops (because it doesn't require any dwell time). But even if we assume that the absence of dwell time is offset by longer train length and lower acceleration capabilities, you could fit an intercity train into any 3 minute gap by simply delaying the following train by no more than 60 seconds. Given the OTP challenges under which the S-Bahnen in Munich operate (many corridors are actually shared with other traffic), this is hardly problematic.

If REM and VIA won't share tracks, it will not be a consequence of operational issues, but of design choices which not only make such track sharing all but inpossible, but also impede it from unlocking even remotely the capacity which the Stammstrecken in Frankfurt or Munich have. Just look up the capacity of a DB BR 423, triple it (because they operate in triples during rush hour) and compare it with the pathetic capacity of the REM's matchboxes. Using light metros (i.e. a high-cost-low-capacity transportation mode optimized for people movers at airports) for rapid transit (i.e. an application where capacity is much more important than the ultra-high frequencies enabled by autonomous operation) is like trying to make a pig fly...

*it actually uses fixed blocks, but with a block length of only 100 meters and the use of virtual signals, it acts like a moving-block system.

One more thing: Frankfurt S-Bahn operates at 24 tph (i.e. more frequent than 180 second headways) with PZB, i.e. Germany's regular fixed-block train control system which is also used on Ottawa's Trillium line. The comparison of Frankfurt and Munich suggests that switching from a train control system first deployed in the 1930s to one from the 1960s is already sufficient to shrink headways from 150 to 120 seconds...

Last edited:
Found this interesting take on passenger rail in Canada including HFR:

Wondering what everyone thinks about it.
Somebody hasn't looked at how much ridership there is between Toronto and Ottawa and is simply going off conventional wisdom about most people going between Toronto and Montreal.

Also, the routing through Ottawa, adds about 10% more distance give or take. A better designed system should be competitive.

Somebody hasn't looked at how much ridership there is between Toronto and Ottawa and is simply going off conventional wisdom about most people going between Toronto and Montreal.
I just stumbled over this table while skimming through Deliverable 7 (Demand Forecasting) of the Ecotrain Study today:
20210829_165949.jpg

Last edited:
One of the other parts of the video that interested me was the take on the Senneterre train. It does have a high subsidy and low ridership, but I find it interesting that it survived the 1990s cuts.
"Remote Services" were the only one of VIA's historically five service categories which survived the 1990 cuts untouched:

Because whether a service crosses an interprovincial border or not is thankfully irrelevant to VIA’s mandate, which historically comprised five different categories:
  1. Corridor services
  2. Transcontinental services
  3. Regional services
  4. Remote services
  5. Tourism services

Refer to this categorization of VIA’s services in 1988:
8owrGkv.png

Source: Canadian Railroad Historical Association (1989, p.206)

It also puzzles me how you can create a map like this without realizing that allowing Montrealers to travel to Senneterre might not be the reason why taxpayers fund that service:
Screenshot_20210829-150310_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
A new expanded Corridor schedule is taking effect today and is discussed extensively by Transport Action Canada and on groups.io:

Let me explain why VIA and a single Exo line were kicked off the DM/Mont Royal tunnel in favour of a politically unaccountable transit solution by throwing up a superthread of maps positing an Exo-RER which is nothing to do with VIA.

I can understand why Exo was forced to stand still for this and not protect its own interest (wherein it now has a bunch of electric and DM stock which it can't use for its intended purpose). Does anyone know why VIA did?

Let me explain why VIA and a single Exo line were kicked off the DM/Mont Royal tunnel in favour of a politically unaccountable transit solution by throwing up a superthread of maps positing an Exo-RER which is nothing to do with VIA.
By politically unaccountable transit solution, you mean a transit infrastructure plan that for once doesn't let local politicians make arbitrary changes every 2 days, a transit plan that actually gets built on time? If that's what politically unaccountable means, I'll take it every time over a politically "accountable" plan.

I can understand why Exo was forced to stand still for this and not protect its own interest (wherein it now has a bunch of electric and DM stock which it can't use for its intended purpose). Does anyone know why VIA did?
There are many more examples than just this tunnel of VIA sitting around while infra it could have used is impacted. Perhaps the issue is VIA's management isn't fighting these battles?

There are many more examples than just this tunnel of VIA sitting around while infra it could have used is impacted. Perhaps the issue is VIA's management isn't fighting these battles?

You mean poking bears publicly that might be controversial for the sitting government? Or in conflict with what the bureaucracy in Ottawa has decided?

One should not assume that VIA was even in the room or invited to comment.

That's the lamentable lack of independence that comes from VIA not having any legal status of its own.

- Paul

Back