News   Mar 28, 2024
 384     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 285     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 315     0 

VIA Rail

Interesting. What this will mean for HFR is certainly unclear. I could imagine we will start seeing some scope creep on the HFR proposal. Certainly, the path ahead is far from clear.

To address the resolution without derailing HFR, the scope creep need be as simple as grade separation of as little as 20-30 miles of the HFR route, and declaring a modest higher zone speed (say 125 mph, which the Venture stock can likely handle). The government can point to HFR as the beginning step to HSR and say it is already building the first segment of an eventual HSR network.
No need to rush out and spend billions to accommodate the politics of the resolution.

- Paul

I hope that when we do HFR Phase II to Windsor, we can have bi-hourly service to Detroit.
Heck ... I'd settle for twice a day, let alone twice an hour!

Though I don't see Detroit being a big seller. I had the radio on the other day (a rare event these days), and the DJ was actually making fun of this ... going down the who in Toronto is going to actually want to go to Detroit - let alone by train..

Perhaps a connection through to Chicago though would be tempting.

Heck ... I'd settle for twice a day, let alone twice an hour!

Bi-hourly! Not semi-hourly!

And honestly, there's a case for it, if trains are going to Windsor anyway. More if connected to the airport over there.

Last edited:

And honestly, there's a case for it, if trains are doing to Windsor anyway.
Short-term I have a hard time seeing the case for any service that actually terminates in Windsor as opposed to Detroit, but that is predicated on the idea that Michigan Central can support pre-clearance and Amtrak can also terminate there with some sort of regional rail taking over Detroit - Pontiac - Flint

I honestly haven't seen the word bi-hourly before, but if bi-weekly can mean twice a week, I'm not sure why bi-hourly can't mean twice an hour. But does it really matter?

1618112562245.png

^Michigan-Toronto is a huge tourism draw. Not necessarily Detroit, but the burbs and places beyond. Lots of people already park at Windsor and take the train to downtown Toronto...preferable to paying parking rates in Toronto downtown hotels.
And then there is Jays vs Tigers, Maple Leafs vs Red Wings....don’t count Detroit out as a business destination, either.
And then there’s the gateway to Chicago and other destinations in the Midwest US. Certainly enough to justify morning, mid day, and afternoon services between the cities.

- Paul

I honestly haven't seen the word bi-hourly before, but if bi-weekly can mean twice a week, I'm not sure why bi-hourly can't mean twice an hour. But does it really matter?

View attachment 311911

Where do you get that bi-weekly means twice a week in Canada?

When mortgage payments are bi-weekly, do you think they are paid out twice a week?

In any event, I meant every two hours. Presumably, every second train goes past London. And if it's going to Windsor, might as well cross over.

When mortgage payments are bi-weekly, do you think they are paid out twice a week?

In any event, I meant every two hours. Presumably, every second train goes past London. And if it's going to Windsor, might as well cross over.
There's no clear pattern in English. It's ambiguous. To provide a contradicting example, biannually is twice a year.

In a Canadian dictionary.
EyvNdRGXIAAaBMh

This is why such words are often avoided, because of the ambiguity of the meaning. Though, I really don't see why we need an inquisition here - it didn't even change the meaning of the comment!

I'd be happy if the trains were twice-a-day.

Back